Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Opinions: Is This Normal for One-Year-Old Classroom
Dee2016 02:01 AM 03-01-2016
Okay my 14 month old daughter just switched from a home daycare to a center mainly bc I want her to start learning, doing little activities and have a routine instead of tv most of the day. I know not all home daycares do the TV thing but this one did. So back to the new center my bby girl cried and still does which was expected bc she has to warm up to new pple and places. I hve no issue w/ tht. The main teacher is great, sends pics of her doin "work" arts n crafts most days to show shes fine. Problem I have is every afternoon (main teacher is gone) the whole class is made to sit on the rug. No toys no books just sitting and honestly looking miserable. Teacher is usually sitting there watching. This is Everyday for a week. I pick up around 4/430 they close at 6. Ive shown up a little earlier and later just in case its just tht time but nope samething. I worked in daycare about 8 years ago so i was shocked that there is no free play/music etc in the afternoon. Is this normal in your centers and how would you address it? Plan on talking to director today. My husband says give it more time but honestly it's bothering me to much. Sorry its so long.
Josiegirl 02:31 AM 03-01-2016
Wow. I cannot speak for centers, I'm a home provider. But everything in me tells me that is all wrong. Little tots just don't sit still, it's not in their make-up. Definitely speak with the director and ask why this happens?
During the last half hour of our day we always do things such as read books or pull out a small bucket of blocks, etc. Something to keep them engaged but not mess up the whole place again, and not too distracting so they won't get ready to go home. I could see maybe placing them in a circle for a few minutes to sing songs or something but just sit and wait sounds so wrong.
Laurel 02:41 AM 03-01-2016
No, it's not normal.

I had a home daycare (retired now) but I have also worked briefly in centers and pick my grandson up everyday from one. The classrooms have plate glass windows and I can see in them. The little ones are always doing something.

The situation you describe is very odd.
lovemydaycare0912 04:52 AM 03-01-2016
Does not sound right at all. I worked in a center before I opened my home daycare and theres no way you should expect 1 yr olds to sit still. I would speak with director asap and be prepared to find a new place if things dont change.
Unregistered 06:17 AM 03-01-2016
Thats the plan. Im already looking at other centers. I talked to the director this AM and she acted like she was shocked and said she would address it ASAP. But she isnt there in the afternoon so Ill be watching the rest of this week to see if there is any change. Thank you guys for the input.
MunchkinWrangler 07:40 AM 03-01-2016
Yeah, that sounds strange. I'm an in home provider and the last kids to go usually will sit by the window and watch for mom and dad, but that is like the last 10 minutes until closing. I have the kids cleanup 5-10 minutes before pickups happen but we are sometimes still finishing some activity or another. I would ask the director also and clarify why that happens. Is it just a certain group of kids waiting for pickup? I'm just surprised there is absolutely no activity going on.
Thriftylady 07:53 AM 03-01-2016
I am wondering how one gets one year olds to just sit on a rug? That would be like holding corks under water.
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 03-01-2016
Sitting for long periods of time is not developmentally appropriate for a 1 year old. But then again, neither is academics. Learning for a 1 yr old should come in no other form than play.
finsup 08:26 AM 03-01-2016
I definitely second learning should come from play!!

I did work in the 1 year old room in a center many years ago. We did a very short circle time in the mornings that was mostly songs and finger plays. I'm talking like 5 minutes or so. Once the kids started showing signs of being "done" we ended it.
When I do circle etc here, 1 year olds play. I don't even attempt to have them sit with us yet lol. They're welcome to join in but I don't expect or require it from them.
Silly Songs 09:24 AM 03-01-2016
That is the strangest thing I have heard. Did you ask the teachers, including the morning one ? I would definitely ask both of them about it. You are the parent, you have every right to question what is going on !
NightOwl 09:34 AM 03-01-2016
Afternoon teacher doesn't want to clean up after them. I worked in and owned a center for many years and I would've blown my top if I found this to be the case in my one year old room. They should be moving around, allowed free access to toys, listening to music and dancing, ect. If you don't see immediate improvement, pull your child out. It has to be miserable to be that age and be forced to sit all afternoon.
daycarediva 09:36 AM 03-01-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sitting for long periods of time is not developmentally appropriate for a 1 year old. But then again, neither is academics. Learning for a 1 yr old should come in no other form than play.

I had to admit that I cringed at the first part of your post about wanting her to be learning.Crafts are developmentally inappropriate for a 1yo. Learning is through play- my 18mo spends 90% of circle and centers pouring, dumping and washing animals. He is gaining far more than most parents are aware of by engaging his whole body. Children learn by DOING.

I recommend you read some books on early childhood education and learning through play for toddlers so that you KNOW what a quality program looks like.

Start touring other places immediately. There are MANY great home providers as well, so tour everywhere and before you enroll, ask to see a schedule.
Cat Herder 10:17 AM 03-01-2016
When I worked in a center the floor was usually wet from 3:45ish to 4:15ish (afternoon snack at 3:30 ). "Circle time rug and story time" while it was drying was common.

During morning mop/dry, the kids went out to the playground while it dried. After lunch mop/dry the kids went to mats for nap.

Once upon a time the kids went out to the playground after afternoon snack, too, but the majority of parents began to complain about kids being dirty for going home. So began "circle time rug/clean up for going home" . Simple supply/demand, it had nothing to do with appropriate development. Just business and tired of complaints.

**It is odd that there were no manipulatives or books, though. **

Typically, once a few of the kids leave, the group will be combined with another room while their room is cleaned. Then another. Then another. Then they are moved to the hall or kitchen as all the rooms will have been cleaned by 5:45ish. Overtime is not allowed for cleaning.
Silly Songs 10:25 AM 03-01-2016
I'm glad I have never worked in a center I had to mop the floors.
Dee2016 11:38 AM 03-01-2016
I was thinking the samething as far as how the are making them sit down that long. My daughter hardly ever sits at home. I talked to the morning teacher and apparently her and the director will be working with the afternoon teachers to get them more involved with the kids. I just cant make myself believe they didn't know, especially the director. As far as arts n crafts they usually scribble w/ crayons and paint in the one year room, along with story & music time.
racemom 12:04 PM 03-02-2016
I work in a toddler room, mine are mostly soon to be two or two. I cannot imagine getting mine to sit still for any amount of time with nothing to do! I do think a little structured time is appropriate. We sing, talk about weather, read story and do a craft--lots of coloring, dot painting, and things that are very easy for them to do. But not all at once, this is spread among free play, outside time, am snack, lunchtime. After nap until pickup time is all free play inside or outside depending on weather.
Febby 04:58 PM 03-02-2016
That certainly sounds strange. When I worked in toddler rooms in the afternoon, we avoided messy activities late in the day, but they certainly weren't sitting still on a rug. We'd do songs or read books or dance or something.

Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
I'm glad I have never worked in a center I had to mop the floors.
Wait, so did you guys eat over carpet or was it just not your job to clean the floors? Because I always found vacuuming food out of carpet to be a million times more obnoxious than mopping. Although I'm wondering what Cat Herder's center was feeding for snack since I've never need to mop after snack? (Well, except that time when we had apple juice and I dropped the big apple juice bottle and flooded my floor, but that was 100% me)
Tags:cleaning - during daycare, closing time, odd, ratios
Reply Up