Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Question About Food Program Tiering
Leigh 02:27 PM 07-27-2016
Does being on Medicaid make a child categorically eligible for the food program's high tier?
organicdclady 05:18 PM 07-27-2016
My monitor told me no. If the parents are on cash aid/food stamps that would make the child eligible.
Blackcat31 05:27 PM 07-27-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Does being on Medicaid make a child categorically eligible for the food program's high tier?
Is the child a foster child?
Is his/her whole family on Medicaid (if you know)?
Is the child disabled?

I would think if the child and/or family qualifies for Medicaid they would also qualify for the FP. Doesnt the Federal Dept of Children and Families set the income guidelines for both programs?

I don't know...
Thriftylady 05:59 PM 07-27-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is the child a foster child?
Is his/her whole family on Medicaid (if you know)?
Is the child disabled?

I would think if the child and/or family qualifies for Medicaid they would also qualify for the FP. Doesnt the Federal Dept of Children and Families set the income guidelines for both programs?

I don't know...

I think that with Obama care some states raised the income guidelines for medicaid. The only way to know the answer I think is to know the answer to the other questions, the main one being income amount.
satcook 06:12 AM 07-28-2016
There are also kids on medicaid waivers, where the parent's income doesn't matter and they automatically qualify.

Lori
daycarediva 06:40 AM 07-28-2016
Originally Posted by satcook:
There are also kids on medicaid waivers, where the parent's income doesn't matter and they automatically qualify.

Lori
A disabled child would be eligible, but we have a monthly "spend down". Our child has a life long disability, but we have too much income to qualify. We have to pay so much either in cash or towards medical bills/services before he is eligible that month.
Reply Up