Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions Changing Careers
tenderhearts 08:13 AM 12-30-2015
I am really considering closing my daycare business after 16 years. However, I'm really worried about what type of job I can even get that will pay well enough that I could even make this change. I'm feeling "stuck". I do not want to do anything childcare related. I was a pharmacy tech but that was over 16 years ago, laws have changed. Has anyone known of anyone who has made a change? Also I'm really stuck on my resume, all samples I found are for providers looking for jobs in centers nothing about really changing careers.
I would have an assoc. degree in early childhood development but in order for me to take it to the local college to convert it to that I have to have completed one class at the college which will take time.
Just wondering if anyone has any information. thanks
spedmommy4 11:52 AM 12-30-2015
Is going back to school an option? I don't know about your area but the job market seems to be challenging all over. In your position, some things I might consider are:

*training in school to do something completely different
Or, if you still like working with kids in some capacity, maybe look at variations of what you do now.

For example, I didn't want to be a teacher with my bachelors so I went into early intervention. There are also positions home visiting or consulting through head start. But that's only if you think you might still want to work with children and families.
Laurel 12:06 PM 12-30-2015
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I am really considering closing my daycare business after 16 years. However, I'm really worried about what type of job I can even get that will pay well enough that I could even make this change. I'm feeling "stuck". I do not want to do anything childcare related. I was a pharmacy tech but that was over 16 years ago, laws have changed. Has anyone known of anyone who has made a change? Also I'm really stuck on my resume, all samples I found are for providers looking for jobs in centers nothing about really changing careers.
I would have an assoc. degree in early childhood development but in order for me to take it to the local college to convert it to that I have to have completed one class at the college which will take time.
I don't really have much advice but once when moving to this area I decided to try for another type of job before getting a job in a school.

I think I blew the interview when I realized I had talked about working with children too much. They asked me a question about I would handle such and such dilemma and I related it to childcare. When I walked out of there I thought "They are never going to hire me to do this. All I did was talk about children!" Duh. That did tell me that what I really wanted to do was work with children after all though.

I was just trying to give examples of business-like things I did in childcare but it came out all wrong. Just keep that in mind. They want to know how you can solve THEIR problems.
childcaremom 12:19 PM 12-30-2015
I apply off and on at jobs outside the home. Especially if I am having a bad week here.

I go to interviews if I am called because it is good experience and helps to keep me current in case an awesome position did open up.

It is daycare but we are running a business. So I look at things from that aspect. I review my strengths, my accomplishments, things that I have done to make my business unique and then relate that to the job I am applying for. Play that up during interviews.

My latest interview I was offered the job but would only make 1/2 as much as I make doing childcare, after I consider travel expenses, childcare, etc. Plus the hours would have been the same, if not longer, when I factor in travel times.
snbauser 01:59 PM 12-30-2015
I am where you are. I will be closing after this school year. I've sent out many applications and resume's but not even an interview. I will be finishing my Associates this spring....hopefully. I'm hoping that will help. But I think so much of finding a job is not what you know but who you know. I'm hopeful that when I officially announce the closing and can start networking I will be able to get something. If you are interested I would be happy to share my resume although like I said, it hasn't gotten me anything yet.
tenderhearts 03:13 PM 12-30-2015
Thank you, that would would be great if you shared your resume. I completed mine but it would be helpful to see if I've missed anything or maybe I shouldn't put something in it.
Unfortunately I can't close without having a job lined up. I wish I could. I'm so back and forth. I too seem to dream of a different job when I've had a bad week or lack of motivation lol. I make a list why I should and why I shouldn't. One of the main reasons well 2 reasons, is financially I make way more than I would now outside and when our daughter and son n law have kids, I want so badly to have them here and not with someone else.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:08 PM 12-30-2015
I closed my doors last month...well, kind of. I was suppose to have both families till the end of november, but one family left early (oct) and the other family will be with me for a few months longer (mom has crazy schedule, so I get paid well and dcb is super easy). Since I was suppose to have the other family longer, I ended up taking a serving job to help with income, especially over the holidays. My long term plan is to finish school, but in the meantime, I am just rolling with it all I have been in childcare for 17 years and since I still get a taste of it with watching my one little dcb, I guess I have not fully transitioned yet, but the plan is to move on from it completely, so it will be fun and exciting to do something new. Even just serving tables a few nights a wekk has been kind of fun. Great money and speaking to adults is something I forgot I actually loved to do Sometimes I get nervous and think I should just go back to childcare, because I have spent so long building my background in it, but I ultimately was not happy with the situation I was in and so I made the changes for a reason, and I remind myself of it. I still get to watch my one little guy and be home with my daughter, so I am just trying to roll with the punches and accept that getting out of childcare means I have to try new stuff and be open to change, however it may come. Good luck to you!
tenderhearts 01:34 PM 01-05-2016
I just feel like I wont make enough money if I leave which is a huge issue since my hubby has a lot of medical issues and can't work much, he contributes but mine is the main source so this makes me feel stranded and stuck. I am thinking of taking classes but I just don't know what yet.
AmyKidsCo 04:46 PM 01-07-2016
I just feel like I wont make enough money if I leave which is a huge issue since my hubby has a lot of medical issues and can't work much, he contributes but mine is the main source so this makes me feel stranded and stuck. I am thinking of taking classes but I just don't know what yet.
I've had the same thought. If I go to a group center I won't make near what I'm making here, not counting the Time/Space tax savings. And if I wanted to teach in the school system I'd have to get certified. So every time I think about making a change I talk myself out of it.
Annalee 05:38 PM 01-07-2016
Sad to say but I have considered leaving FCC the last few months. I have been in child care since graduating high school over 30 years ago and owned my own FCC for over 20 years. But like you, I would not make the money I do now. My ECE degree would put me in Headstart (which I do not care for plus I would not make the money I make now) and a teachers aide position (make only half the money what I make now). I absolutely love the watching kids learn and grow, what makes them tick and what doesn't, if they are reaching their milestones, etc.... However, between QRIS, the new styles of parents, the state paperwork and changes, etc. have taken a toll on me.....I realize it is best all around for my family if I hang with child care, but I am so tired of feeling like an enforcer every day to someone that enters my program. It seems no matter how hard I try to alleviate issues, something will slip through the cracks and I think "where did that come from"...... Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide and I understand how you feel.
Tags:changing careers, job change
Reply Up