Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constant Potty breaks
wdmmom 01:43 PM 04-30-2014
I have an almost 3 year old dcg that I've had since she was an infant. She was potty trained over Christmas vacation last year and has only had 1 accident while being trained. She caught on very fast!

Dcg is telling me she has to go potty about 6-8 times a day over the course of 8-9 hours a day. I find most times it's the morning when she says she has to go the most. Usually during activity time. I feel obligated to have her try only because I don't want an accident but I know she's not going every time either. She sits, tries, uses tp, and flushes. I also can't help but think it's costing me more money by just letting her try...the tp and the flush that really is wasteful.

I mentioned this to dcd awhile back that I was concerned it might be a uti but she apparently does it at home too. She's not allowed to use the sink by herself so she's not playing in the water and there is absolutely nothing in the bathroom for her to play with or anything that could be of interest either. I stand right outside the door and either wait for the "I'm done" which is translation for wipe my butt or she will stand, wipe and flush.

Is she doing this because she think she has to go? Because going is fun? or Because she just wants out of the toyroom? I just don't get it. We offer breaks to everyone at 9am, 11am, 1230pm and 3pm and encourage them to go during those times even if they don't have to. Today this child went at 830am, said she had to go again at 930am and again at 1030am. She only gets 5oz of liquid at breakfast, lunch and snack but I don't know if the family offers her anything prior to arrival.
Cradle2crayons 01:53 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have an almost 3 year old dcg that I've had since she was an infant. She was potty trained over Christmas vacation last year and has only had 1 accident while being trained. She caught on very fast!

Dcg is telling me she has to go potty about 6-8 times a day over the course of 8-9 hours a day. I find most times it's the morning when she says she has to go the most. Usually during activity time. I feel obligated to have her try only because I don't want an accident but I know she's not going every time either. She sits, tries, uses tp, and flushes. I also can't help but think it's costing me more money by just letting her try...the tp and the flush that really is wasteful.

I mentioned this to dcd awhile back that I was concerned it might be a uti but she apparently does it at home too. She's not allowed to use the sink by herself so she's not playing in the water and there is absolutely nothing in the bathroom for her to play with or anything that could be of interest either. I stand right outside the door and either wait for the "I'm done" which is translation for wipe my butt or she will stand, wipe and flush.

Is she doing this because she think she has to go? Because going is fun? or Because she just wants out of the toyroom? I just don't get it. We offer breaks to everyone at 9am, 11am, 1230pm and 3pm and encourage them to go during those times even if they don't have to. Today this child went at 830am, said she had to go again at 930am and again at 1030am. She only gets 5oz of liquid at breakfast, lunch and snack but I don't know if the family offers her anything prior to arrival.
If she goes at 9am I wouldn't allow her to go again unless it's poopy. A child that long potty trained should be able to hold her urine longer than that.

I'm not sure why she's doing it, but if she's always done it, then likely it's not a UTI.

I simply would allow her to urinate every two hours if that's how you do it.

I don't take mine to potty every x hours. They tell me they have to go and they go. But certainly she should be able to hold it longer than an hour.
spud912 02:33 PM 04-30-2014
I've had 3 dcg's who "needed" frequent restroom breaks. One actually did need to use the restroom every 45 minutes or so (despite not drinking a tremendous amount). I have to admit, it was fairly annoying because she always had to go pee halfway on our morning walk (we walk about an hour several times a week). Otherwise, it wouldn't bother me too much.

The other 2 dcg's did it because they liked the extra attention they received as a result. One dcg either outgrew it or she simply stopped because I would say "no, you will have to wait XX amount of minutes." The other dcg had other drama going on and they left my child care pretty quickly.

In your case, I would just encourage your dcg to wait for a little bit longer and then slowly push back the times to normal pee times (or every 2 hours or so).
drseuss 02:45 PM 04-30-2014
I would venture two guesses.

1. She is enjoying the novelty of being a 'big girl' and really getting every last drop of satisfaction from it.

and/or

2. She doesn't trust herself not to have accidents yet.

Either way, I think she will outgrow it.
Play Care 03:05 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
I would venture two guesses.

1. She is enjoying the novelty of being a 'big girl' and really getting every last drop of satisfaction from it.

and/or

2. She doesn't trust herself not to have accidents yet.

Either way, I think she will outgrow it.

Tags:potty breaks
Reply Up