Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Go Home!
SunshineMama 11:04 AM 05-14-2012
I called dcp' to pick up sick dcb almost 1.5 hours ago. DCD said he would come after a meeting, which ended over 40 minutes ago.

It's nap time and I am stuck here, providing 1:1 care with sick DCB, waiting for DCD to get here. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE MY TIME TO DECOMPRESS ALONE! GO HOME SICK DCB!

I need to obviously revise the handbook. What are your policies on parents taking too long to pick up their sick kids?
Daycare Diva 11:08 AM 05-14-2012
My parents have 45 minutes after I inform them to pick up to arrive and pick up there child.
MizzCheryl 11:08 AM 05-14-2012
Call him again.
And again
and again!!!!
I have dealt with that. I call every 15 minutes!
SunshineMama 11:09 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Daycare Diva:
My parents have 45 minutes after I inform them to pick up to arrive and pick up there child.
What do you do if they dont show up?
SunshineMama 11:11 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
Call him again.
And again
and again!!!!
I have dealt with that. I call every 15 minutes!
What do you do to prevent that from happening again? I feel like, if I have to call every 15 minutes every time dcb is sent home sick I am going to go crazy. How do the parents act when you call them so much?

So irritated! I really needed a break today and now I'm not going to get one
snbauser 11:14 AM 05-14-2012
They have 1 hour to come get their child. If they can't I call emergency back up to come get them.
AfterSchoolMom 11:16 AM 05-14-2012
I have a 40 minute timeframe, and then I start charging late fees. I started that after I was in a similar situation. So sorry!
wdmmom 11:26 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Daycare Diva:
I have the same rule. And I charge $1.00 per minute if it takes longer than 45 minutes to get here.
KEG123 11:36 AM 05-14-2012
My parents have one hour, but it's primarily to allow drive time. I expect them to leave asap. One of my daycare families works 30 minutes away, so the one time I had to call her to pick up early, she had to place a few phone calls to find a replacement and then was here within 45 minutes. The other family's dad works only 5-10 minutes away and he was here within 20 minutes.
SunshineMama 11:37 AM 05-14-2012
They finally arrived! Of course they don't think he's sick- it must be somehow he ate... Whatever.

I'm adding the $1.00 per minute policy.
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 05-14-2012
I give parents 30 minutes to arrive. If they don't arrive within 30 minutes, I begin charging $1 per minute. I then contact someone from their emergency contact list to pick up the child.

The parent then receives a written warning. After 3 written warnings, I terminate.
SunshineMama 11:57 AM 05-14-2012
I didn't think to do a written warning- I'm adding that too!
momma2girls 12:28 PM 05-14-2012
I have an hr. as well, then I start calling all emergency contacts. How long has it been since you called them originally? I would keep calling and calling them, and leave message after message and say the next step is to call all their emergency contact people on the list.
Christian Mother 12:53 PM 05-14-2012
I allow 45min also. So far no ones abused this time frame so I haven't had to add late fees to my phb. If the parents where not here in 45min. I'd make another call...but normally my parents are frantic on picking up bc the kids don't get sick to often.

Did you mention that dcb can't return the follow day bc of being sick? If I send home it's bc of temp, throwing up, etc. All those call for them being out of care the following day. Should make you feel a tad better.
Lucy 01:06 PM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
They have 1 hour to come get their child. If they can't I call emergency back up to come get them.
Ditto this. After the discussion about Boy being sick and needing to be picked up, I say "Ok, just to let you know if you don't make it by (X time) I will call your emergency person. See you then " If they don't want that person to be bugged, they will make it on time!!
Mydaycare 02:46 PM 05-14-2012
I had the same situation about a week ago! dcb was sick I called dcm at 3:30 pm and the mom didn't showed up until 6:45 pm (her original pick up time) so I suspended the 2 dcb for 3 days and advice her that if it happens again I will terminate them.
bgmeyers 03:26 PM 05-14-2012
I allow one hour from the time I notify either parent. After one hour my late fees start at $1 per minute. I once had a dad actually ask me to call his wife for him! Nope, you were the first one I reached and I AM DEALING WITH YOUR SICK KID!!!
Almost all my parents are teachers who are really close by, but they have to wait until someone can cover for them. They can't just walk out of class. So one hour is my maximum. Have never had anybody go over that.
Reply Up