Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If REALLY part time, what to Charge? Long
mduck 08:04 AM 04-23-2015
DCM told me she is looking for a job change. She lives with her mom and mom cares for dcg and does the pickups when DCM is working late. I'm assuming they will try to work something out whatever her new shift might be (meaning if they could make their shifts work to where she does not need to pay childcare, I'm sure they would do it - which is fine with me if it does work out that way).

I was wondering, if she only needed care for 1.5 hours, 5 days a week, what on earth would you charge? Here is the issue. I don't care for other dcks, just her along with my other children. If she decided to go with someone else/no childcare, I would not plan to "fill" her spot and would not plan to continue daycare services at all, but would like to keep watching her dd till school age if it would work out that way. I do think that she likes our arrangement and $, especially since I do not charge if they do not show among other things.

Sooooo, at present I charge her 20.00 per day (I think 25.00 per day is pretty standard around here). From what I am reading on this forum, $5 per hour is pretty standard for per hour rate? So at the end of the week she would be using 7.5 hours ($37.50 per week). I'd probably be willing to do this IF I were watching other children (meaning I would be here anyway). BUT, I don't aside from my own children, so I would be tied to my house for just $37.50 5 times a week. Kwim? I'd do it for $50.00 per week if it were early in the am. That for some reason seems justifiable. BUT I have no idea what a center or someone else might charge her. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I do want to know what I am willing or not willing to do at the time that she gives me her new work schedule.

I just wondered, how would you handle this? I know most of you do watch more children, or plan to, so I don't know if I'll get that answer that I'm looking for.

Sorry so long - I try to keep it short, but I'm just that kind of writer I guess
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by mduck:
DCM told me she is looking for a job change. She lives with her mom and mom cares for dcg and does the pickups when DCM is working late. I'm assuming they will try to work something out whatever her new shift might be (meaning if they could make their shifts work to where she does not need to pay childcare, I'm sure they would do it - which is fine with me if it does work out that way).

I was wondering, if she only needed care for 1.5 hours, 5 days a week, what on earth would you charge? Here is the issue. I don't care for other dcks, just her along with my other children. If she decided to go with someone else/no childcare, I would not plan to "fill" her spot and would not plan to continue daycare services at all, but would like to keep watching her dd till school age if it would work out that way. I do think that she likes our arrangement and $, especially since I do not charge if they do not show among other things.

Sooooo, at present I charge her 20.00 per day (I think 25.00 per day is pretty standard around here). From what I am reading on this forum, $5 per hour is pretty standard for per hour rate? So at the end of the week she would be using 7.5 hours ($37.50 per week). I'd probably be willing to do this IF I were watching other children (meaning I would be here anyway). BUT, I don't aside from my own children, so I would be tied to my house for just $37.50 5 times a week. Kwim? I'd do it for $50.00 per week if it were early in the am. That for some reason seems justifiable. BUT I have no idea what a center or someone else might charge her. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I do want to know what I am willing or not willing to do at the time that she gives me her new work schedule.

I just wondered, how would you handle this? I know most of you do watch more children, or plan to, so I don't know if I'll get that answer that I'm looking for.

Sorry so long - I try to keep it short, but I'm just that kind of writer I guess
Is this 1.5 hours in the morning, afternoon or evening? Does a meal or nap fall into that time frame?

I'd set a flat rate like you mentioned ($50) or it wouldn't be worth you time,
I'd explain that too...most people understand.

If you do go that route though I would make sure you cap it so she isn't taking 2 hours M and then 2.25 Tues, then 2.5 Wed....etc... Say $50 for a max of 8 hours a week or something like that.
Thriftylady 08:45 AM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is this 1.5 hours in the morning, afternoon or evening? Does a meal or nap fall into that time frame?

I'd set a flat rate like you mentioned ($50) or it wouldn't be worth you time,
I'd explain that too...most people understand.

If you do go that route though I would make sure you cap it so she isn't taking 2 hours M and then 2.25 Tues, then 2.5 Wed....etc... Say $50 for a max of 8 hours a week or something like that.
I like this plan.
itlw8 09:26 AM 04-23-2015
I would not do it for less than $10 an hour
nothingwithoutjoy 10:20 AM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by mduck:
I'd do it for $50.00 per week if it were early in the am. That for some reason seems justifiable.
I think that's your answer right there...sounds like you know what would make it worth it to you. I highly doubt a center would take her for such limited hours. And even if they would, adjusting your rate to match theirs wouldn't make it right for you.
Unregistered 10:43 AM 04-23-2015
I would do a flat rate also. My drop in care rate is a dollar more per hour with a minimum charge of 4 hours.
Crazy8 12:00 PM 04-23-2015
I would only do it if the time of day were very convenient for me and it would be a flat weekly rate paid in advance whether she uses the time or not. I would also probably make it $8-10/hr. I will do $5-6/hr. during my regular daycare hours for extra kids, etc. but I wouldn't do that rate if I wasn't already working!
mduck 12:43 PM 04-23-2015
Thank you, thank you for your responses! I would prefer 7am to 8:30am so that the rest of the day is pretty much wide open. But there is a risk for ending up with 3:30 pm to 5pm which is less desirable because it ties me to my house in the middle of the day. Seriously, it's not really the care that I would be charging for but more for me being available every day of the week at those times. I think at 3:30 to 5 I would charge $15. Sounds crazy but It needs to to be worth my staying home I think.

Black cat you are right I never did think about breakfast or snacks. If I ended up doing a bfast for the morning time, it would be a big part of the rate itself. I might could do a $10/day if she wanted to bring bfast, $12 if she wanted me to. I'd think though that she might would rather do an after care rate at a center. Don't they do either $5 an hour or $10 before and after care?
rosieteddy 01:19 PM 04-23-2015
I would only do the am time.Breakfast would not be offered.I would feed my own children before daycare child arrived .If that doesn't work into your morning then I would have dcc bring her own breakfast snack.I would be paid weekly and charge at least 50.00 regardless of attendance (pd holidays ect)It would not be worth having to be home every afternoon.
Controlled Chaos 07:26 PM 04-23-2015
I think it sounds like more hassle than its worth. Just my 2 cents.
Reply Up