Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mini Rant About Daycare Parents
Idkwatimdoing 10:04 PM 03-06-2019
(Backstory: Just shy of a month I started working at a daycare/preschool. Now a little backstory to my credication I am more use to tutoring. I can tutor the kids in groups as well as individually. So when I got hired as a daycare teacher it was drastically different.)

Onto the actual story... So because I just got hired and is relatively new. I have dealt with several parents complaining about extremely small issues. But none can hold a candle on today. Granted this issue is quite big because we are in the process of potty training this one individual. And like most kids they need to understand and learn the concept of going on a tiolet. This child does understand to some extent but I can tell that he is scared of something. And of course I decided to ask him, so I can understand his mentality his perspective. He told me it's because there's a lion. I told him there's only water but I do have some ideas of getting him to understand the concept of a tiolet like why the water drains etc.

This is where the rant begins. I told the kid's father that he seemed scared of the tiolet because there's a lion. The reason why I said it was because I thought they'll understand his perspective. I was in no way making a huge scene like his mother was implying. Like are you kidding me. In her email she acted like I was complaining that he peed his pants, that it was such a inconvenience. She's so senstive that its almost laughable. Anyway...that was my mini rant... I felt inconvenience to my boss but the more I think og her mail the more livid I get.
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 03-07-2019
I'm sorry you are dealing with difficult parents.

I don't potty train kids as that is a parental responsibility so I have no advice but unfortunately you will find that most parents will simply hand off the job to you if you are willing to take it on.

If these parents aren't willing to listen to you when you are trying to support and encourage their child, I'd let the director manage it. Most center employees here don't deal directly with parent issues.
knoxmomof2 03:44 PM 03-10-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't potty train kids as that is a parental responsibility so I have no advice but unfortunately you will find that most parents will simply hand off the job to you if you are willing to take it on.
BC, how do you handle the potty training situation then? Just curious.
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
BC, how do you handle the potty training situation then? Just curious.
When I have a child ready to wear underwear the parent usually takes a long weekend and ditches the diapers. By the time the child comes back to care, they are ready to be in underwear. Because of sanitary rules though, they must wear protective covering over their underwear for 2 weeks.

Once they manage that for two weeks, they are free to wear underwear like a big kid!

My potty training routine consists of alot of discussion PRIOR to a child being ready. I make sure my parents understand what "being ready" means. Most times what parents think is ready isn't "ready".

A truly ready to train child really requires no "training" at all and can be transitioned from a Pull-up/diaper to underwear in 3 days usually.

IMHO, it's what happens before what most people think of as training that is important. Once a parent really understands the process, it's super easy.

I have a list of things the child must master before "training". Most of those things are developmental and can't really be taught although parental support while learning is vital. In my experience most my kiddos train relatively easy and there isn't much fuss about it over all.

Average age for kids to be in underwear here is about 2 yrs 8 months. I have had a couple 2 yr olds completely trained and I've had kids as old as 3.5 but I've never had anyone in Pull ups/diapers at 4 yrs old.
LittleExplorers 07:00 AM 03-12-2019

I have a list of things the child must master before "training". Most of those things are developmental and can't really be taught although parental support while learning is vital.

Would you mind sharing your list? I am about to hit that milestone for the first time as a provider. I have one who mom says is ready only because she doesn't want 2 in diapers and is expecting. I have told her it's not an option at this time here. I have another who is so ready and I would love to know how to best support him in the transition.
Idkwatimdoing 11:04 PM 04-23-2019
I'm sorry you are dealing with difficult parents.

If these parents aren't willing to listen to you when you are trying to support and encourage their child, I'd let the director manage it. Most center employees here don't deal directly with parent issues.
Thank you very much for replying and I'm sorry it took so long to reply back. I've been extremely busy with this job...and lately I'm getting more depressed just working here...
Snowmom 06:30 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Would you mind sharing your list? I am about to hit that milestone for the first time as a provider. I have one who mom says is ready only because she doesn't want 2 in diapers and is expecting. I have told her it's not an option at this time here. I have another who is so ready and I would love to know how to best support him in the transition.
I know it's been a month since you posted but if you are still looking for a list, here is my letter I give out when a parent mentions PT.
Attached: The Next Step In Potty Training.docx (16.9 KB) 
Tags:parents, parents - confrontational, potty training issues, rant
Reply Up