Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Makes You Cringe At Pick Up???
CheekyChick 07:22 AM 02-18-2012
1. Not having payment in hand on a Friday when payment is due ON FRIDAY for the following week.

2. When a child that you have cuddled and loved ALL DAY LONG won't even look at you or say goodbye.

3. When the parent hands their child the parent letter that took me time to prepare and their beautiful craft or worksheet to keep the child occupied and is ultimately crumpled into oblivion.

4. Hearing, "If you get on your coat, I have a goody for you in the car." while the child is writhing and screaming on the floor. Really???

5. Go give Miss **** a hug and the child says, "NO!!!" Again, this is the three year old child that sat on my lap and read stories to all day. I don't even deserve a two second hug?

6. When a child starts screaming they are hungry and I am forced to give them a cereal bar or crackers to eat on the way home because it's just easier then them throwing a tantrum by my front door.

7. A child who is leaving, but stops on the front porch to ring my doorbell over and over and over and over and over and the parent says NOTHING.
Greenplasticwateringcans 07:58 AM 02-18-2012
When I have to talk to DCD about his child's (4.5) behavior, again, and DCD has a look of disbelief on his face along with his "poopoo" lip bitting. Ugh! You know your child is difficult, you told me at drop off that he had a hard morning but it's impossible for you to believe he had a challenging day here too? Really DCD?

When I tell another DCP their sweet little one (really is sweet love this DCK) had a bit of a grumpy day and DCP says but child slept fine last night. lol. Sometimes grumps just happen.

Muddy shoes in my clean foyer.

When DCP sees the vacuum out downstairs and days "you have time to vacuum? I wish I had time to vacuum". Yes, I have 2 minutes to clean the foyer after your darn muddy dirty shoes this morning and from out outtings so the dirt doesn't get into the carpets.

Lingering parents...like chat about randomness and not the child. Go home! In a nice way but just go.

DCK's reverting to the behavioir their parents allow. I am constantly asking them to use their inside voices, stop being spinning tops, and not to make "pew pew" gun noises. DCP just smiles like its the cutest thing ever.
spud912 08:49 AM 02-18-2012
My biggest pet peeve was when they come to the door on the phone and their child is trying to show them a cool arts and crafts and they can't take 5 seconds to ask me how their day was or to acknowledge their child.

Also, when the dck's older sibling is at the door to "pick up" dck. Get out of the car, lazy!!
littlemommy 09:06 AM 02-18-2012
Drop off:

Kid walks in with cookies, granola bars, or crackers smashed in her hands, dropping crumbs all over my floor, even after telling mom that I provide breakfast every morning. The 3 yo now cries as soon as she steps in because she knows I'll take the food away. The squirrels have been loving it!

Parent forgetting diapers, after being reminded for days that they are almost out.

Arriving 15 minutes early every morning just so mom can go to work early and get off early, but still not pick up kid early. The other day I kept all my lights off thinking maybe she wouldn't knock, but she did. I waited a few minutes before answering. They will have extra time added to their next pay day!

Pick up:

Parent telling child every day that they are going to get McDonald's. No wonder the kid doesn't eat here.

Parents on cell phone, not acknowledging their child or me.

When the child is hanging on my door handles or opening the door when it's 10 degrees outside and parent does nothing.
CheekyChick 10:00 AM 02-18-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
When I have to talk to DCD about his child's (4.5) behavior, again, and DCD has a look of disbelief on his face along with his "poopoo" lip bitting. Ugh! You know your child is difficult, you told me at drop off that he had a hard morning but it's impossible for you to believe he had a challenging day here too? Really DCD?

When I tell another DCP their sweet little one (really is sweet love this DCK) had a bit of a grumpy day and DCP says but child slept fine last night. lol. Sometimes grumps just happen.

Muddy shoes in my clean foyer.

When DCP sees the vacuum out downstairs and days "you have time to vacuum? I wish I had time to vacuum". Yes, I have 2 minutes to clean the foyer after your darn muddy dirty shoes this morning and from out outtings so the dirt doesn't get into the carpets.

Lingering parents...like chat about randomness and not the child. Go home! In a nice way but just go.

DCK's reverting to the behavioir their parents allow. I am constantly asking them to use their inside voices, stop being spinning tops, and not to make "pew pew" gun noises. DCP just smiles like its the cutest thing ever.
Yes!!! I forgot the naughty behavior when mommy or daddy arrives. Some go from little angels to little, well, not angels in two seconds flat.
CheekyChick 10:01 AM 02-18-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
My biggest pet peeve was when they come to the door on the phone and their child is trying to show them a cool arts and crafts and they can't take 5 seconds to ask me how their day was or to acknowledge their child.

Also, when the dck's older sibling is at the door to "pick up" dck. Get out of the car, lazy!!
Ditto BOTH of those. Argh...
CheekyChick 10:04 AM 02-18-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Drop off:

Kid walks in with cookies, granola bars, or crackers smashed in her hands, dropping crumbs all over my floor, even after telling mom that I provide breakfast every morning. The 3 yo now cries as soon as she steps in because she knows I'll take the food away. The squirrels have been loving it!

Parent forgetting diapers, after being reminded for days that they are almost out.

Arriving 15 minutes early every morning just so mom can go to work early and get off early, but still not pick up kid early. The other day I kept all my lights off thinking maybe she wouldn't knock, but she did. I waited a few minutes before answering. They will have extra time added to their next pay day!

Pick up:

Parent telling child every day that they are going to get McDonald's. No wonder the kid doesn't eat here.

Parents on cell phone, not acknowledging their child or me.

When the child is hanging on my door handles or opening the door when it's 10 degrees outside and parent does nothing.
Yes. They aren't allowed to play with the door knob during the day, but they'll swing on the door on the way out because mommy is there and she clearly thinks it's okay.
cheerfuldom 10:58 AM 02-18-2012
When kids scream and cling to me and don't want to go to the parents. They see the parents at the door and run back into my house and dont want to go. VERY awkward when you have to force a kid to go to their parent
CheekyChick 02:03 PM 02-18-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
When kids scream and cling to me and don't want to go to the parents. They see the parents at the door and run back into my house and dont want to go. VERY awkward when you have to force a kid to go to their parent
That happens here too and I think I actually prefer that over the ones who can't take a moment to say goodbye to us when we've bent over backwards to give them an amazing day and they snub us on the way out. Argh.
Sprouts 02:59 PM 02-18-2012
When you tell parents a baby is sleeping and thu still talk very loud!
Kaddidle Care 03:17 PM 02-18-2012
I think the blatent disregard for the rules especially when they bring in toys and claim it's for show and tell. "We don't have show and tell every day honey." Once a week and it stays in the cubby until it's show and tell time.

I tend to choose my battles and let the child enter with the toy but as soon as they've gone off to something else, the toy disappears.
PitterPatter 05:25 PM 02-18-2012
Top of my list are the guilt trips on me telling me they can't pay me for services ALREADY given.

Lingering parents.

Kids that get their shoes on then run back through my house because parents are lingering (no shoe policy on my carpets)

Parents who blow their kids off when they are excited to show them what they made at craft time but DCM is more interested in gossip or guilt tripping me.

Parents who snatch a craft item from the child and say "that's getting put up because u will only destroy it"

Oh and kids who act insane and run around screaming and throwing stuff because they refuse to leave.
CheekyChick 08:15 AM 02-19-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
When you tell parents a baby is sleeping and thu still talk very loud!
YES!!! Very annoying.
C'est la vie. 12:03 PM 02-19-2012
"You get your shoes on, or I'm going to leave and Miss Natalie will have to do it for you." I have two parents that threaten to leave.. or leave and try to make me do it. I often just say.. "Nope, my shift ended 5 minutes ago.. we're going to another room.. BYE!"
momma2girls 12:42 PM 02-19-2012
I have these same things happen. The one that is usually sleeping is my own 3 yr. old daughter. UGHH!!! Kids yell, when they see their parents, run, etc. I try and have them ready or near ready, but sometimes, if one is not picked up before the other ones- it's impossiilbe to have all 4 children, ready, and staying in the foyer area for pick up!!
Tags:pick up behavior, pick up issues
Reply Up