Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Preschool Article; Feb. 27th, 2012
Cat Herder 12:34 PM 02-29-2012
Very interesting read.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/242148.php
Country Kids 12:44 PM 02-29-2012
I would believe it 100%. Most children from poorer families don't have the resources that wealthy families would have. From the posts I read about families on subsidy I can see how alot of these children would be behind. Alot of you say they come in with no skills, unwashed, don't know basic preschool things. It shows that either the parents don't have the resources or the skills themselves to do it. That is why I believe in having some sort of preschool in my childcare so that mine are ready to go when kindergarten arrives!
Solandia 12:47 PM 02-29-2012
I like debates. LOL, but I will keep myself in check, and not all crazy.

Nice article. Way old info. The same studies were done in the 70s, 80s, 90s, all with the same info. This was the whole reason why head start even started...adn then got out of freak in control.

And preschools, school boards, and anti-homeschoolers...still ignore the FACT that preschools and (and kindergarten, actually) are only clearly advantageous to disadvantages/low income kids. So we still have more and more academics, early and earlier...because of studies that prove preschool helps....some kids.
nannyde 12:56 PM 02-29-2012
For kids from wealthier backgrounds, with more stimulating environments, there was no difference between children who went to preschool and those who didn't. "

Oh wow. Really????

You can think about it... study it... research it... have meetings about it... get some taxpayers to pay for it.... but what you CAN'T get is any measurable outcomes for any group other than really poor kids.

I wish the researchers would quit it already with the preschool stuff because try as they might they won't get a different result.

I wish they would research preschoolers food and sleep. We need that info a heckuvalot more.
SilverSabre25 01:04 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For kids from wealthier backgrounds, with more stimulating environments, there was no difference between children who went to preschool and those who didn't. "

Oh wow. Really????

You can think about it... study it... research it... have meetings about it... get some taxpayers to pay for it.... but what you CAN'T get is any measurable outcomes for any group other than really poor kids.

I wish the researchers would quit it already with the preschool stuff because try as they might they won't get a different result.

I wish they would research preschoolers food and sleep. We need that info a heckuvalot more.
ahhh, but you see, nanny, the researchers are not (usually) in charge of what they are going to study...there are people/organizations(the government) that pay the researchers to do the study. Those people/orgs/gov WANT this preschool study done over and over because they are looking for more and more reasons to push academics harder and harder for everyone. There's money there...there's no money in "it only helps some people".

Also, when you figure that there's no money in "Preschoolers also need good food and more sleep", there's your answer why that's not getting studied. Better food = more expensive= less profit. More sleep = hell no, parents aren't going to be on board with that = no magic bean or book or product that can sold.

Research is as much a political thing as government is, sadly.

Furthermore, realize that the more the same study is done again and again with the exact same results, the more reliable we know that result to be. They have replicated the data several times now...maybe someone will start to realize that it's true and we'll start to see some shifts.
nannyde 01:29 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ahhh, but you see, nanny, the researchers are not (usually) in charge of what they are going to study...there are people/organizations(the government) that pay the researchers to do the study. Those people/orgs/gov WANT this preschool study done over and over because they are looking for more and more reasons to push academics harder and harder for everyone. There's money there...there's no money in "it only helps some people".

Also, when you figure that there's no money in "Preschoolers also need good food and more sleep", there's your answer why that's not getting studied. Better food = more expensive= less profit. More sleep = hell no, parents aren't going to be on board with that = no magic bean or book or product that can sold.

Research is as much a political thing as government is, sadly.

Furthermore, realize that the more the same study is done again and again with the exact same results, the more reliable we know that result to be. They have replicated the data several times now...maybe someone will start to realize that it's true and we'll start to see some shifts.

Right on the "money" Silver.
Tags:article, disadvantaged children, preschool, research, science
Reply Up