Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are Waiting Lists Pointless?
Mary Poppins 08:48 AM 04-02-2012
I am starting to think they are lol.

I have one spot to fill and on Thursday I called a couple of people who asked to be put on my waiting list a few weeks ago, but so far no response.

Anyone else have any luck with waiting lists or do you even do them?
Meeko 08:51 AM 04-02-2012
Mine's not really a waiting list in that people are just hanging around waiting for me to call. It's really just a place to write names of interested people. If I ever get an opening, I go to that list first. Nine times out of ten, it's many months or even years since they called me and have found other care.
CheekyChick 08:53 AM 04-02-2012
I have a wait list, but often times the families who want a spot have already found one by the time I have a spot for them. Obviously, if they need care, they can't wait a year for a spot here.

On a good note, if someone wasn't happy with the care they've found, they will switch when I have an opening.

So... I say keep the wait list.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 04-02-2012
I have a wait list but the only people on it have paid, a two week deposit so when I call them whether or not they have found alternate or temporary care, they always enroll here.

Their two week deposit is non-refundable and is applied to their 5th and 6th weeks of care.

That way anyone who truly wants on the wait list truly wants to be here.
Mary Poppins 09:01 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a wait list but the only people on it have paid, a two week deposit so when I call them whether or not they have found alternate or temporary care, they always enroll here.

Their two week deposit is non-refundable and is applied to their 5th and 6th weeks of care.

That makes a lot more sense.
MizzCheryl 09:23 AM 04-02-2012
Wow blackcat you are a genuis. What a great idea. Most the time by the time I call someione with an opening it has been at least a year since they called looking for child care.
familyschoolcare 09:34 AM 04-02-2012

How did you choose weeks 5 and 6.
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
How did you choose weeks 5 and 6.
I went with 5th and 6th weeks because most of the time, if a family stays beyond the first month, they are going to stay long term.

I used to apply it during the first week, but then people would come and get their money's worth and leave so now it is 5th and 6th week. Haven't been burned by that method yet.
Mary Poppins 10:09 AM 04-02-2012
I went with 5th and 6th weeks because most of the time, if a family stays beyond the first month, they are going to stay long term.

I used to apply it during the first week, but then people would come and get their money's worth and leave so now it is 5th and 6th week. Haven't been burned by that method yet.
You really need to write a book. You could retire well from the profits.

Have I mentioned this before?
DBug 10:15 AM 04-02-2012
I have given spots to 3 families from my waiting list, so in my opinion, it is worth it. I do an email list though. When I have a spot open up, I bcc all of the email addresses on the list. I always make sure to add that if they don't need care anymore, to feel free to forward my email on to anyone they know of who might.

I do it all by email so that it's less time/work on my part than chasing people down by phone
wdmmom 10:18 AM 04-02-2012
I had a family on a waiting list that was referred to me by a current client. I emailed her a month ago to tell her that I would have an opening in June. (She was looking for an April opening.) I figured if she could find someone to fill in for 5 weeks, she would come here. She's been on my waiting list since last September!

Now that she's had the baby and I told her about the June opening, I haven't heard a word back. I had one of the current DCM's have a baby and is planning on returning to work in June. I met with her and her husband last week about rates, newborn schedules, etc. I should be getting the deposit to hold the spot this week.
snbauser 11:01 AM 04-02-2012
I have a waiting list and have used it to fill all of my upcoming openings for the fall. I only enroll 3-5 year olds so most of the time the parents are referred to me and get on my waiting list a year ahead of time to ensure a spot.
Tags:waiting list
Reply Up