Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! 2 Under 2
scoobysmama 01:46 PM 05-08-2019
Hi all,

I just opened this week, and I only have one full time dcb (23 months old) and my own son (18 months old). Sometimes they play together well, and other times they are just crazy- running around the house, fighting over toys, throwing toys, etc. In the 3 days that I have been opened, one or the other has hit their head each day. The dcb pushed my son on the first day and he hit his head on the floor. The second day, my son fell off his chair at the kid's table and hit his head. The third day, the dcb and my son were fighting over a toy and the dcb fell backward and hit his head.

I swear I'm constantly monitoring them and putting out fires. These three times just happened so fast, I couldn't stop it in time.

I feel like I'm really bad at this! Help!
Blackcat31 02:17 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by scoobysmama:
Hi all,

I just opened this week, and I only have one full time dcb (23 months old) and my own son (18 months old). Sometimes they play together well, and other times they are just crazy- running around the house, fighting over toys, throwing toys, etc. In the 3 days that I have been opened, one or the other has hit their head each day. The dcb pushed my son on the first day and he hit his head on the floor. The second day, my son fell off his chair at the kid's table and hit his head. The third day, the dcb and my son were fighting over a toy and the dcb fell backward and hit his head.

I swear I'm constantly monitoring them and putting out fires. These three times just happened so fast, I couldn't stop it in time.

I feel like I'm really bad at this! Help!
Welcome to the world of child care. You are NOT really bad at this. They are toddlers. That's pretty much what they do. all.day.long.

I'd strive for equal group time together as well as periods of individual play. BOTH are beneficial to them.
Ariana 02:43 PM 05-08-2019
Agree that you are not bad at this and Childcare has a steep learning curve. The best thing you can do is try to predict accidents as best as you can. If kid does X, what is the worst outcome that can happen and act from there.

I would also put a stop to the running around the house. Set up shelves or bookcases or any kind of obstacle that makes it really hard for them to run!
Pestle 02:47 PM 05-08-2019
You can change the environment to discourage horseplay.

You can change your own behavior to encourage their compliance.

You can't make them not have these impulses and behaviors. If you could, parents could leave their kids home alone safely and we'd all be out of work!
LysesKids 05:30 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
You can change the environment to discourage horseplay.

You can change your own behavior to encourage their compliance.

You can't make them not have these impulses and behaviors. If you could, parents could leave their kids home alone safely and we'd all be out of work!
THIS lol.. I use to do infant only childcare; all 4 were under 24 months all the time. I closed my home last year after 18 years of childcare
rosieteddy 06:55 AM 05-09-2019
You are defiantly not bad at this.As others have said set your space up for less room to run around in first.I always felt that a routine helped.Short time for free play .Maybe set them up with blocks animals or some other activity that they can do next to each other but not necessarily with each other.Mals and snacks take up time.Maybe a walk around the neighborhood before outdoor play.Use a stroller to push and teach them to hold on to the handle.I always used "safety straps"helped them learn to hold on.You could push your child to start then when he turns 2 teach him to hold on.The key is to keep them somewhat occupied and not a free for all.Good luck each day will get better.
Mom2Two 11:20 AM 05-10-2019
If they are fighting over a toy, I just remind kids that there are plenty of XYZ's (cars or whatever they are fighting over) and I tell them to find their own toy. They may not understand right away, but if you keep it up and help them to each find their own toy, they'll get it eventually.

ITA with PPs that more directed activities can help if free play isn't going smoothly.

A big one for me is that when there are older children present, the younger ones take cues from the older ones. It really helps.
scoobysmama 03:01 PM 05-11-2019
Part of the problem might be unstructured time. I'm really struggling to keep them occupied while I prepare meals and clean up. I try to do most of the food prep ahead of time, but I still have to warm things up and cut everything up for them. Even that takes a long time because I'm constantly stopping to redirect them from throwing, running, or climbing. Another problem is if I'm changing one of their diapers or putting on sunscreen- the other sometimes gets into trouble. Any advice?
LK5kids 05:20 PM 05-12-2019
I have four under 2 yrs and two who will be 3 next month. All those toddlers are a challenge!!
Jo123ABC 12:00 PM 05-13-2019
See attachment! I have no regrets with this purchase nor the sacrificing of a good size part of my living room! I originally bought it for infants to have a safe space while I need to cook, clean, change a diaper, etc. I use it with the 2 toddler boys I have all the time! Keeping one or the other out of trouble for a few minutes while doing something or if one is being particularly naughty he'll spend some time in there. If I'm not containing a kiddo all of the kids will randomly play in there. They love that play mat (as do I) another of my top favorite purchases. I used to have the puzzle kind in there but they'd just rip them apart so I bought this one from Amazon. So worth it!
Attached: 1e.jpg (234.1 KB) 
Tags:hectic, horseplay, overwhelmed, putting out fires, rough play
Reply Up