Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well that explains it...
bananas 11:20 AM 05-21-2015
I have an issue getting the kids I watch to play with toys. They do a lot of wandering in circles aimlessly…I model play, they give me a blank stare, and whine "I'm dooooooone."

This morning 3 year old DCG is wandering aimlessly. I have coloring books set up at the table, Magnatiles on a mat, and a sensory bin out. I tell her that she needs to find something to do or I will find something to do for her. She moans while sitting in front of the Magnatiles and asks, "Will you give me a treat if I play with these?"

Hmmmm...
Thriftylady 11:39 AM 05-21-2015
When I see this, I figure there must be a ton of screen time at home. Sadly it is a sign of the times. Good luck with play training, keep it up they will get it.
NightOwl 11:52 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
When I see this, I figure there must be a ton of screen time at home. Sadly it is a sign of the times. Good luck with play training, keep it up they will get it.
Exactly. Too much TV, tablet, laptop, etc, etc. Keep all devices put away so it's not even an option. They WILL get it eventually.
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 05-21-2015
I'd treat this like meal time.

You provide the environment.

They play. or don't.

I wouldn't do anything else other than what you have been doing.

IME, kids will figure it out if you provide toys and activities that are age appropriate and developmentally appropriate.
AmyKidsCo 12:55 PM 05-21-2015
Or parents that play with them/entertain them constantly. I know a mom of a 3 yr old who's always playing with the child - I've never seen the child play by herself. It's an extension of helicopter parenting...
cheerfuldom 02:10 PM 05-21-2015
all of the above posts are right.

and some kids just aren't hands on. They don't want to touch or do anything. I don't mind at all as long as they aren't getting into trouble. But yeah the walking in circles round and round things is a little creepy....like a caged animal. I purposefully set up my playroom so there isn't circular paths to wander or run or play chase with. I also don't do pull toys, push toys or button pushing toys because those are the style of toys that the "path walkers" will do....over and over. I do have a small number of push toys for my own kids but overall, I don't do toys that offer repetitive motions as the only play options.
Shell 03:02 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Or parents that play with them/entertain them constantly. I know a mom of a 3 yr old who's always playing with the child - I've never seen the child play by herself. It's an extension of helicopter parenting...

Reply Up