Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Help with Mid-Morning Chaos

Usually around 10 my preschoolers begin getting wild and crazy and I'm usually yelling atvthem to listen. They just get crazy after my activities. Today I had all 6 plus two transitioning. They had the room a mess and were running around. It's always bad after 10 for some reason. Never fails. So what can I do to calm them down? They wont just sit and play in centers. They act wild and run around and get loud while playing. Not calm at all. Sorry about typos
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

What time is morning snack?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerchild View Post
Usually around 10 my preschoolers begin getting wild and crazy and I'm usually yelling atvthem to listen. They just get crazy after my activities. Today I had all 6 plus two transitioning. They had the room a mess and were running around. It's always bad after 10 for some reason. Never fails. So what can I do to calm them down? They wont just sit and play in centers. They act wild and run around and get loud while playing. Not calm at all. Sorry about typos
Perhaps a time for change in your routine?? Go outside first? Switch up snack? Free play then your activities?

Or a change in environment? My kids are usually super focused when I rotate new toys in.

Another thing that may help is before you dismiss into free play reminding them of each area they can choose from and having each of them 'plan' (i.e. tell you) where they are going to play.

Sometimes when the room descends into chaos I'll 'lightly' join their play. I'm not a big player but sitting down and asking someone to get me a pizza slice is a great way to get the whole group on a more focused path.

When all else fails I will pull a disruptive child from an area and choose where he's going to play for him. I don't do it often but I find they are more than receptive to be playing in a space where they know they are focused and listening.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
What time is morning snack?
We don't serve snack in the morning. Breakfast is 8 or 8 30 and lunch 10 30 or 11 am.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallina View Post
Perhaps a time for change in your routine?? Go outside first? Switch up snack? Free play then your activities?

Or a change in environment? My kids are usually super focused when I rotate new toys in.

Another thing that may help is before you dismiss into free play reminding them of each area they can choose from and having each of them 'plan' (i.e. tell you) where they are going to play.

Sometimes when the room descends into chaos I'll 'lightly' join their play. I'm not a big player but sitting down and asking someone to get me a pizza slice is a great way to get the whole group on a more focused path.

When all else fails I will pull a disruptive child from an area and choose where he's going to play for him. I don't do it often but I find they are more than receptive to be playing in a space where they know they are focused and listening.
My kids don't stay in centers. I might try to tell them what center to go to but they get mad. The structure is not really there. They come and go from centers and do puzzles with me or board games. I try to do letters and numbers activities and art around 9 or 10. But after 10 or whenever I get done they go wild and don't want centers which is frustrating me badly.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
My kids don't stay in centers. I might try to tell them what center to go to but they get mad. The structure is not really there. They come and go from centers and do puzzles with me or board games. I try to do letters and numbers activities and art around 9 or 10. But after 10 or whenever I get done they go wild and don't want centers which is frustrating me badly.
I need to add I'm only there for about 8 to 10 30 0r noon ish whenever I leave for break or yo break others. I'm only there all day when preschool teacher is absent. Mid morning after activities is hardest for me to handle
Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

My go-to when things get crazy is to grab a stack of books, sit down, and start reading out loud. Itís like magic.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

I suggest adding a small snack and a brief outside time.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:40 AM
False Sense Of Authority

Quote:
Can you go outside before centers? Even for just 20 minutes, they may need a break after academics.

As far as them not wanting to go to centers, most kids would rather get into a big group and act wild. Don't make it an option. Pair them off in twos to play in the center and with the toys of your choosing. If they get mad, that's their choice. Don't put people together who are going to act nuts. Set a time period (20-25 minutes) for how long they should stay in each center.

As they show you they are able to play without the cray cray, start letting them pick the center and friends. Like someone else said, make them tell what they are going to do before you dismiss them to play. Remind them that they don't want to go back to "teachers choice".
Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM

Sounds like a good time to have a dance party!
If they want to run/jump and act crazy and outside time is not an option, I'd put on some music and let them dance.

It's a great way to involve them all and keep them engaged.

Children with excess energy rarely listen or sit still and from what you described, their behavior is telling you they need to spend some of that energy.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
My go-to when things get crazy is to grab a stack of books, sit down, and start reading out loud. Itís like magic.
My go to as well!
Old 11-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
My go to as well!
Itís like hitting a reset button!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Actually I tried putting the disruptive ones in their centers for them and it worked!! 🙂😁
Old 11-30-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Actually I tried putting the disruptive ones in their centers for them and it worked!! 🙂😁
Contrary to popular belief kids DO behave better when the adult is in charge. Glad you've found a solution that seems to be working!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
If they want to run/jump and act crazy and outside time is not an option, I'd put on some music and let them dance.

Children with excess energy rarely listen or sit still and from what you described, their behavior is telling you they need to spend some of that energy.
I was going to suggest to Dance Party too since I believe she's in a center or not home daycare and doesn't have the freedom just too go outside whenever.

I've done dance parties before but now I have two babies and my toddler gets rambunctious during nap time when I'm trying to keep it quieter so that the infants fall asleep. Anyways the CDs that I use for playtime or Circle time are more or less background noise. If I use Google I have to use the right phrase to get music without words because the music she plays has lyrics that I would hate for a child to repeat.
I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion for a good dance music CD that is 100% kid friendly.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief kids DO behave better when the adult is in charge. Glad you've found a solution that seems to be working!
At least for now lol
Old 11-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
I was going to suggest to Dance Party too since I believe she's in a center or not home daycare and doesn't have the freedom just too go outside whenever.

I've done dance parties before but now I have two babies and my toddler gets rambunctious during nap time when I'm trying to keep it quieter so that the infants fall asleep. Anyways the CDs that I use for playtime or Circle time are more or less background noise. If I use Google I have to use the right phrase to get music without words because the music she plays has lyrics that I would hate for a child to repeat.
I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion for a good dance music CD that is 100% kid friendly.
Kids love dance music.but they always end up chasing eavh other in a circle till one falls and I turn the music off 😕🤔 dance music =run time for them lol
Old 11-30-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Kids love dance music.but they always end up chasing eavh other in a circle till one falls and I turn the music off 😕🤔 dance music =run time for them lol
Masking tape or hula hoops

They both help define "personal space" so the kids understand someone being thisclosetosomeoneelse isn't really enjoyable.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Masking tape or hula hoops

They both help define "personal space" so the kids understand someone being thisclosetosomeoneelse isn't really enjoyable.
This ^

I use circle rugs right now (towels work, too, in a pinch) because they won't leave the tape alone and trip over the hulas (most under 2, here, now) but it works all the same.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

^ - THIS!!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would take them outside.

Tags
chaos, morning chaos, redirection