Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Putting This Issue Back On the Parents
childcaremom 05:40 AM 12-23-2015
So I have a dcg, 18 mos, that I am having nap issues with. She has not ever had a great napping schedule and has been hit or miss. But she would rest quietly if she woke early or took a bit to fall asleep.

The past 3 months or so, she had been crying for upwards of an hour before falling asleep, waking after 30 mins-1 hour, and then crying again.

Since being sick a few weeks ago (approx 6 weeks), she hasn't been napping at all. If she does, it is 20 mins max. And then wakes crying.

She is only here for 3 more months and I am torn on how to work this out, or just replace (I have been interviewing with not much success, everyone has nap issues!), or just deal. If she would rest quietly all the time, it would not be a huge issue. If she was not exhausted come the end of the day, I would not be concerned. The last 2 hours of her day are awful, as you can imagine. She is also getting more clumsy because she is so tired. She is done by 4 pm and is here until 5:30. Mornings are now affected.

I have chatted with dcm briefly a few times. Dcm has alternated between thinking it's b/c dcg does not need a nap, making cutesy little jokes about it or just getting glassy eyed when I bring it up. Dcm hasn't seemed convinced that it was an issue until a few weeks ago when dcg missed her naps at home on the weekend. I recommended a book, and told her flat out that she needs to be napping here. At home, she is in bed at 7/7:30 and wakes up at 7. Here at 8 am. So getting all of her sleep at night. I told mom that she needs to be napping here 2 hours at the least and that may mean pushing night time back.

This convo was 2 weeks ago. Dcg was out last week due to illness and we are right back where we started. Now throw in the holidays, etc and I imagine January will be awful.

Wwyd? How can I put this back on the parents in a non confrontational way? Parents are not overly receptive to suggestions and dcg is very coddled. I plan to approach it from 'It is in dcg's best interest.... She needs to have daytime sleep here because..... It is affecting her day by.... Her balance is off when she is tired and I am afraid that she will hurt herself..." I guess it has been my experience that when I approach it via this method that dcps generally don't care because they don't have to deal with it, kwim? Maybe it's my delivery.

Now yesterday (her first day back after illness) she was whiny in the morning and looked exhausted. She did not sleep AT ALL. She had a horrible afternoon. I told dcd at pick up exactly what her day was like (I am upfront with parents). Dcm just sent a text that they let her sleep in today and that when she sleeps in at home that she generally does not need a nap until an hour later than normal. This is what I am up against (despite repeated 'group care' convos).

The only other options I can think of are:
* Dcg needs to be on the group schedule (including napping) or I will not be able to continue care for her
* Call for pick up when she is overly tired and not napping.
laundrymom 09:44 AM 12-23-2015
I'm sorry, but it seems little Susie has transitioned to a nap schedule opposite the group. She's an important member of our group and I hate to lose her but feel she would do better in a group with the same schedule. The last date of care will be (two weeks from today)
Because this is a schedule issue, not a behavior or payment one, I would be happy to continue care if her schedule transitions closer to that of the group. If you'd like suggestions on how to do that just let me know
Thank you.
MunchkinWrangler 12:09 PM 12-23-2015
I agree, sounds like they have a different schedule at home and don't really care about the daycare schedule. She is way too young to go without a nap, obviously. I would honestly tell them that if she can't keep with the sched, you can't keep her. You're a team and it sounds like they're working against you. I've had this issue up until I told the parents that it was causing a major stress to their child, and thats who is most uncomfortable with it. As much as it's frustrating, the child is the one truly suffering and that I had enough with getting her back on track, I was maybe too blunt but after them having a terrible weekend they changed it and now the dcg is almost a year and naps consistently and effortlessly. I did tell them I was going to term if it didn't change because I didn't agree with her not napping and not being on a routine, which I believe creates security for babies and children.
childcaremom 12:52 PM 12-23-2015
Thanks for the input.

They tell me that they agree that she needs a schedule but I think where it gets lost in translation is that it is happening here only so they see it as my problem. She will nap at home on the weekend (1.5 hours usually). If she misses her nap here, they just put her to bed early. So her not napping is not an issue for them. One day she missed her nap at home and then they saw the problem.

I think I will email and tell them that she is still not napping which is affecting xyz and that when she comes back from holidays that I will expect her to be back on our schedule.

Let them figure it out.
Unregistered 11:32 AM 12-26-2015
So I work in a nursery where parents bring their kids FREE OF CHARGE for church services. One of the parents happens to be a treasurer for the church. She is the FIRST parent to drop off and LAST to leave.
Unregistered 11:39 AM 12-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So I work in a nursery where parents bring their kids FREE OF CHARGE for church services. One of the parents happens to be a treasurer for the church. She is the FIRST parent to drop off and LAST to leave.
Christmas Eve, She told us to come at 6pm, but shows up at 5 griping me and the other attendant that we weren't there. A helper watched the child til the other attendant arrived early to set up. She was shocked mom was there already becaues she told us 6. Then the services got out later than expected. So the woman asks me and the other attendant to stay so they could eat at their potluck. I told her no. And so did my other attendant. Sorry, but I hadn't seen my family and either did the other attendant, and we had people waiting for us. I couldn't believe that she tried to ask last minute for something unrelated to services on a holiday. Then we had to stay til midnight after our 1 hr break(we were supposed to get 3 but because everyone was late grabbing kids and the service ran over, we didn't get much time at all). This mom's mother is also one of the directors and is quite rude sometimes. Mind you, these people don't pay for anything (we get an hourly rate paid by the church, though) and most of the time we'll accomodate them, but this mom has n respect for our time. Should we say anything to the pastor/director or suck it up? She does not receive things well. We've discussed lap baby and binkies not allowed in nursery (She brings them anyway and he's 2, but it's a sanitation problem and she doesn't care), she doesn't change baby before dropping off, she always makes excuses when the kid is sick and calls it teething. Grandma dropped off admitting CROUP the other day! I told her that we shouldn't take sick kids, and the director didn't seem to care. I just am frustrated.
Unregistered 02:20 PM 12-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Christmas Eve, She told us to come at 6pm, but shows up at 5 griping me and the other attendant that we weren't there. A helper watched the child til the other attendant arrived early to set up. She was shocked mom was there already becaues she told us 6. Then the services got out later than expected. So the woman asks me and the other attendant to stay so they could eat at their potluck. I told her no. And so did my other attendant. Sorry, but I hadn't seen my family and either did the other attendant, and we had people waiting for us. I couldn't believe that she tried to ask last minute for something unrelated to services on a holiday. Then we had to stay til midnight after our 1 hr break(we were supposed to get 3 but because everyone was late grabbing kids and the service ran over, we didn't get much time at all). This mom's mother is also one of the directors and is quite rude sometimes. Mind you, these people don't pay for anything (we get an hourly rate paid by the church, though) and most of the time we'll accomodate them, but this mom has n respect for our time. Should we say anything to the pastor/director or suck it up? She does not receive things well. We've discussed lap baby and binkies not allowed in nursery (She brings them anyway and he's 2, but it's a sanitation problem and she doesn't care), she doesn't change baby before dropping off, she always makes excuses when the kid is sick and calls it teething. Grandma dropped off admitting CROUP the other day! I told her that we shouldn't take sick kids, and the director didn't seem to care. I just am frustrated.
wrong thread s
Reply Up