Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Second Shift
missD 12:46 PM 01-18-2015
I was hoping to get some feedback on operating a childcare home that was strictly second shift hours? My husband works night shift and sleeps through the day. I've been wanting to open my childcare for such a long tine and have had set backs. I cared for a few kids in the past. I'm ready to get up and going again, but hubby is worried about the childcare completely taking over the house. He doesn't want me doing first shift because he feels he won't be able to come hone in the mornings and relax and is also worried about having the house quiet enough for him to sleep.
So, what are your thoughts on second shift? Do you think I could be successful in operating with that shift alone.
LysesKids 01:12 PM 01-18-2015
What do you consider 2nd shift? 2-11pm, 3-midnight? are you near a hospital that has 12 hr shifts (essentially 13 hrs for care like 6-6 or 7-7 shift) or are you near a factory? Not a lot of restaurants are open past a certain time, what then? Look and see if 2nd shift makes sense or if 3rd might be better for you since your dh is gone overnight ... he might not get enough sleep if people need to start dropping earlier than 2pm. Of course you have to factor in time for your own kids too... do they have activities after school? Do you go to church on Wed night? That all comes into play ( BTW, I did care in IN 10 years ago and offered care to the dancers at clubs ... you know night shift people lol... just a thought - it's cash daily if you are in a city that has them)
missD 02:02 PM 01-18-2015
I'm about 5 miles from Louisville,Ky and there are many hospitals there. I'm just right across the bridge. I was thinking to start drop offs around 2pm. My kids don't have any after school activities and we are pretty much home bodies through the week.
Second Home 02:54 PM 01-18-2015
You should also check with the state regulations . In some areas they require a bed ( not cots or mats ) for each child if they are kept overnight . Would you have room for more beds / cribs .
Also you may have to be awake the whole night while there are kids in your care , would you be able to do that and also care for your own children during the day ?
missD 03:10 PM 01-18-2015
I would like to do something like 2pm-10pm. So they wouldn't be in my care completely overnight. If there's even a need for that schedule.
missD 05:10 PM 01-18-2015
We have a full finished basement, but no egress window down there. If I could get one of those windows installed, I could operate the childcare in the basement and I would be able to just offer a normal 12hr shift through the day. And my hubby would be able to rest and relax upstairs. The downfall, with that is not having a restroom downstairs. So there woukd still be trips up here. Ugh, I'm just torn. I've wanted to operate a successful childcare home for so long. I'm just really struggling with how to manage it.
Unregistered 05:14 PM 01-18-2015
Could you make a bedroom for your hubby in the basement? Kind of a dark daytime mancave? A bed, white noise to block out sounds and room darken shades or curtains.
Controlled Chaos 07:45 AM 01-19-2015
I did daycare while dh worked overnight shifts. We needed my income to survive, so there weren't a lot of options. It was tough. His sleep was often interrupted. Putting the bedroom in the basement and DC upstairs is an interesting solution.
missD 09:40 AM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I did daycare while dh worked overnight shifts. We needed my income to survive, so there weren't a lot of options. It was tough. His sleep was often interrupted. Putting the bedroom in the basement and DC upstairs is an interesting solution.
How did you manage to make it work? Do you have any advice? I think the bedroom downstairs is a good idea as well. But, he thinks it might not work because then he would hear them stomping around all day. I feel like this is a no win. It sounds easy enough putting that egress window in, but I have a feeling it's going to cost a fortune.
Tags:second shift
Reply Up