Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy of Miralax Water?
Unregistered 09:08 AM 09-06-2016
I have a 1 1/2 year old that came with a sippy cup of miralax water. Not sure I am comfortable giving it to the child. What would you all do? Give it at end of the day? I have no expirence with this.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 1 1/2 year old that came with a sippy cup of miralax water. Not sure I am comfortable giving it to the child. What would you all do? Give it at end of the day? I have no expirence with this.
NO food or drink is allowed to be brought in to my facility.

For that exact reason. I don't like parents adding things to kids' cups.... too much liability.

I do know several people (adults/children) that take Miralax as a regular dietary supplement but I'd need to know that before enrollment or at the time if needing to add that added to their diet.

I would NOT be comfortable giving it to the child at all and would require the info as to why the child is getting it.
JackandJill 09:13 AM 09-06-2016
I have a child now who needs miralax on a regular basis to help with a blockage. I also had another little one 2 years ago, with the same thing.

I don't let them walk around with their cup, they have to sit at the table or on the couch with it, so I can make sure no other children get to it.

As long as the parents have consulted with pedi and I get a signed note, I think its fine.
Cat Herder 09:16 AM 09-06-2016
"Despite the drug’s popularity, it has never been approved by the F.D.A. for pediatric use. In 1999, when the F.D.A. first approved Miralax, the patient materials included the warning: “Miralax should not be used by children.” In 2009, an F.D.A. drug safety oversight board raised a number of concerns about PEG’s use in children, including the uncertainty of the long-term effects of large doses, but concluded that current evidence does not suggest that PEG causes severe side effects.

Even so, some doctors said they are concerned about the lack of information about its long-term effects. “We don’t know 30 years from now what will happen,” said, Dr. Carlo Di Lorenzo, the chief of the gastroenterology department at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

Still, Dr. Di Lorenzo, who once did a study financed by a company that produced Miralax before Merck, is not alarmed. “As far as we know, polyethylene glycol is safe,” he said.

In a statement, Merck said it recommends the use of Miralax only for patients 17 and older and only for a week, and added that it “regularly analyzes and reports all adverse event information as part of our ongoing post-marketing surveillance.” Asked whether it plans to conduct studies to get F.D.A. approval for pediatric use, the company declined to say.

After its 2009 drug oversight meeting, the F.D.A. decided that no action was necessary “based on available information.” This week, the agency declined to comment about the citizen petition.

Pediatricians, some of whom acknowledged in interviews that they were unaware of the drug-safety concerns raised by F.D.A. in 2009, said PEG had grown in use because it provides a no-fuss solution to constipation. Often a contributing factor is diet, like too much dairy and too few vegetables and fruits. Other factors include not sitting on the toilet routinely, stress, lack of hydration, being sedentary and school rules that discourage children from using the bathroom as needed."

I would require a doctors note and have the parent fill out a feeding questionnaire and form (a re-purposed infant feeding form for info gathering and meal planning purposes ). When the choice is between drugs or diet, I always choose diet.
MunchkinWrangler 10:51 AM 09-06-2016
Lol, do you have one of my old families?

Either way, I have a rule that says I won't allow parents to do this and need some sort of dr note if needed during care. Other then that, I'm sure they can give this to the child outside of care.
Tags:constipation, dope and drop, dope; drop
Reply Up