Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Website - How To & Why
sharlan 04:38 PM 10-05-2011
Ok, I've decided to go with a website, but as I've said in other posts, I really don't know what to do.

Please post what you've found to be the best way to do it.

What do you find important to put in your website, what do you feel is best left out? Do you have a section for daily updates on what the kids are doing?

Do you put in lots of pics of your daycare area - inside and out?

Do you go to other websites and steal their ideas (JUST KIDDING)?

Do you buy the domain name (is that the right thing) from Google for $10 a year?

Details, details, details..............
Michael 04:41 PM 10-05-2011
Thanks for starting this thread. I will most likely make it a sticky since much of the information will be of value to all those looking to advertise and succeed in the virtual marketplace. Note: just found out Steve Jobs died. Sad day. He helped create much of the viruald world as we know it.
sharlan 04:43 PM 10-05-2011
Thank you.
daycare 04:46 PM 10-05-2011
I viewed lots and lots of childcare websites, both home and centers. I decided what I wanted from my program and ran with it. What do you offer, where, why, how, when. You know the basics.

I know I asked you to view my website and I have no issues of you using any of my text that you want, if you want....

I think once you get an idea of what your selling point is and who you want to target, you will become full of ideas...
godiva83 05:12 PM 10-05-2011
If ads running down the side of your page and you don't care if you Have to add a site name after - I would use a free website application like webs.com
It is so simple to use! I can PM you my address.
However, no that I am with google apps I really like having my own personal domain name, IMO it seems more professional...putting more in, to get more out type of idea--- when my site is done I will PM you that also.

I would put a blurb about YOU and what makes you different from other HDC
Maybe your history, how long you have been in business, education background, what you like best about HDC, what you will provide

I would put a rate/fee section
Hours of operation
A example of your programming (if you have)
Your daily routine
Pictures of your space ( remember no kids unless you have authorization)
FAQ section
The thing I like about Webs.com is they have a section for ppl to email you right from the site ( I got a lot of inquiries and clients that way)
Good luck
Michael 10:56 PM 10-05-2011
Sharlan PM's me with questions about websites and advertising. I asked to to start a thread and if it takes off I will make it sticky.

Just a little insight into what I do. I started creating websites in 1995 with such brands as Daycare.com, Nashville.com, PalmSprings.com, Manicure.com and many others. I have a lot of experience in making money in the virtual world and some sites have generated over a $1mil a year in profits. You can read about some of my work here: http://dnjournal.com/cover/2006/december.htm

sharlan: What do you find important to put in your website, what do you feel is best left out? Do you have a section for daily updates on what the kids are doing?

Other providers would have some good ideas. I would suggest you engage your potential clients in a way that gives them a virtual feel of your facility. It is important that you "lead" your visitors to the information that is most important be it "potential clients" or "current clients". Information is great but you must offer it is simple ways.

sharlan: Do you put in lots of pics of your daycare area - inside and out?

I would suggest you use pictures of in and out but not too many since large pictures or information slows down the viewing process. There are ways to reduce file size in pictures and I will cover that in future posts.

sharlan: Do you go to other websites and steal their ideas (JUST KIDDING)?

Always look at other sites for ideas. Here is on that signed up today on Daycare.com. www.OrganicKidcare.com

https://www.daycare.com/php/showlisting.php?ID=00179911&p=1

There is a lot they are doing correctly on this site. The fact that they have a great website and also advertise on Daycare.com is multifaceted. The fact Daycare.com is listed #1 on Google, Bing and Yahoo for the term "daycare" helps get their website into the higher rankings or searches. This is a secret many advertisers use to gain higher status in search results.

sharlan: Do you buy the domain name (is that the right thing) from Google for $10 a year?

There are many registrars that you can get your name from. It is not like the old days when Network Solutions was the only one you could get a domain from. They use to charge $50 a year! These days you can get them as low as $8. Choose from a registrar that offers others services you may need like getting your email address with your domain name michael@daycare.com or URL forwarding which allows you to "point" an address at your name.

Example: If I get a free website from weebly.com and buy my domain name from goDaddy.com for $8. I can point my Weebly site to my new domain name. That way you see my site at MyChildcare.com and not mychildcare.weebly.com
Remember Weebly.com owns mychildcare.weebly.com but you own MyChildcare.com. You can advertise MyChildcare.com knowing you will always own the name (as long as you pay the reg fee every year).

There is a lot more I can write about and if there are any questions feel free to ask them. I would like this thread to be referenced by anyone looking for website information for any business field.
Michael 02:51 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
If ads running down the side of your page and you don't care if you Have to add a site name after - I would use a free website application like webs.com
It is so simple to use! I can PM you my address.
However, no that I am with google apps I really like having my own personal domain name, IMO it seems more professional...putting more in, to get more out type of idea--- when my site is done I will PM you that also.

I would put a blurb about YOU and what makes you different from other HDC
Maybe your history, how long you have been in business, education background, what you like best about HDC, what you will provide

I would put a rate/fee section
Hours of operation
A example of your programming (if you have)
Your daily routine
Pictures of your space ( remember no kids unless you have authorization)
FAQ section
The thing I like about Webs.com is they have a section for ppl to email you right from the site ( I got a lot of inquiries and clients that way)
Good luck
Also www.wix.com and www.weebly.com offer free websites.
DaisyMamma 09:40 PM 10-28-2011
I use to design web sites and still do when time permits. I'm willing to help out anyone who would like a site designed. PM me!
My web site; WWW.lymefamilydaycare.com.
Michael 10:28 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
I use to design web sites and still do when time permits. I'm willing to help out anyone who would like a site designed. PM me!
My web site; WWW.lymefamilydaycare.com.
Very nicely done.
DaisyMamma 05:11 AM 10-30-2011
Yes, buy your domain name. and hostbig.com charges $1 per month for hosting.
coolconfidentme 03:00 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Ok, I've decided to go with a website, but as I've said in other posts, I really don't know what to do.

Please post what you've found to be the best way to do it.

What do you find important to put in your website, what do you feel is best left out? Do you have a section for daily updates on what the kids are doing?

Do you put in lots of pics of your daycare area - inside and out?

Do you go to other websites and steal their ideas (JUST KIDDING)?

Do you buy the domain name (is that the right thing) from Google for $10 a year?

Details, details, details..............
I just have a FaceBook page. It's free, user friendly & I don't have time to maintain a webpage too. Here's mine:

https://www.facebook.com/AToZzzsChildcare
Holiday Park 11:48 AM 11-11-2012
Coolconfident,
I love the idea of a facebook page !
So do you get enough exposure with doing that? I am tinking if I do s FB page, I can link it in my craigslist ads. I used to use a freewebs site for a website. And I lived in a home that was 800 sw ft less, with only our 3rms , the hall, TINY living room , kitchen. And for some reason I had no trouble getting cliets compared to know. It was very small but cozy.
We moved into this MUCH bigger house with a living room, den, dining room. And its still 3 bedrooms but they are twice as big. And a garage we didnt have. It looks massive in size viewing from the street, compared to the house. It looks much nicer on the inside, like we have a lot more $, ( but we don't) . Im using the huge den (20x 12/14ft) as the play room, and dining room as nap room . So I have been wondering if people were being turned off or intimidated by how much nicer it looks, or if its just we live in a different location ( A existing client actually kept using me after the move, we r closer to her now) , or Im not advettising on craigslist every week and not using the website anymore . If the website was really the only reason I want to get into that, or doing FB . One thing different I had been not been doing since we moved was use forms&contracts. At our other house, I was even able to get last week care deposits. (I am now planning a new handbook&contracts)
CozyHome 10:04 PM 12-28-2012
I live in Ontario, Canada, but my website is on freewebs.com and I love it. I have lots of info on there and lots of pictures. A good friend gave me the best advise possible after I wrote my website. She said that I had all the facts on there but my warm peronality wasn't showing so I rewrote it so that it was very different.

So when anybody asks me to critique their website that's my advice too thanks to my friend. Make sure your personality shines through and leave the details and the contract policies to the interview and contract signing phase.
Auntie'sHouse 12:33 PM 01-08-2013
After reading all of the info about websites I decided to create one on my own....1st time. I must have republished it 22 times in 2 weeks. I asked family and friends to check it out and clearly they didnt even bother to read any of it because I myself found errors in it. I guess only parents actually looking for daycare will actually read it...smh! I was so excited about it I pressed the publish button right away. I keep finding new things to add to it. The response I kept getting was that it was too long. I did shorten it but then remembered parents who are looking for daycare WILL read it. I went with godaddy for the domain name which i was also told was way long. I figured parents can remember 4 words. So my site is godaddy. It cost $40, domain included for the year. It doesnt give you fun things to put on your site like animated objects or anything. So my site is bright....and thats it I guess. Please check it out and tell me what you think. Im still tweaking it though. Thanks
www.auntieshousehomedaycare.com
www.facebook.com/auntieshousehomedaycare
Michael 12:48 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Auntie'sHouse:
After reading all of the info about websites I decided to create one on my own....1st time. I must have republished it 22 times in 2 weeks. I asked family and friends to check it out and clearly they didnt even bother to read any of it because I myself found errors in it. I guess only parents actually looking for daycare will actually read it...smh! I was so excited about it I pressed the publish button right away. I keep finding new things to add to it. The response I kept getting was that it was too long. I did shorten it but then remembered parents who are looking for daycare WILL read it. I went with godaddy for the domain name which i was also told was way long. I figured parents can remember 4 words. So my site is godaddy. It cost $40, domain included for the year. It doesnt give you fun things to put on your site like animated objects or anything. So my site is bright....and thats it I guess. Please check it out and tell me what you think. Im still tweaking it though. Thanks
www.auntieshousehomedaycare.com
www.facebook.com/auntieshousehomedaycare
Welcome to the virtual world. You've bought and created your first privately owned virtual property with an address! That's a big step, and you will advance in your knowledge and understanding of how to make it better and more marketable over time.

I like what I've seen so far but I am looking at it from my iPhone and the template will look different then from a desktop. I will check it out later and have more feedback.

I was excited back when I started my first website back in 1995 and have been ever since.

Just today a friend that I have known my whole life just put up her website. Years ago I registered her last name knowing that someday she would need it. She asked for it last year and created her new business on it and is branding the name. Check it out. www.Lividini.com
Auntie'sHouse 12:54 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome to the virtual world. You've bought and created your first privately owned virtual property with an address! That's a big step, and you will advance in your knowledge and understanding of how to make it better and more marketable over time.

I like what I've seen so far but I am looking at it from my iPhone and the template will look different then from a desktop. I will check it out later and have more feedback.

I was excited back when I started my first website back in 1995 and have been ever since.

Just today a friend that I have known my whole life just put up her website. Years ago I registered her last name knowing that someday she would need it. She asked for it last year and created her new business on it and is branding the name. Check it out. www.Lividini.com
You can't hear the music from a cell phone....Love your friends page! Thanks for the response.
Michael 04:06 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Auntie'sHouse:
You can't hear the music from a cell phone....Love your friends page! Thanks for the response.
I had a chance to look at your address at my desk. I like it and have several suggestion or observations.

It looks very patriotic with the red, white and blue. Was that on purpose?
I would not have your text in blue since that color is identified as a link to me. Links do not have to have to be underlined anymore.

Are you the artist in the music? If not, I would not use it. People usually don't sit and wait for the music to finish. They are usually looking though your content for something specific about you and your daycare. I know you may be trying to create ambiance but it actually distracts when switching through your pages as the ambiance from one page stops and a new song begins with a new page. Almost makes me not want to disrupt the song.

ON your frontpage, I would remove "Auntie's House Home Daycare" that sits on top of the picture and put it where "Welcome to Auntie's House" currently is. The two titles seems redundant to me.

Lastly, in the About Us page. I would like to read more about you and your methods and experience.

Hope that helps.
Auntie'sHouse 05:44 AM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
I had a chance to look at your address at my desk. I like it and have several suggestion or observations.

It looks very patriotic with the red, white and blue. Was that on purpose?
I would not have your text in blue since that color is identified as a link to me. Links do not have to have to be underlined anymore.

Are you the artist in the music? If not, I would not use it. People usually don't sit and wait for the music to finish. They are usually looking though your content for something specific about you and your daycare. I know you may be trying to create ambiance but it actually distracts when switching through your pages as the ambiance from one page stops and a new song begins with a new page. Almost makes me not want to disrupt the song.

ON your frontpage, I would remove "Auntie's House Home Daycare" that sits on top of the picture and put it where "Welcome to Auntie's House" currently is. The two titles seems redundant to me.

Lastly, in the About Us page. I would like to read more about you and your methods and experience.

Hope that helps.
Yes it does...thanks. I keep getting info about the appearance needs to be bright etc. I'll go fix it now...thanks a bunch.
Tags:advertising, domain names, marketing, website - how to, website review
Reply Up