Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Rent This Location To Start My Daycare Business?
Unregistered 10:23 AM 12-10-2014
Hello everyone. I've been looking for a location to start up a children daycare center. However, most of the location I visited was either a bad location or rent is too high.
I found a place on a busy location. People who drive to downtown to work most likely will pass by this location. Now my question is, the new location I like was previously a restaurant. Inside of it pretty much everything has been taken down, except for the kitchen. Does anyone know how would this work?Would the zoning require me to tear down the kitchen before I ca operate a daycare or I have to get some sort of licensing because I have a kitchen in the daycare.
Also lastly usually setting a daycare up how long the process is. I heard some owners pay rent every month up to a year and they are still not yet ready to open.

I live in Philadelphia, Pa
joi2128 12:59 PM 12-15-2014
im also in phila pa, you ask the landlord to give you 3 months free, I think this is pretty standard, to get licensing complete, it may take longer so be prepare to pay rent until you are in full compliance. Daycare are no longer allowed to have stoves, so you may have to tear out the kitchen. there are a few resources that will help you before signing the lease and making sure the location is suitable for daycare, contact licensing
missy 09:25 AM 12-16-2014
I am in western pa and the kitchen isn't even regulated so it's great to have (of course this depends on local zoning regulations as well, that's where they may get you), it just has to be separate and walled off from the rest of the room/s. I didn't ask for free rent and should have, it took me almost 4 months to open and get licensed. I still worked full time which caused some delay but mainly it was just getting everything set up that took so long. It's definately a process, not one thing came assembled so I literally spent every free moment assembling things!! If you have family and/or friends to help out I imagine you could open sooner.

Good luck!! Location is definitely key. Many more businesses go out of business with cheap rent than higher rent, because they didn't have a good location! !
Reply Up