Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update on State Visit
springv 04:50 PM 04-03-2019
Hi guys so I just wanted to give you all my update about our annual visit from State. They finally showed up today after not coming for 2 months they're supposed to come in January and they didn't show up until today. the visit went well we just got a few loose ends that we need to fix but nothing big. One thing that I was wondering because y'all are from different states and every state As far as regulations are different but what do you do as far as items being put up to keep kids from reaching them. One thing that we got cited for was that the chemicals were not properly labeled and we had an air freshener sitting out but it was high enough that the kids can't get it and
Michael 06:21 PM 04-03-2019
You may consider a child-proof storage container.

https://www.ebay.com/i/143172483948?chn=ps

Josiegirl 02:16 AM 04-04-2019
I don't use air fresheners, just crack a window or turn on a ceiling fan.
As far as chemicals, everything I buy stays in its original container. And most of what I buy now is Green Works or something similar; always stored in a locked cabinet. The only things I have out that are not locked are items such as bug repellent and sunscreen which stay in a plastic shoe box on top of the wall cubbies, which are over 6 1/2 high off the floor. I do have a locked box in my fridge for meds. and the necessary kitchen cupboards(containing meds or chemicals) all have locks on them.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 04-04-2019
My cleaning products also remain in the original container. I store all things in locked cupboards either in the kitchen, bathroom or the entryway storage closet. All my cupboards have magnetic child proof locks on them. Kids never have access to anything not meant for them. Including diaper cream etc..

I have locks similar to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBDaFSQdqo
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 04-04-2019
I don't lock things away. I keep them in upper cabinets in the house, not the playroom/bathroom or within reach in the 3 rooms they pass through -supervised- on the way there.

I am not even allowed to keep acrylic paint in the playroom. Everything must be labeled "non-toxic" to be stored in the playroom/bathroom. If it says "keep out of reach" it cannot be stored anywhere in the playroom or bathroom.

Funny story; dirty diapers and soiled facial tissue/hand towels/wipes may be kept in the bathroom, in a can, with a lid. The toilet brush, also stored in a can with a lid, may not be kept in the bathroom.
hwichlaz 10:23 AM 04-04-2019
Anything that says "keep out of the reach of children" must be out of reach.

If it says, "Contact Poison Control" then it must be behind a double action lock of some kind...so a key lock.
littlefriends 11:46 AM 04-04-2019
I keep most of my stuff locked in the bathroom closet except the bleach and laundry stuff which stays on top of my fridge in the kitchen. Diapering stuff is in a basket that is in a locked cabinet in the living room next to the changing table.
Jiminycrickets 12:00 PM 04-04-2019
All our chemicals are in locked cabinets in either the bathrooms or the kitchen, except my state allows me to keep a spray bottle of sanitizer out by the changing table for diaper changes. That is stored on the top shelf in the bathroom, about 6 1/2 feet up. I also can keep diaper cream and toothpaste up there.
springv 04:15 PM 04-05-2019
We use a tackle box with a lock & key to store our chemicals but one of the teachers didn't have hers locked and the lock was behind the box on the cubbies
Tags:inspection, storage containers
Reply Up