Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Can't Carry All Day
countrymom 06:24 AM 11-02-2011
I have a 10month old who doesn't want me to put he down, and I mean when I do all he does is cry. Like today, I was sitting on the couch talking with my kids before they went to school and he was throwing a tantrum because I didn't get up and bring them in the other room to see what is going on. And when I do put them down they want me sit and stay with them the whole time. He can crawl very well. I'm at a loss what to do, and I've had him for 2 months everyday, so its not like they don't know me or the kids.
Francine 07:12 AM 11-02-2011
I have this kid too 7 months old but it's the same issue, he wants to be entertained all day.
Meyou 07:44 AM 11-02-2011
It may sound mean but I put them in a safe area with fun toys and let them scream. If you're changed, fed, not thirsty, not tired then you can play. I don't have time to walk around with babies and toddlers so they can turn lights off and on and point to things on the wall like their parents do.
renodeb 07:47 AM 11-02-2011
I think we have all had that kid, it can really take a toll on the whole dc. Mom must carry him around a lot at home? I hate to say it but I have dismissed kids like that, that just cant adjust to dc life and I mean they would scream everyday all day unless they were held. Just food for thought!
Good luck!
Debbie
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
It may sound mean but I put them in a safe area with fun toys and let them scream. If you're changed, fed, not thirsty, not tired then you can play. I don't have time to walk around with babies and toddlers so they can turn lights off and on and point to things on the wall like their parents do.
I do the same thing.

....and sadly if it doesn't get any better, I let them go.

How long I wait it out depends on what kind of a cryer the kid is. If they are screamers, they go alot sooner than if they are just sobbers...kwim?
cheerfuldom 10:03 AM 11-02-2011
I have had kids like that too. If they can't be happy in the group, they are separated and get to cry until they work that out of their systems. I do not carry kids period after they can walk (hugs and stuff are different of course). For crawlers, I only carry when absolutely needed, like lifting in the high chair. Everyone here gets used to floor time from day one.
caligirl 10:16 AM 11-02-2011
I think we've all had those kids. Separation anxiety. Typically starting at or around 9 months. Some earlier, some later. It's not a fun stage thats for sure. Not all of them go through it, thank goodness, but enough do. I have one here right now also. He's 8 months old...... I know what the deal is with this one and why he does it.....he sleeps with mommy and daddy. Carried around, never left to play alone. He's learned to whine (which is worse to me than crying all day). He isn't happy unless he has constant attention. Mom is complaining too. I said 'well, YOU created this mess, so YOU have to help get him out of it by not jumping when he fusses and by giving him things to play with instead of you' and for cryin' out loud, put this boy in his OWN bed so he'll learn that he doesn't need to be permanently attached to someone
countrymom 10:22 AM 11-02-2011
I'm letting him cry, there is no reason for me to carry all day, there are alot of things to do here and the kids play with him so I'm not sure why all the crying. I need to fix this because I feel like I'm neglecting the others (not in THAT sense but you all know what I mean)
lpperry 10:59 AM 11-02-2011
10 months is a very typical age for this to happen even when the child was an independent baby before. I have see this happen between 10 and 12 months for nearly every child I have watched. It is short lived and developmental.

Along with the being held, the ones I have have also screamed if the adult stands up and walk across the room.

I do as much sitting on the floor with baby as possible, but when I need to change diaper, do art, cook lunch, do something else, I may talk to the baby, but I don't pick him/her up. The baby might cry and scream, but I know the baby is okay.
Tags:baby zone, cry it out, crying for attention, infant - toys, play yard - infants
Reply Up