Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wholegrain Cereal
Gemma 05:01 AM 03-12-2015
Does anyone have a suggestion on wholegrain cereals?
....something that tastes good, and 2 -3yr olds like?
Blackcat31 05:11 AM 03-12-2015
My kiddos Cheerios!

Cheerios
Cheerios are made with whole grain oats (16 g) and are a great toddler and kid-friendly snack. (1 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 160mg sodium)

Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a whole grain, loaded with heart healthy fiber, and very filling. It tastes delicious with fresh fruit and nuts. If you choose to buy flavored quick-cook oatmeal, watch out for sugar and additives.

Kix
This cereal is made from whole grain corn (8g) and contains 45% daily value of iron. (3 g sugar, 3 g fiber)

Life
This kid favorite is made with whole grain oat flour (18 g), but, like Honey Nut Cheerios, is 1 g short on fiber. (6 g sugar, 2 g fiber)

http://parentables.howstuffworks.com...eals-kids.html
Gemma 05:35 AM 03-12-2015
Thanks Blackcat!
I serve kix, I just wonder if they're getting bored with it!...it's hard to compete with mom's lucky charms
mamamanda 05:49 AM 03-12-2015
My kids all love cheerios as well! My own son doesn't like the taste of oatmeal, but I got a kick out of the new boys that just started here a few weeks ago. They didn't have a clue what oatmeal even was. They kept asking, "But what is it?"
Baby Beluga 07:20 AM 03-12-2015
My kids love cheerios too! Especially if I mix in banana or strawberry slices.
AmyKidsCo 09:04 AM 03-12-2015
Cheerios here too!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:05 AM 03-12-2015
We eat only two cold cereals. For convenience, we eat Mom's Best Toasted Wheatfuls. They have 1 ingredient: wheat. For a more substantial meal, we eat homemade granola.
Gemma 09:12 AM 03-12-2015
All those in favor of Cheerios, do you mean the regular (made with wholegrain) or the Multigrain Cheerios?
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
All those in favor of Cheerios, do you mean the regular (made with wholegrain) or the Multigrain Cheerios?
Personally I all Cheerios! My personal favorite is the Banana ones

As for the DCK's, I serve only multi-grain or regular.

The others are yummy but I think the added flavor (sugar) negates what's good about Cheerios. kwim?
Meyou 09:38 AM 03-12-2015
I serve multigrain Cheerios, oatmeal and a couple of types of organic puffs that have nothing in them but the grain. We like corn puffs, kamut puff and whole grain rice puffs. I also make granola.
melilley 10:07 AM 03-12-2015
How do you make granola?
And I don't like how the fp only lists granola bars as a dessert snack, but there isn't a regular granola option!
CraftyMom 10:38 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
How do you make granola?
And I don't like how the fp only lists granola bars as a dessert snack, but there isn't a regular granola option!
I noticed that too.

If you want to claim it I would select "oats". There is also a "granola" option under breads, I assume this would be granola bread, but you could probably use it for regular granola since it simply says "granola"
nothingwithoutjoy 10:54 AM 03-12-2015
How do you make granola?
That's annoying. I don't do the food program anymore because they annoyed me in too many ways.

The recipe I usually use isn't online; I'll have to look later. But I try new ones a lot, too. I pretty much always use coconut oil as a substitute for whatever oil they suggest. Here are some:

This one makes a ton.

This one's got extra protein.

This one looks super yummy, but I don't think I've tried it yet.

The proportion of sugar in this one is higher than I like to use, but it sure does look delicious. I'll probably make some just for me, 'cause I'm a hypocrite like that (more sugar for me, less for the kids).
Margarete 12:22 PM 03-12-2015
I also like Chex and mini wheats.

I love Rice Chex for early finger food. A bit bigger so easier to pick up then cheerios. Dissolves in their mouth quicker, is pretty healthy and much cheaper then other easy dissolved baby finger food

My 3 year old loves frosted mini wheats. The box says it has 46g of whole grains in one serving! (serving size by weight though is 54g: larger then a lot of cereals, which also makes the 11g of sugar comparable to the 6g in multi-grain Cheerios by weight)
melilley 12:35 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I noticed that too.

If you want to claim it I would select "oats". There is also a "granola" option under breads, I assume this would be granola bread, but you could probably use it for regular granola since it simply says "granola"
My list of foods does not even have an Oat or Granola option! Annoying!
melilley 12:35 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
That's annoying. I don't do the food program anymore because they annoyed me in too many ways.

The recipe I usally use isn't online; I'll have to look later. But I try new ones a lot, too. I pretty much always use coconut oil as a substitute for the whatever oil they suggest. Here are some:

This one makes a ton.

The proportion of sugar in this one is higher than I like to use, but it sure does look delicious. I'll probably make some just for me, 'cause I'm a hypocrite like that (more sugar for me, less for the kids).
Awesome, thanks! I'm going to have to try these out!
melilley 12:37 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:

The recipe I usally use isn't online; I'll have to look later. But I try new ones a lot, too. I pretty much always use coconut oil as a substitute for the whatever oil they suggest. Here are some:

This one makes a ton.

Ok, now I feel dumb. I never put it together that granola is made from oats, I was thinking it was it's own grain! I feel REALLY dumb! Makes perfect sense...lol
Meyou 05:43 AM 03-13-2015
I use different recipes for granola. I stick to the ones that use honey or maple syrup as a sweetener instead of sugar. I also sub the oil for coconut oil as a pp suggested. Add coconut, raisins, hemp for protein and it's super yummy! My dh eats it as a snack all the time.
Gemma 05:50 AM 03-13-2015
Ok, now I feel dumb. I never put it together that granola is made from oats, I was thinking it was it's own grain! I feel REALLY dumb! Makes perfect sense...lol
Don't feel bad, I'm as dumb as you, cause I didn't know that either!

Thank you everyone, you have been so helpful!
Unregistered 07:14 PM 03-13-2015
I serve

Organic O's from Aldi's
Cascading Farms organic graham or cinnamon crunch. A lot less sweet, but still basically a sweetened cereal, so I limit these.
Organic oatmeal
Tags:cereal, whole foods
Reply Up