Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crafts for a 6 and 7 yr old
Thriftylady 02:33 PM 09-29-2015
I have two sibling girls right now. They are good girls, and are school age (kindy and 1st). They are here now 3 days a week but mom is on 12 hours switching to mostly days starting next week, right now she is on nights. So I have somewhat long evenings with them. The rainy season is coming and then the cold. My toys, they play with ten minutes and want something else. They like crafts. I am trying to think of a craft they could do over several evenings. I didn't know if something like latch hook would be good? Anyone know an appropriate project for the evenings for girls this age?
jenboo 03:03 PM 09-29-2015
The loom band things, maybe.
Beading.
Painting ceramics or a big Terra cotta pot...
Unregistered 04:11 PM 09-29-2015
Maybe look into "ECE provocations" on pinterest. Sometimes the set ups I do can interest my 7.9 yo son for a long time. For the two children, you could set it up at a higher table with 2 chairs so the littles cant bother it or even notice it. Do a new set up every week or every few days. For example I copied something I saw online. It was using bird books, paper, pencil, color pencils, magnifying glass, feathers.

Set it up really nice with a table cloth, two separate place mats or trays- each with a stack of a few papers and a pencil, then place the feathers and color pencils in baskets in the middle and stand the books up to show the covers. Don't mention the set up or say for them to do anything and see what happens! Now this would be cool if they were into birds. If they are into something or have shown any sort of interest in something, you can go with that. Horses, magnets, drawing, fashion, cooking (they might write recipes to try, make cook books- whatever they come up with but don't tell them what to do- that's what makes it end quickly- our ideas instead of theirs)... I would be really interested to see what you do, if you do some set ups!

Oh- and you wouldn't really buy anything. I am just suggesting work with what you have. But you can set it up in an older kid way a little bit, if that makes sense. You can really utilize the library with this if you are able to go.

-Calcare- forgot my password.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:13 PM 09-29-2015
Embroidery. We've spent many a wintry day with kids sitting on the couch embroidering.

Simple hand-sewing projects like making a pillow for their dolls. There are lots of great sewing projects for kids books out there these days.

Get some great craft-y books from the library and set them out with a stack of post-it notes. They can mark everything that looks good to them.
Thriftylady 04:20 PM 09-29-2015
We do have a nice little library within a mile of me so I can use that I just went there today. So embroidery is something this age can do?
nothingwithoutjoy 05:05 PM 09-29-2015
I have done embroidery with all my kids 2 and up. With littles, it takes a lot of work, because you have to do lots of threading and untangling. But 6/7 year-olds can definitely do it! I have them draw a simple picture on a piece of white fabric (loose weave; drop-cloth fabric works well for us). We use large tapestry needles and all 6 strands of floss. To start, I thread and have them come to me when they come to the end of their floss, but if they're going to be doing it a lot you're going to want to teach them to thread their own needles. This year I've got a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old (homeschoolers) awake during nap. I plan to get them going on embroidery, but first they must become independent threaders (so they won't interrupt me all through nap time!)
Thriftylady 05:35 PM 09-29-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I have done embroidery with all my kids 2 and up. With littles, it takes a lot of work, because you have to do lots of threading and untangling. But 6/7 year-olds can definitely do it! I have them draw a simple picture on a piece of white fabric (loose weave; drop-cloth fabric works well for us). We use large tapestry needles and all 6 strands of floss. To start, I thread and have them come to me when they come to the end of their floss, but if they're going to be doing it a lot you're going to want to teach them to thread their own needles. This year I've got a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old (homeschoolers) awake during nap. I plan to get them going on embroidery, but first they must become independent threaders (so they won't interrupt me all through nap time!)
I am going to look into this for sure! Thanks for the info!
nothingwithoutjoy 07:17 PM 09-29-2015
You're welcome! Hope they love it!
daycare 08:40 PM 09-29-2015
i have never seen this in the states before, but it was a picture with numbers and you would paint on the numbers according to the colors listed. I can' t recall what the name of them are or the translation to English.

however, I recall doing those as a child and love them more than anything.

Oh and another one was window glass art, but I think they were plastic, not glass.

I used to play with sugar cubes a lot when i was a kid too. I would build things with them and then melt them.

perhaps I was a odd child. lol and maybe they don't have those type of things here.
childcaremom 01:42 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Embroidery. We've spent many a wintry day with kids sitting on the couch embroidering.

Simple hand-sewing projects like making a pillow for their dolls. There are lots of great sewing projects for kids books out there these days.

Get some great craft-y books from the library and set them out with a stack of post-it notes. They can mark everything that looks good to them.

My girls love stuff like this. Do you have a sewing machine? My girls have made blankets and pillows for their dolls.

They also have little art books (just little journals, lined pages) and I put together a drawing box (pencil crayons, stamps, markers) that are just for drawing so they are special to them. They can spend hours drawing. I've also been reading to them and they like to draw while I am reading.

We have done a lot of the projects from the book "The Artful Parent". They really enjoyed those.
Laurel 04:10 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Maybe look into "ECE provocations" on pinterest. Sometimes the set ups I do can interest my 7.9 yo son for a long time. For the two children, you could set it up at a higher table with 2 chairs so the littles cant bother it or even notice it. Do a new set up every week or every few days. For example I copied something I saw online. It was using bird books, paper, pencil, color pencils, magnifying glass, feathers.

Set it up really nice with a table cloth, two separate place mats or trays- each with a stack of a few papers and a pencil, then place the feathers and color pencils in baskets in the middle and stand the books up to show the covers. Don't mention the set up or say for them to do anything and see what happens! Now this would be cool if they were into birds. If they are into something or have shown any sort of interest in something, you can go with that. Horses, magnets, drawing, fashion, cooking (they might write recipes to try, make cook books- whatever they come up with but don't tell them what to do- that's what makes it end quickly- our ideas instead of theirs)... I would be really interested to see what you do, if you do some set ups!

Oh- and you wouldn't really buy anything. I am just suggesting work with what you have. But you can set it up in an older kid way a little bit, if that makes sense. You can really utilize the library with this if you are able to go.

-Calcare- forgot my password.
Thanks, I checked it out on Pinterest. I had no idea what you were talking about but found a website that explained it. I think it is what I have been doing for years but didn't have a name for it.

I am retired from childcare officially but watch my grandchildren after school. I got rid of most of my childcare stuff but I have a set of plastic drawers that I just put interesting things in. There are art supplies and other things I find. My grandson especially goes through the drawers every day and comes up with something. It keeps him busy for a long time. I have always just left things 'lying around' for the kids to find and do what they want with.

Some cool ideas on Pinterest too. Love that place!

Laurel
lizzlee 07:12 AM 09-30-2015
I loved paint by numbers at that age. My boys have always enjoyed doing jigsaw puzzles with me, maybe a 500 piece one that you could help with? Or what about plastic canvas art, they could make autumn leaves and pumpkins and Christmas ornaments later on. I find a lot of ideas in the Wal Mart craft section, I don't usually buy their pre-packaged kits but I found a cute jewelry kit for around $5 the other day with enough materials for several pieces of jewelry.
Thriftylady 07:41 AM 09-30-2015
These girls won't do a puzzle. They say "we can't do it". Where do you find the plastic canvas stuff? I was hoping some that was printed on or something to make it easier for them as starters. WM has canvas but just plain canvas that is it.
MsLisa 08:26 AM 09-30-2015
I live in the land of SA kids. lol.
My K thru 1st grade girls love:

~ Coloring sheets based on things they are into (aka Littlest Pet Shop, cats, etc.).
~ Water color painting. (The dollar tree has glittery paint that's really cool too.)
~ Play-doh. (Omg, they spend the entire time just making stuff without a peep.)
~ Making bracelets/necklaces with beads & string. (Huge hit with all SA kids)
~ White paper, scrap construction paper, markers, glue and scissors. They will cut, glue and make things for hours.

Avoid loom bands. Even my 3rd graders who use to "loom" had a hard time with them. Our puzzles never get touched either and I have all kinds. I've noticed K&1st are very much about making you or someone something, where as 3rd and up are more into intricate crafts like flubber, tape crafts, and etc for themselves.

(If you want my Pinterest link i'll pm you it for more ideas. Crafts & SA kids are my speciality )
Thriftylady 09:56 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
I live in the land of SA kids. lol.
My K thru 1st grade girls love:

~ Coloring sheets based on things they are into (aka Littlest Pet Shop, cats, etc.).
~ Water color painting. (The dollar tree has glittery paint that's really cool too.)
~ Play-doh. (Omg, they spend the entire time just making stuff without a peep.)
~ Making bracelets/necklaces with beads & string. (Huge hit with all SA kids)
~ White paper, scrap construction paper, markers, glue and scissors. They will cut, glue and make things for hours.

Avoid loom bands. Even my 3rd graders who use to "loom" had a hard time with them. Our puzzles never get touched either and I have all kinds. I've noticed K&1st are very much about making you or someone something, where as 3rd and up are more into intricate crafts like flubber, tape crafts, and etc for themselves.

(If you want my Pinterest link i'll pm you it for more ideas. Crafts & SA kids are my speciality )
You can PM it I am always looking for ideas. I found some cut plastic canvas pieces, but I have never done them before have to google how. I also got some cloth and materials for embroidery, but have to look that up also. I did a tad bit years ago don't remember how.
SilverSabre25 12:43 PM 09-30-2015
How about perler beads, or teach them ti make friendship bracelets?

My 7 year old loves books that tell you how to draw things, and more intricate coloring books.
daycare 12:58 PM 09-30-2015
do you have a video camera you don't really use anymore?

i let my 5 yr olds use my old one and they make funny videos for hours on end. i play it back on the tv for them and we all watch it. OMG are they funny to watch.

we did some over the summer when it was blazing hot outside that we couldn't go out.

BUT if I have to hear let it go one more time, well I just might not be back here on the form...lol
Sunshine74 09:23 PM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
These girls won't do a puzzle. They say "we can't do it". Where do you find the plastic canvas stuff? I was hoping some that was printed on or something to make it easier for them as starters. WM has canvas but just plain canvas that is it.
Maybe you could get the plastic canvas and then use permant marker to draw the picture or design on them to make it easier for them

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
How about perler beads, or teach them ti make friendship bracelets?
My 7 year old loves books that tell you how to draw things, and more intricate coloring books.
We went through so many of these this summer with our SA that we should have bought stock in the company. They have a lot of designs online too, if they want to make something specific.
Thriftylady 09:40 AM 10-01-2015
Last night we tried embroidery. Neither of them could seem to get how to even hold it or pull the needle up from the bottom in the right place. Then we tried the canvas. It was going great until I got up to make their snack and all of a sudden both of them said "I can't do it alone". GRR I need to find something to keep these two occupied.
Reply Up