Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Lover of all things B&W

Default Safety Gate Sign

I'm struggling with how to word this...
I am making a sign to hang next to our gate, that says that only adults can open it. The gate leads to our driveway and parents let the kids open it and run out. They don't really touch it until parents come (because they know they're not actually allowed to... but of course those rules go out the window when parents come :P) I don't feel comfortable with kids running out in the driveway, and don't want my gate to get left open and our dog get out.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

Grownups come and grown ups go, but please dont free the kids YO!
I dont know, I have a simple note that says GROWN UPS ONLY on the gate to my classroom. Too bad I have parents who dont pay attention when there kids open the door leading out (and downstairs). Its a miracle no ones fallen!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

For the safety of your child, please hold their hand when opening the gate and walking to your car.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm going to need a sign too. I'll have the same setup as you mentioned, past the gate is my driveway. Except, 30 ft from the gate is a 50 mph county road. Parents are going to NEED to hold their child's hand.

Maybe something that says "Hand Holding Zone Beyond This Point"
Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 AM

I have signs like this on all the doors and gates that lead to the outside. I printed the sign out in several sizes and laminated the big ones. I also printed out a few stickers (using sticker paper in my home printer) and stuck them right to the door knobs.

My kiddos view the sign (shape, size, color and the visual) kind of like those old school "Mr Yuck" stickers we used to get...

When I started using the signs/sticker, I sent a memo home with parents explaining that adults ONLY could touch, open or close the gates and doors leading outside the house and outside the property. I explained that it was for safety reasons and that I FULLY expect ALL parents to adhere to this rule as well as teach their child.

I also laid out consequences for not enforcing the rule. (hand to hand pass over of child, immediate departure from property) and if necessary termination from care.

I will NOT allow a parents lack of attention to safety rules ruin everything I've worked for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (60.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Lover of all things B&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have signs like this on all the doors and gates that lead to the outside. I printed the sign out in several sizes and laminated the big ones. I also printed out a few stickers (using sticker paper in my home printer) and stuck them right to the door knobs.

My kiddos view the sign (shape, size, color and the visual) kind of like those old school "Mr Yuck" stickers we used to get...

When I started using the signs/sticker, I sent a memo home with parents explaining that adults ONLY could touch, open or close the gates and doors leading outside the house and outside the property. I explained that it was for safety reasons and that I FULLY expect ALL parents to adhere to this rule as well as teach their child.

I also laid out consequences for not enforcing the rule. (hand to hand pass over of child, immediate departure from property) and if necessary termination from care.

I will NOT allow a parents lack of attention to safety rules ruin everything I've worked for.
The sign I was making had a stop sign on it. We talk about it with the kids, and a good chunk of them won't open it even if parents tell them to. I like the idea of a parent consequence :P
Old 05-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Lover of all things B&W

How does this look?
Attached Images
File Type: png Gate sign.png (68.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21 View Post
How does this look?
Perfect!

Tags
gates, safety items