Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Mom Expects Special Treatment?
hgonzalez 03:37 PM 08-11-2016
I have two girls here, sisters, that have both been here since they were infants and they spend the summer with me and my daycare. We decided today that since we will have 3 less little ones tomorrow, that it would be a great time for a pool/sprinkler/slip and slide afternoon. We plan to go out after nap, have snack outside and do water play. I tell all my families to bring towels/swimsuits and that we will be out at the end of the day.
The last pickup is the mom of the two girls. I tell her our plans and she says it's not going to work because they are going on an outing right after pickup from daycare. I let her know that I have already told everyone else, and if they are not able to participate they can do so another time. She gets just furious, and asks if I can send them inside to change their clothes before pick up. I told her I am not going to bring a bunch of wet kids inside (6 others) and that I can't let them be inside of the house alone. She steamed out the door in anger and left.
I was going to offer to have them change in the garage, I could set up something for privacy. But I didn't even get a chance.
I felt like saying, 'why don't you come 15 mins early and bring them home and have them change their clothes at home'. I feel like they always want special treatment for their kids and it is getting old.
Do any of you have parents like that, and how do you handle them?
Boymom 04:18 PM 08-11-2016
Wow! Does she normally act so rude and disrespectful? You are wanting to let the kids have fun outside and she reacts that way? I don't understand people!
spedmommy4 04:50 PM 08-11-2016
Whoa! I typically handle tantruming adults in the same way I handle tantruming children. I present the options in a matter of fact way and then ignore the behavior. If an adult persisted in disrespectful behavior, I would call them on it.

My response to this parent would have been something like, "I understand that you are frustrated because you have plans but I cannot disappoint an entire group of children to accommodate those plans. Additionally, since licensing regulations require me to supervise your children at all times, I can't send them in to dress alone. The options are no water play or an early pick up. Just let me know which you prefer." Big smile
Reply Up