Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Hiring An Independent Contractor
Leigh 10:08 AM 01-10-2018
For real, I would like to hire an independent contractor to help out in my childcare. She WILL be helping in other childcares, as well. There has long been a need for a "floater" to help with days off. What does she need to have for proof of IC status to protect me from having the IRS view her as my employee?

Is there a maximum number of hours she could work for me? I want to hire her for about 10 hours a week. Do I just hand her cash or check? What records do I need to keep?
TomCopeland 12:53 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
For real, I would like to hire an independent contractor to help out in my childcare. She WILL be helping in other childcares, as well. There has long been a need for a "floater" to help with days off. What does she need to have for proof of IC status to protect me from having the IRS view her as my employee?

Is there a maximum number of hours she could work for me? I want to hire her for about 10 hours a week. Do I just hand her cash or check? What records do I need to keep?
This is a tricky issue. She should have a business name that she registers with your state. She should get her own EIN. She should work for other providers. She should use her own contract with each provider that says she is an independent contractor. That should do it. There is no maximum number of hours she can work for you. Keep records, whether cash or checks, of each payment. If it's cash, have her sign a receipt.
hwichlaz 09:03 PM 01-11-2018
I use someone like this as a sub for appointments. She has a handbook with all of her credentials so you can add her to your adult roster, and she's a professional sub. She has a fee schedule. She invoices me at the end of the day and I send an electronic payment. Debbie's Day Care Sub Service.

She's a retired Head Start Teacher that wants to still work with kids, but just enough not to get bored, lol. I use her on average about 2 hours per month.
Tags:assistant, employees, independent contractor, tom copeland
Reply Up