Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do in a Major Emergency?
Daycare Darling 07:19 AM 01-25-2020
Those with a small single provider daycare, what would you do in the case of hospitalization of self or child? I'm a small unregistered daycare in NJ, here you can have up to five kids. I often wonder what would I do in some sort of freak accident, like if you were outside with the kids and a tree branch fell and struck you or a child. Would you send the child alone in the ambulance? I don't see it possible for caregiver and four other children to accompany said child? What if it was yourself? What can you do when you have a serious injury where can't wait for five parents to come from 1/2 hour or an hour away? I've tried to look up protocol but can't find anything for single provider care.
PB&J 07:52 AM 01-25-2020
I would have to send the child alone. My son is a 911 paramedic and I can tell you that first responders take very good care and comfort of children alone, and they make sure hospital personnel are aware. At the hospitals here, someone is assigned to stay with the child until family arrives. I would make sure to keep calling family and emergency contacts until I reach someone in person, to make sure that someone who the child knows is aware and responding.
This is in our handbook, so parents know the procedure before signing up.
flying_babyb 08:42 AM 01-25-2020
when I used to nanny for 4 kids, I would take a phone with me everywere. I taught the oldest two how to dail 911. I also taught them to read a paper out of my pocket. It said "I am at ____ st in any city, state. I need help. My nanny is hurt and needs help now.
Never had to use it but it made me feel safter that the kids could call if needed.
Daycare Darling 09:26 AM 01-25-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
when I used to nanny for 4 kids, I would take a phone with me everywere. I taught the oldest two how to dail 911. I also taught them to read a paper out of my pocket. It said "I am at ____ st in any city, state. I need help. My nanny is hurt and needs help now.
Never had to use it but it made me feel safter that the kids could call if needed.
The note idea is good it reminds me of an idea I thought of for outside/field trips which is to get the kids ID bracelets with thier name parent contact and daycare name if caregiver (myself) is injured as all my dck are under 3 thanks
Unregistered 12:29 PM 01-25-2020
Do you have an emergency substitute? It can be a spouse, a neighbor, a friend who lives close by. I have all of the kids emergency contact numbers in a pocket taped inside the kitchen cabinet so that their parents can be contacted by the emergency substitute to come pick up in the case of an emergency. If I ever have to dial 911, the very next call I make is to my substitute who is ideally able to make it to my home in 5 minutes. Then I will try my best to make sure that I can go with the sick/hurt kiddo while a neighbor or my substitute steps in to watch the other kids and make calls for pick up.
rosieteddy 07:07 PM 01-26-2020
I also had a neighbor on call in case of emergency.
flying_babyb 05:03 PM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by Daycare Darling:
The note idea is good it reminds me of an idea I thought of for outside/field trips which is to get the kids ID bracelets with thier name parent contact and daycare name if caregiver (myself) is injured as all my dck are under 3 thanks
Great idea!!! we have a big orange band on the stroller that says "Emergency information in basket" then have laminated emergency cards in there.
Tags:emergency phone numbers
Reply Up