Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training-Underwear
mema 11:56 AM 09-20-2012
For those of you that PT with underware and not pull-ups, do you require the thick training underware with the plastic pants or just regular underware with the plastic pants?

I have a child that was almost trained back in the spring. Was doing awesome-a whole week with no accidents! Not sure what happened, but after a weekend, came back refusing to use the potty. Was using pull-ups, which I really don't like, but when the dck was using the toilet, it didn't bother me too much. Over the course of the summer there was absolutely no progress. I put back in diapers for a while and just let the subject go-didn't ask if dck had to go and didn't tell them to go try. Hoping that possibly taking the "pressure" off would rebound dck. Well, the child is just kind of stubborn I guess. Stays dry most of the morning and then just fills it and gets mad that they're wet. I know the child knows when they have to go. I don't want to tell dck to go to the bathroom when I know they can do it-it was proven in the spring.

So, that being said, I would like to drop the diapers and pull-ups, but I want as much coverage for accidents as possible (darn carpet cleaner is on the fritz), but still have the "feeling" there. Any opinions???

Wow, that got long. Sorry
Blackcat31 12:15 PM 09-20-2012
I require the kids to have the thick training underwear PLUS plastic pants over them. I don't like Pull-up, although I wouldn't tell a parent they CAN'T use them but I do usually suggest not to.

I will push for the think trainers because regular undies with plastic pants do NOTHING to contain the mess.
SimpleMom 02:11 PM 09-20-2012
Thick undies, plastic pants over them. I actually like the cloth diaper snap or velcro closure as a cover up (contains the mess better). Easier clean-up. Just make the closure loose so that they will pull up and down easier.
daycare 02:22 PM 09-20-2012
I will allow the undies with pull ups since it seems like the really think underwear is just like a pull up.

If that is not working, then I do the extra think underwear with plastic pants.

cat is right...the regular underwear with plastic pants will not contain accidents.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:20 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I require the kids to have the thick training underwear PLUS plastic pants over them. I don't like Pull-up, although I wouldn't tell a parent they CAN'T use them but I do usually suggest not to.

I will push for the think trainers because regular undies with plastic pants do NOTHING to contain the mess.
exactly this
itlw8 05:26 PM 09-20-2012
think trainers. I do not do plastic pants because I have tile floor in the childcare. Plus jeans when you pee are nasty and they do not do that too often. LOL

thin panties or underware is the prize for staying dry and clean Big kids wear those. funny even after they get the big kid panties they LOVE the soft trainers.
clep 07:35 PM 09-20-2012
I have the parents bring 12 pairs of regular underwear and 12 pairs of pants. The child must be able to fully change themselves when they pee and put their wet clothes in a bag. I practice for months before potty teaching having the children learn that skill. Proper hand washing is a skill that is practiced and mastered long before potty teaching starts. I find that the mental separation between diapers, pull ups and padded underwear to be a key in successful potty teaching.

I am not one to start potty teaching early. I start at 3 for boys and 2.5 for girls usually on average with each child's developmental stage as the determining factor.

I have a specific method that usually results in a fully potty taught child in five days. That method has only been successful with regular underwear in place.
mema 07:16 AM 09-21-2012
Thanks ladies! Thick trainers it will be! Wish me luck! I need to have at least one not in diapers
Sprouts 07:29 PM 09-21-2012
is there a particular brand that any of you would reccomend for thick trainers?
Reply Up