Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeding Kids - Ugh - Can I Limit Grains - Need Suggestions
284878 02:36 PM 06-18-2015
DCM says that DCB (5) will eat anything. However, he never eats anything. I serve meals family style, so less waste. So today, he refused protein and vegetable but took fruit and grain. This is what he does most days.
During snack he will ask for seconds, I been telling everyone no. DCG (3.5) (sister) will take a try everything, when she says she does not like it. He will tell her "yes you do".

Ugh

Can I limit servings on grains to one serving, even though I offer seconds on everything else? (I am on the food program)

Any suggestions on how to encourage him to eat?
Thriftylady 03:10 PM 06-18-2015
I think if you offer the min. serving you can. What kinds of grains are you serving? Perhaps you can replace them with brown rice and other whole grains so that they are still getting the grains but more nutrition.
Heidi 03:20 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I think if you offer the min. serving you can. What kinds of grains are you serving? Perhaps you can replace them with brown rice and other whole grains so that they are still getting the grains but more nutrition.
I also rarely serve grains for snack. Protein and veggies make GREAT snacks. I also only do fruit with breakfast, and once in a while with PM snack.
Unregistered 03:27 PM 06-18-2015
Limit a second helping of grains? Yes!
NightOwl 03:45 PM 06-18-2015
A grain is a required component of snack, though.
LysesKids 04:33 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
No it's not... you just need 2 of the 4 components; of course you can't do fruit & fruit juice, but who said you had to do a bread/grain? Many days it's yogurt with fruit or hummus with veg dippers here (sometimes pretzels as dippers or a Dutch baby gets made every now & then, but hey); My littles cannot do popcorn, but that's a cheap snack too
Leigh 04:34 PM 06-18-2015
Maybe requirements vary from state to state, but snack for me consists of 2 of these 3: protein, fruit or veg, grain.
LysesKids 04:49 PM 06-18-2015
Here's what the federal guidelines say... for breakfast, 3, for lunch all 4, for snack it's any 2 of the 4 listed

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...hild_Meals.pdf
Heidi 01:04 PM 06-19-2015
?????

Here, it is not. We need to serve 2 components, but grains are not required. It's weird how different FP's interpret it differently.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 06-19-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
DCM says that DCB (5) will eat anything. However, he never eats anything. I serve meals family style, so less waste. So today, he refused protein and vegetable but took fruit and grain. This is what he does most days.
During snack he will ask for seconds, I been telling everyone no. DCG (3.5) (sister) will take a try everything, when she says she does not like it. He will tell her "yes you do".

Ugh

Can I limit servings on grains to one serving, even though I offer seconds on everything else? (I am on the food program)

Any suggestions on how to encourage him to eat?
I limit grains during lunch and after the first serving of everything there is NO seconds unless ALL your food is gone so daycare boy would NOT get anything more than his first serving of grains and fruit unless he ate the veggies and protein too... then IF I have seconds available he could have them but not grains... I never do seconds on the carbs.

No it isn't, Lyse's Kids is correct.... you are only required to chose 2 of the 4 food groups for snack. Grains for infants is required for snack. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of... They must have breast milk or formula and a bread or bread alternate (grain)

.... I've never served a grain for snack to my other kids.

I ONLY serve fresh veggies or fruit for snacks.
Onawhim 06:44 AM 06-19-2015
Wow I thought grains should be a must at each meal. They have fruit and grain for snack, protein fruit or veg and grain for lunch and fruit or veg grain and dairy for snack.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 06-19-2015
Originally Posted by Onawhim:
Wow I thought grains should be a must at each meal. They have fruit and grain for snack, protein fruit or veg and grain for lunch and fruit or veg grain and dairy for snack.
Whole grains are a part of healthy eating but in this day and age all kids eat are carbs (and rarely whole grains, usually processed unhealthy ones) and that is part of why we have an obesity epidemic.... not enough veggies and not enough exercise to burn off those carbs.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:56 AM 06-19-2015
Oh I just completed my "family style" training. Ok, yes you only have to offer the minimum serving. So if you are serving pasta it is 1/4 C (shocking eh?) I do let them have 1/2 C of macaroni and cheese. Use your measuring cups as dippers and tell them they can scoop one serving (cup) and that is all. You may tell them they may have 1/2 slice of bread etc. I also do not do seconds unless they eat the majority of their other items.
I have the twin sibling set here at my house. 5 yo boy only eats carbs- if I melt cheese on carb he will eat it (grilled cheese, quesadilla etc) rarely eats protein. No veg except spaghetti sauce on pizza (which I add spinach etc into and puree) Spaghetti sauce on pasta he will literally wipe off! An occasional apple but that is it. Needless to say they have to give him laxatives every day so he will poop. I stirred peas into the mac and cheese today and he picked every one out of the shells! every one. He is going to drive me crazy. He will forgo food over eating something he doesn't want to eat. No grapes, no watermelon.... bread, crackers, macaroni (unless it is red or green). He will only eat pb toast or pancakes for breakfast. No cereal or oatmeal. No milk. 3 yr old eats well but is starting to pick up on his I won't eat it. SO FRUSTRATING!
Side note- I do not serve family style because I feel like he needs to see at least a bite of everything on his plate even if he isn't going to eat it. And sister will eventually eat it if it is on her plate. Maybe in the fall when he goes off to kindergarten.
NightOwl 09:50 AM 06-19-2015
Here, it is. It's confusing but my food program rep (and the one before her) said it had to be a grain and one other component (fluids are not required for snack, which still baffles me). The second component can be a fruit, a veggie, or a dairy, but the grain is not optional. Do different states have different requirements? I thought it was a national standard. I always choose milk as the second component because I can't imagine not providing fluids with a snack.
Thriftylady 09:53 AM 06-19-2015
Back when I was on the FP, I had to choose 2 of the 4 for snack. It didn't have to be grain. I usually provide water with snack, milk with lunch or other meals.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 06-19-2015
Here, it is. It's confusing but my food program rep (and the one before her) said it had to be a grain and one other component (fluids are not required for snack, which still baffles me). The second component can be a fruit, a veggie, or a dairy, but the grain is not optional. Do different states have different requirements? I thought it was a national standard. I always choose milk as the second component because I can't imagine not providing fluids with a snack.
The meal patterns are a FEDERAL requirement. If your previous rep told you a grain was required for snacks (over 12 months) she was mis-informed.

Requirements DO vary from state to state but NOT the meal patterns.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cacfp/meals-and-snacks

Sometimes instead of milk as one of the components I will serve two options and water.
Leigh 11:07 AM 06-19-2015
I'm glad I saw this post...I was wrong in my previous post. I swore that I was told the milk was required at snack PLUS 2 of the 3 other components. Glad to know that I no longer have to dump all that untouched milk down the drain at snack time any more!
Controlled Chaos 12:29 PM 06-19-2015
I offer water at every snack/meal, especially in the summer.
itlw8 03:33 PM 06-19-2015
yes while states can make the regulations stricter The requirements are a federal guideline.

Do you not have a manual from your sponsor about the requirements. ??? Look up the requirements for snack and then call your sponsoring organization and tell them what your rep said and you are confused.

Actually they think providers serve grains and juice too often for snack and want more protein and veggies
NightOwl 01:31 PM 06-19-2015
I need to call her ASAP!! The previous rep trained the current rep, so I'm betting the mistake was passed down. And I'm betting everyone in my district is following the same incorrect rule.
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 06-19-2015
I need to call her ASAP!! The previous rep trained the current rep, so I'm betting the mistake was passed down. And I'm betting everyone in my district is following the same incorrect rule.
Use the link I posted....it is directly from the USDA site.

ETA: Some states have specific licensing requirements in regards to meals and snacks but I have yet to hear of a state that differs from the actual meal component's required by the USDA.
Unregistered 02:20 PM 06-19-2015
Long time ago, 1980's, FP required a wheat component in every snack. We heard it was because of farm lobbying. Then it got changed to 2 of 4 food groups, but not two liquids.
Maybe that old info got passed down from one person to another at your FP agency.
itlw8 03:36 PM 06-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Long time ago, 1980's, FP required a wheat component in every snack. We heard it was because of farm lobbying. Then it got changed to 2 of 4 food groups, but not two liquids.
Maybe that old info got passed down from one person to another at your FP agency.
I started in 1982 and that was never a regulation here. it was always 2 of 4 for snack.
NightOwl 03:56 PM 06-19-2015
She's calling her supervisor, but I'm not sure if she'll get her this late in the day on a Friday. I have the same info you guys do and it says choose 2 of the 4, but they've told me it had to include a grain. It wouldn't affect my previous claims because I did meet 2 of the 4, but I sure would love the option of leaving grains out of our snacks. I'll update when I hear back from her.
Thriftylady 05:04 PM 06-19-2015
If they still tell you that I might find someone else to call. Usually the way these things are written, is how it is. This doesn't seem to be one with shades of grey at all.
Tags:meals
Reply Up