Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Parent Highschooler
grateday 12:01 PM 02-03-2015
Anyone have any experience when working with a daycare parent who is in highschool.

I am a little concerned in many ways as to how such an arrangement would work and if an arrangement like this has been successfull for other providers.

One thing I wonder about is the maturity level, the expectations, the generation gap, social media, drama

What I would hope to accomplish with a high school student is that while there child is in my care that they would graduate high school.

Extended family dynamics etc.

I wonder if you have to spell things out a little more with a high school student regarding the norms of family childcare?? Has anyone ever had boundary issues here in this arena (parenting the parent/ going above and beyond or not).

Its reallly hard to gage and can someone offer some pointers in this situation? I have a high schooler interviewing and I want to make expectations and boundaries clear but also help in the ways that I feasibly can as a provider.
jenboo 12:08 PM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by grateday:
Anyone have any experience when working with a daycare parent who is in highschool.

I am a little concerned in many ways as to how such an arrangement would work and if an arrangement like this has been successfull for other providers.

One thing I wonder about is the maturity level, the expectations, the generation gap, social media, drama

What I would hope to accomplish with a high school student is that while there child is in my care that they would graduate high school.

I wonder if you have to spell things out a little more with a high school student regarding the norms of family childcare?? Has anyone ever had boundary issues here in this arena (parenting the parent/ going above and beyond or not).

Its reallly hard to gage and can someone offer some pointers in this situation? I have a high schooler interviewing and I want to make expectations and boundaries clear but also help in the ways that I feasibly can as a provider.
It really depends on the person. Not all high schoolers are the same. Not all young people are the same.. Do the interview and treat them as you would any client. They aren't different. They don't need to be judged.
I would go about everything as I would with a parent who was 30 and working a career.
crazydaycarelady 12:10 PM 02-03-2015
I'd go about it normally too unless an issue comes up. This high schooler may have grown up a lot the last few months, or maybe not.
LysesKids 12:20 PM 02-03-2015
If you do happen to take her on her, you will need one of her parents as cosigner if she isn't 18; can't contract with a minor. I personally would interview her with a parent because more than likely the parent will do pick ups if kid is ill or you can't get ahold of mom (they can't have phones in school, but you can call the office and have her paged because baby is ill).

I took on 2 high schoolers years ago... lasted 7 months; became a pain in the ass after awhile because the 2 girls had a falling out at school and moms hated each other ( small town in IL). Yeah, I would do one at a time, but make sure the grandparents are involved... maturity will come into play big time
grateday 12:31 PM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
If you do happen to take her on her, you will need one of her parents as cosigner if she isn't 18; can't contract with a minor. I personally would interview her with a parent because more than likely the parent will do pick ups if kid is ill or you can't get ahold of mom (they can't have phones in school, but you can call the office and have her paged because baby is ill).

I took on 2 high schoolers years ago... lasted 7 months; became a pain in the ass after awhile because the 2 girls had a falling out at school and moms hated each other ( small town in IL). Yeah, I would do one at a time, but make sure the grandparents are involved... maturity will come into play big time
Thank you for that piece of information, this is new to me.
grateday 12:32 PM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
It really depends on the person. Not all high schoolers are the same. Not all young people are the same.. Do the interview and treat them as you would any client. They aren't different. They don't need to be judged.
I would go about everything as I would with a parent who was 30 and working a career.
You are right about that, but I cannot help it because it takes a long time to reach the maturity of a 30 year old but having a child definately pushes you there faster.......Who knows they could be great.
KiddieCahoots 12:37 PM 02-03-2015
I've had multiple high school dcm's, without much success.
Lack of maturity or sense of responsibility played a huge role in the failure of the working relationship.
Dia 07:31 PM 02-04-2015
I recently took on a 3 yr old child whom I thought her mom was still in high school. Now I believe that she must have finished high school last year, I really don't pry into personal issues, as long as they fill out all of the paperwork I ask for which does not include information about age or if they are in high school... Really don't think we can even legally ask someone's age, although I may be wrong..... Her mom attended with her, they signed the little girl up for a part time program, advised me that the grandmothers (one from each side) were both going in to pay half of daycare each week. And at the same time never a drop of information about the father of the little girl, no where is he stated on the paperwork, it is as if he doesn't exist. The first day of drop off they brought the paternal grandmother to meet me, said she may pick her up on occasion although they also left her off of ALL paperwork. Never seen her since. The thing is I don't feel that this is any of my business..... They follow the rules like anyone else, they pay on time, any further than that and I correct things as I see them come up and the grandmother and mom have no problem conforming.

This is also a unique situation and I can only give you this experience with a high school mother as it is my only experience thus far. ( I think I may have missed the point of why I feel this is a high school mom, the little girl has been coming to daycare 3 days a week for 6 months now and the mom only just now started working a couple of weeks ago, they were always open about the mother not working but never explained what it was she actually did all day and stated several times that they wanted to put the little girl in daycare to give the grandmother a break.....?
DaveA 03:38 AM 02-05-2015
I've had several both in centers and home over the years. There isn't much middle ground: either they work out great or are complete disasters. If they have family helping them, make sure they are at the interview (if dcm is under 18 you'll need an adult for the contract anyway). Make sure EVERYONE understands rates, hours, and policies. Often times the issue doesn't come from dcm but Grandma trying to tell everyone (including you) how it should be done.
Annalee 04:53 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by grateday:

I have an 18 yr old mom at this time whom was 14 when I started keeping her six-week old. She is now pregnant with her third, due in May. She is still with the father of all three. In the beginning they lived with her parents whom paid child care fees. This year after graduation for both parents, they have jobs and have moved in a trailer beside her parents. It has worked....When I originally enrolled the infant, the mom and her parents come for the interview but this year the actual mom and dad were excited to feel in control of their own contract and paying on their own.
daycarediva 09:20 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I had my daughter in 10th grade. I graduated early, worked evenings and remained with her father (still married with 3 more children). Give her a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised! I also REALLY valued my childcare provider. I was a completely new parent with very little/no family support. She was awesome at helping me navigate the ins and outs of infant feeding, development, safe sleep, etc. I kept my kids with her until I left my day job after baby #3. We keep in touch to this day! She's still a provider in my hometown.

She started the relationship off on the right foot by treating me as an equal. There was no special, I picked up and paid on time like everyone else.
Annalee 09:56 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I had my daughter in 10th grade. I graduated early, worked evenings and remained with her father (still married with 3 more children). Give her a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised! I also REALLY valued my childcare provider. I was a completely new parent with very little/no family support. She was awesome at helping me navigate the ins and outs of infant feeding, development, safe sleep, etc. I kept my kids with her until I left my day job after baby #3. We keep in touch to this day! She's still a provider in my hometown.

She started the relationship off on the right foot by treating me as an equal.
There was no special, I picked up and paid on time like everyone else.
I think being non-judgmental and treating them like "they" can handle this is huge in developing a provider/client relationship. This parent I have now received enough ridicule in school without me throwing my two cents in. Her children have always been clean and cared for....She has NOT received any state child care assistance due to her remaining in her parents home. I really bragged on her after she graduated high school because that was a big thing especially when she had two children upon graduating....Now she and the father are working and living in their own trailer. They do receive help from her parents still and live beside them but they are trying. As long as they follow my contract, I am good with that.
Starburst 06:47 PM 02-05-2015
I always wondered how that would work because when I was in taking child development classes for family child care, they said the state (CA at the time) says while anyone can drop off the the daycare child that only an adult over 18 could pick up the child because of liability reasons (EX: a 7 year olds 16 year old older sibling picks them up and they get in an accident on the way home you may get in trouble because the 16 year old is not a legal adult). Though I'm sure there must be an exception if the 16 year old is the parent.

At the one home daycare I worked at when I was 16/17 there was one mom that was my age (maybe a bit older, I'm not sure if she ever finished high school) and before she was 20 she had two kids under the age of 4 by two different men and was dating a new guy and talking about wanting to have a baby with him, I'm pretty sure he didn't have a job and she worked with her dad who was the manager of Albertson's (right at the time they were closing the local stores). And her dad was the one paying for daycare, which by the way the lady I worked for happened to charge one of the highest rates in town; they were always late and there were several times where the owner had to use the "no pay, no play" because they were late or that they just withdrew because they couldn't afford it (they came back and forth a few times before she finally terminated).

But it all depends on the individual, parenthood can change people who were once reckless, but not always.

But I understand what you mean about them possibly having unrealistic expectations. There was one time I was looking for babysitting/nanny jobs on care.com in a small town I used to live in and one girl said she was a teen mom who needed someone to watch her baby while she was at school. She wanted a sitter with at least 10 'great references', a degree in child development, a car, no children of their own that needed to go with them or any type of group care (because she wants her child to have one on one attention) and only wanted to pay them $5 an hour. The average in my area for a nanny/sitter in my town for a baby was about $11. She might have been luckier with that price and those credentials if she was willing to go to a home daycare (there were a lot in my area that low balled just to get clients) or even a stay at home mom who would be able to bring their children or for her to drop the baby off there.
daycarediva 09:27 AM 02-06-2015
In my state I became legally an adult/emancipated the day I had my daughter. I was 16. I had an apartment/contract, had bills/utilities in my name, and was establishing credit.

My husband was 19 at the time, we both worked and went to school. Dh graduated from college the year I graduated high school. I went on to college but when ds was born, he was very sick/nicu for months, and I took a semester off...that turned into 2, then years. I am now in my 30's and almost have a bachelors degree.

We have never received any type of state assistance, and as I said, we had very little family help. Nobody bought diapers, picked up my kids from daycare, or watched them so we could go out.

We were flying solo. I also find that the more mature/responsible parents I have had (regardless of age) are the ones without help from Mommy and Daddy.
Tags:parents
Reply Up