Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Balancing Children/Daycare Children/Life
Unregistered 06:52 AM 04-04-2013
I still can't remember my password or user name...I've been complaining here for a while about different issues with families since I moved.... that's kind of a lot of people though ha ha.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm getting burnt out from the stress of all the difficult families I've been dealing with in the past year, which is not something I'm used to, or if I just need a new routine.

Over the course of being a DCProvider I have, shamefully, not always out my family first. When I first started I was Queen Flexible to the detriment of my family. I finally stopped that after a few years and grew a very strong backbone.

Now it seems as though every family I am interviewing/taking on wants/NEEDS (so say they) special and I am totally put off by it. Actually to be fair I have two really good families. My radar for catching red flags in interviews is off and I've had two slip past my radar. I'm not desperate for money with my numbers now, though it is nice to have extra, but do need to bring in some sort of an income.

I'm lost off in a tangent now lol.

I think my kids can sense I'm stressed and are unhappy with being home all the time. Summer is coming and I'd like to spend more time with them doing fun things. I'm feeling less then hopeful that I'll find suitable families for over the summer time and am thinking of just keeping the lovely children I have now and take them on fun adventures too which the parents really like.

Or I fill my daycare, hire an assistant, and take the summer off. Or I just start advertizing for teachers kids and take the summer off. Hmmm...
Mom&Provider 07:24 AM 04-04-2013
I wanted to respond and add in my 2 cents about teachers kids. I have teachers kids and they send their kids here anyway even when they are off, so if you are currently advertising for those families in hopes to catch a break, my suggestion is to ensure you add in your contract that you will NOT care for their child when they are off.

I can relate to how you are feeling too. I've been at this only 3 years and I feel very stressed lately, daily almost. Sometimes we need a break too, not just a day or 2, but a real break.
bunnyslippers 07:28 AM 04-04-2013
I am pretty burnt out myself, and find every day a struggle.

If you could swing it, then I would highly recommend lowering your summer load!

I only take teacher's kids, and I am closed for all school vacations, holidays, and snow days.

I honestly don't know how all of you who are open year round do it. I could never work in this profession all year, without knowing a break was coming. I have another one in 7 working days! My whole family looks froward to the times when I am closed. Summers are DREAMY!!!
bunnyslippers 07:29 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
I wanted to respond and add in my 2 cents about teachers kids. I have teachers kids and they send their kids here anyway even when they are off, so if you are currently advertising for those families in hopes to catch a break, my suggestion is to ensure you add in your contract that you will NOT care for their child when they are off.

I can relate to how you are feeling too. I've been at this only 3 years and I feel very stressed lately, daily almost. Sometimes we need a break too, not just a day or 2, but a real break.
Great suggestion! I have it in my contract that teacher's have to provide a school calendar of all days that they are expected to report to work. If they aren't working bacause there is no school ~ neither am I!
DaisyMamma 10:38 AM 04-04-2013
For those who only care for teachers kids. How do you go about payment? Do they pay a weekly rate during the school year and then nothing over the summer?
How did you get started and find the kids?
wahmof3 11:11 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I am pretty burnt out myself, and find every day a struggle.

If you could swing it, then I would highly recommend lowering your summer load!

I only take teacher's kids, and I am closed for all school vacations, holidays, and snow days.

I honestly don't know how all of you who are open year round do it. I could never work in this profession all year, without knowing a break was coming. I have another one in 7 working days! My whole family looks froward to the times when I am closed. Summers are DREAMY!!!
I am the exact same!! I don't know how providers do year round along with different shifts. I am already counting down to end of May- school is out

I will still have kids but only on a part time basis and will have fridays off as well as a couple mornings off.

I am in this for some income AND for my kids- they come first and I WANT that time with them and I don't wanna share them
canadiancare 11:15 AM 04-04-2013
I have been doing this for 21 years and I am feeling more and more burnt out (as is evidenced by my mounting post count compared to when I first joined).

I have gained weight. I feel myself burrowing into the sofa at the end of the day and just vegging in front of the TV.

Part of it is the weather. I know I will get my butt out the door more when it warms up but I need something to give.
just_peachy 02:45 PM 04-04-2013
I take Wednesdays off. I know it doesn't work with a lot of families, but I am fine staying full. Grandparents work the Wednesdays, or some kids are only part time anyway. During the school year, I spend that Wednesday volunteering at my kids' school. After school, we have "fun day" where we go somewhere we don't usually go. During the summer, those Wednesdays are our beach days, zoo days, aquarium days, etc.

Those Wednesdays SAVE ME. I'm sure they save my kids too. And husband, . I have thought about moving that day to Friday, but having that Wednesday free almost makes me feel like I have just 2 day work weeks. It's worth the $ I lose. Just one more thing to consider!
Meeko 03:02 PM 04-04-2013
Adjust to MY house and way of doing things....or leave. That's the bottom line with me. I used to stress so much about trying to please people and I wasn't happy. It wasn't MY business when other people were telling me how things had to be run.

If a parent wants a whole basketful of special, they need a nanny. They pay GROUP rates, not nanny rates.

Now I just smile sweetly and say "I don't offer that" when they demand special services. Rinse. Repeat.

Then....just accept that you can't do it all...even for family. As mom's we sometimes try to do it ALL or feel we've failed somehow. Not true. I have tried to look at it as "I accomplished this and this today"....and not "I didn't get to this or that today"
snbauser 03:05 PM 04-04-2013
In order to reduce burn out and the impact on my kids, I am switching to a teachers schedule beginning the week after school gets out and I am ecstatic. Looking forward to having more time for my kids. I will be open Mon-Wed from 7:30-4 during the summer and during the school year the only time I will be open when my kids are off is on teacher workdays. I am raising my rates slightly in the fall but in exchange I will give parents a credit for the days I'm closed. I'd love to hear how others who only care for teachers kids charge. I figured I would just invoice my parents on Monday and get paid on Friday for the following week based on the number of days I am open. Not sure if there is an easier way to do it.
frugalmama4 04:17 PM 04-04-2013
OP, we both have the same feelings towards the "business" it seems.

I love all my daycare kiddos...and I'm all about family and helping others build their family...but realize I'm doing it at the expense of mine.

It's so hard at times to turn business away when you need the income...but I'm learning in order to "all it all" I have to say no when I no it won't work for long.

Things that may help:
Getting a assist ( giving yourself a day off here and there)
Taking school holidays off (since your own kids would be home)
Maybe closing earlier (if not everyday, once a month)

I wish you luck!!!
AmyKidsCo 08:46 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
For those who only care for teachers kids. How do you go about payment? Do they pay a weekly rate during the school year and then nothing over the summer?
How did you get started and find the kids?
I had a friend who only had teacher's kids and took the summers off. She put all her payments in the bank and then did the math to "pay" herself year-round. I have a feeling her family didn't NEED the daycare income; we couldn't afford for me to only bring in 9 months of income.

Make sure you get paid vacation and days off so you don't burn out, and change your hours to something you're comfortable with. My hours are 7-5. I'm OK with stretching them a little occasionally to 6:45 or 5:15, but didn't want to go past that. If your parents balk, let them know that you need to take care of yourself because if you burn out they'll lose their child care.
Reply Up