Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ugghhh....potty training again
cheerfuldom 07:05 AM 01-17-2012
DCM came in this morning and said that grandma worked with DCG over the 3 day holiday for potty training and she went several times in the potty. I was shocked because this child is not ready at all (and she wasn't the last time they tried too!)....then DCM says that grandma was putting her on the potty every 15 minutes! WTH?! of course she went on the potty, she was sitting on it for three days straight.

this child is 2.5 with delays across the board. she barely started walking at around 2, struggles to get in and out of a chair, cannot jump or run yet. She also struggles verbally and only has a few basic phrases (definitely not ready to say "I have to go potty"). she also almost always wears clothes that are extremely small and tight on her and not conducive to potty training. she can take some of it off (she's a diaper diver during nap time) but forget about putting anything on herself. she also still struggles to self feed.

all that to say that I am not looking forward to this next try at potty training. mom sent pullups today and I agree to try for one week. if she has no progress....its back to diapers full time. I also said that I will only be trying her once an hour for potty training. Thats what I do with the other three that I have potty trained. Sometimes we can try every 30 minutes but I can't guarantee that.
Lilbutterflie 08:51 AM 01-17-2012
Wow, I wonder if the parents have had her tested since she has had delays on all of her major milestones?

I would explain to her parents in a very nice way that she is just not ready since she can't express the need to use the bathroom yet. I know a lot of daycare providers on this forum require full potty training at home before they will begin potty training at daycare... that could also be your way out of this, too. A few "successes" over the long weekend does not mean fully potty trained!

I have my own potty training vent, too. I have a new 4 yr old boy who comes twice a week. He never has any accidents; goes peepee on the potty all day. But he REFUSES to poop on the potty. His mom says he is scared to physically sit on the toilet (which definitely seems to be the case with me also). But I told myself from day 1 this is not my problem to fix; especially since I only have him two days a week. I would never get anywhere with it. I told her that in a nice way. Anyway, the routine is that he tells me he has to poop, he gets a pullup and goes inside the bathroom to poop. Then I have to change a huge four year old poopy diaper. I am getting tired of it real quick. I have tried to get him to sit on the potty but he gets hysterical. Again, I only have him two days a week, so even if I did find a way to get him to do it; it would go away the other 5 days a week b/c his mom isn't trying to correct this problem at all.
cheerfuldom 09:02 AM 01-17-2012
oh she's been tested and is in therapy, etc. finally got mom to take her for an evaluation...that a whole 'nother thread.
momma2girls 09:03 AM 01-17-2012
If anyone would like my potty training clause in my contract- I can sure write it up to you-
Reply Up