Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiting For My First Home Inspection!!
LittleMunchkinsDC 08:38 AM 08-14-2016
Hello Everyone I am new to this site and this is my first post so sorry if it is too long! I am a mom of 2 young adults, my son is 22 years old and in the Navy and my daughter is a senior in high school. Finally taking the plunge and starting my daycare. We live just north of Sacramento, California and have completed all the requirements. Hoping someone has some advice or suggestions with some questions.
1. I didn't mark any of the bedrooms off limits, is it too late to change that when they come out for the inspection?
2. When the analyst comes, do they tell you things that need to be fixed and give you a chance to fix them or does the application get denied?
3.If you build a partition in a garage do you need permits?
4. The off limits bedrooms do they have to be pad locked with a key or can you just put one of those plastic safety knobs on the door knob?
Sorry for all the questions and hopefully what I posted wasnt too confusing Thanks for any advice and help
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 08-14-2016
Originally Posted by LittleMunchkinsDC:
Hello Everyone I am new to this site and this is my first post so sorry if it is too long! I am a mom of 2 young adults, my son is 22 years old and in the Navy and my daughter is a senior in high school. Finally taking the plunge and starting my daycare. We live just north of Sacramento, California and have completed all the requirements. Hoping someone has some advice or suggestions with some questions.
1. I didn't mark any of the bedrooms off limits, is it too late to change that when they come out for the inspection?
2. When the analyst comes, do they tell you things that need to be fixed and give you a chance to fix them or does the application get denied?
4. The off limits bedrooms do they have to be pad locked with a key or can you just put one of those plastic safety knobs on the door knob?
Sorry for all the questions and hopefully what I posted wasnt too confusing Thanks for any advice and help
Welcome!

Lots of California providers here so I am sure they will have lots of help/advice for you!
spedmommy4 10:59 AM 08-14-2016
Originally Posted by LittleMunchkinsDC:
1. In California, my analyst let me change my off limits area at the initial licensing visit. There is no rule saying you can't.
2. If the fix is simple, the analyst will usually allow you to fix it on the spot. For example, if you forgot an outlet cover and you have an extra, that's an easy fix. You could still get your license that day. If it couldn't be fixed that day, the analyst would give you a list of thing to fix before you could be licensed. You would schedule a follow up inspection and would get your license after you fixed the items and completed the follow up inspection.
Your application would only be denied if you or your home didn't meet the criteria. (Eg: couldn't pass background clearance, unsafe environment,or not enough square footage)
3) Regarding permits, you'd want to check with your local building permit department. Licensing requires you to have the area reinspected if you add one and are using it for childcare. Otherwise, they don't care.
4) My analyst said the plastic door covers were fine. In my experience with California, analysts may have their own ideas about what makes a room inaccessible.

Good luck on your inspection!
LittleMunchkinsDC 10:08 PM 08-14-2016
Thanks for responding I appreciate it
Missjaime 07:52 AM 08-18-2016
I am here in Sacramento too! Welcome! I was very nervous about my first inspection too, but was surprised about how easy it was. I had bedrooms that I said were unavailable to the kids - all I did was shut the doors. No locks or anything. I was worried about my fireplace not being locked up - the inspector suggested I put an ottoman in front of it so the kids couldn't get to it! It was soooooo much easier than I thought it would be. Lots of stress for no reason. She checked in all the inaccessible rooms as well, just to make sure there wasn't anything crazy in there, I guess, but in future inspections they aren't even allowed to check in inaccessible rooms. My lady was very kind and helpful - hopefully you get someone just as kind!
Good luck!
Reply Up