Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Else Can I Do!?
TwinKristi 02:16 PM 01-05-2014
I NEED to get more kids or I'm not going to be able to stay open.

I currently have a 2yr old of my own and a 2yr old DCB but only contracted 3 days a week T-W-Th but sometimes more, 7am-4pm. I also have a SA DCB after school 1:30/2:45 to 5:30pm M-F. This brings in about $1000/mo, then add the FP and it's about $1400. This just won't work, plus it leaves Mon & Fri empty until schools out. While this is nice because I can get a few things done with just my DS, I would rather be working! I've had an ad on CL for 4 months now. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/kid/4265036622.html I'm also registered with out R&R agency and get calls occasionally and plan on calling my contact and see if I can change some info the get more calls (hours, ages, etc) I paid for 3 mos for a listing on this site, Yelp, I have business cards I have given out to friends to share and have a long list of good references which NO ONE has ever called, even 3 families who've chosen me as their DCP. I was full until Aug which tripled my income but 3 families left all within 3 mos which really changed things. All left for various reasons, none negative. I can't advertise at our Ped's office or dentist office. I can't advertise at the school, I offered to advertise at a couple preschool for perhaps younger sibling referrals but it's too much of a conflict of interest. I was planning on trying the flyer idea with the little pocket for cards so I can refill them instead of putting up another. I have maybe 3-4 places I may be able to put a sign up; Our church which has a preschool and my target would be an alternate for the days they're not at preschool and younger siblings, a local maternity/newborn photog I've worked with in the past and thought could target the market for professional parents expecting or with a newborn, the 2 local consignment shops targeting 0-4.
I have considered using this slow time to take classes online and get some ECE credits under my belt and perhaps find work at a preschool once my baby is in school, so 3.5yrs. but I don't know how long the SA job will last, at least through June but then what? Then I'm down another 50% in income between tuition and FP. Then I may as well be license-exempt and then he's almost 2.5 so in 2-3 yrs he'll be in a preschool or kinder I'm sure.
Any suggestions? Anyone just not be able to stay busy? I'm really stressing out.
cheerfuldom 02:26 PM 01-05-2014
Why not do all those extra advertising options first and give it a couple more weeks? Have you checked to see if local providers or moms groups are on FB and will let you post an ad? Are there any additional places you can put up a flyer such as gas stations, the library, kids stores/gyms/chuckecheese type places? It sounds like you have some options and I would exhaust all those before going on to the next step. If you have to make a certain income, I wouldn't worry about possibly closing the daycare in the future. Just do what you need to do. That may mean putting your youngest in daycare or preschool but perhaps you can get a job at the same place. That would be another option!
melilley 02:35 PM 01-05-2014
I like your ad! Maybe you could put some pictures in it to stand out? It sounds like you are doing a lot to find clients!

Maybe you could do a website.? I had a few calls and/or emails from people who found my website.

I have been trying to fill a spot since Sept.! I had an ad up for 3 months and took it down for the holidays. I had gotten a few calls from it, but always for the wrong age. Luckily I got a personal reference and have a baby starting in Feb.!

I think that it's a slow time in general for people to find care. There were a couple of threads about this about a month or so ago and it seems like a lot of people were having a hard time finding families.

Sorry I don't have any other ideas!
Soccermom 02:50 PM 01-05-2014
How long have you been open?
Laurel 03:21 PM 01-05-2014
My provider friend always gets children by just seeing people in stores/restaurants/supermarkets, etc. and starting up a conversation. She'll say how cute the baby is and she has the gift of gab. I've always been a little shy to do that but it seems to work very well for her. She has her cards in her purse.

I have also put my price on CL and had it a bit lower than other licensed providers to get people in. You can raise it later but I figure a little less is better than none.

Laurel
TwinKristi 03:29 PM 01-05-2014
Well I've been doing license-exempt care on and off since 2006 and then worked at a high end fitness center Playcare dept for almost 2yrs and then had my baby and started doing license exempt care again for 2 diff families on diff days and also worked at my friend's daycare until Aug 2012. But I have only been licensed for Dec 2012. I had a baby start in mid-Aug 2012 who's mom decided to stay home after 4wks. Then another mom did the same thing last Aug after 4wks. I turned down like 3 people in that time and didn't even think to offer a waiting list. I've had maybe 5 emails from CL, 5 calls, 3 interviews and none worked out.
I'm definitely going to try and see where I can advertise. A lot of places don't want to because of the liability of the association and if God-forbid I'm some nutjob and the parents get mad at the business who allowed me to advertise. Lame. Our Ped's office used to but then changed to another group and they don't allow 3rd party advertising like he used to when he was independent. It would have been a great place to advertise too. Same with the Ped dentist. I don't think any city/gov't offices will let you either around here.
TwinKristi 03:39 PM 01-05-2014
I also offered a free week of care (applied after 4th week of care) and thought about a finders fee for friends/family of like $50, same thing as above, after 4th week of care. I have to join the mothers club if I want to advertise but 2 friends have put my info there and I got a drop-in out of it. If I join it's like $36/yr plus I have to volunteer so many hours a year. I did it before but for Tupperware & dh's business. I may just bite the bullet and join. :-/
cheerfuldom 06:05 PM 01-05-2014
have you thought about adding pictures to your CL ad?
sharlan 06:22 PM 01-05-2014
I'm in the same boat. My area is so saturated with home daycares that nobody is at capacity. I've spent $$$ on ads everywhere I could think of with no luck. I even advertised on a local restaurant's menus and didn't receive a single call in 14 mos.

I advertise daily on CL and might receive one call a month. I'm sure part of them are other providers wanting to know my rates.
CrackerJacks 08:05 PM 01-05-2014
My local mothers club allows non members to pay for monthly ad space in their newsletters. Does yours have that?
TwinKristi 11:08 PM 01-05-2014
^^ yes actually it does! I should find out how much it is because that may be a better idea! There's another local magazine but it's all over the county and really only need local ads.
The reason I haven't added pics is that I don't want to post pics of the kids and I don't want to blur them out because that's weird. I tried to find fun pics from the back or something but can't really find the right ones.
MarinaVanessa 12:15 AM 01-06-2014
I agree that perhaps you should try making a website. You don't need anything fancy or expensive. Just something fun and informative. There are several website hosting sites that offer a free website with a limited number of pages but since I use webs.com ill talk about them. Webs.com gives you 10 free pages to work with and you can do a lot with that. That's more than enough to have a home page, info about you and your daycare, an enrollment page, a contact page etc. Their website designing program is super easy to use and is drag and drop. It's totally user friendly.

Most people nowadays use the internet to find about services and products. They like knowing as much information beforehand as they can get before going out and trying or buying something. A website link in your CL ads can take them to your website and give more information about your program and draw people in.

Your ad is nice, and don't take this in a critical way but I read tons of ads like it on CL all of the time. I would try something to make your ad stand out like making a flyer on your word program that was colorful and eye catching that gave more info like hours, benefits/features and gave info about what was different about your daycare. As in, why should people pick your daycare? What makes you better than the next ad? I would then save your flyer as an image and include it in your CL ad. Make your dream flyer and instead of printing it, post it for free on CL.

I'd also add photos. If you don't want to add pictures of the daycare kids faces then don't. Play a game, invite the children to play with different toys and have them participate in appealing activities that you normally do and take a photo from the back or zoom in to crop out their faces and focus on their hands and the activity. Or you can also take photos of your space and toys to show something positive about it such as educational. People are very visual and photos get our attention.

Here is an example of my CL ad (back in November) and my website. Keep in mind that my website started off with 10 free pages and for many years that was enough for me. I didn't upgrade to a paid subscription until a couple of years ago because FREE worked for me for that long.

My Craigslist Ad
My Website
mountainside13 11:35 AM 01-06-2014
I had the perfect ad out and was doing everything you described! I wasn't getting any calls or emails. So I decided to try and put out a very general ad that I had an opening. It said: 1 opening available x/xx/xx for infant to 5 years old. High quality care at an affordable rate.

I got 7 emails out of that ad and 0 on my great ad. 5 interviews later and I filled the spot in a week. I would give it a try. I don't know why the general ad worked better but I did.
Cat Herder 11:50 AM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I had the perfect ad out and was doing everything you described! I wasn't getting any calls or emails. So I decided to try and put out a very general ad that I had an opening. It said: 1 opening available x/xx/xx for infant to 5 years old. High quality care at an affordable rate.

I got 7 emails out of that ad and 0 on my great ad. 5 interviews later and I filled the spot in a week. I would give it a try. I don't know why the general ad worked better but I did.
Fewer words = Easier to Read and less intimidating for newer parents.

I also add my rates in to prescreen calls.

Same applies to Handbooks and Contracts
TwinKristi 01:51 PM 01-06-2014
Well that's definitely a quicker method than the website, I definitely want to make one though! I just figured it was a waste of money. What about photo releases from parents on pics? I only have 2 boys here now and I know both would probably be ok but I have tons of pics of the other 2-3 who've left. :-/
TwinKristi 01:59 PM 01-06-2014
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/kid/4275449558.html

My pics didn't come up, not sure if that's mobile issue or what? I was going to put pics of some crafts we did and our learning wall.
Leigh 02:01 PM 01-06-2014
I don't know about costs where you live, but I can get a month's worth of radio spots for as little as $125, and they WORK. You could call a station that young parents listen to (AC, new country, rock) and inquire.
TwinKristi 02:04 PM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I don't know about costs where you live, but I can get a month's worth of radio spots for as little as $125, and they WORK. You could call a station that young parents listen to (AC, new country, rock) and inquire.
Radio is super expensive here actually, we looked into it for dh's business! It also targets a much larger area than I need to advertise in. Thanks for the suggestion though!
melilley 03:07 PM 01-06-2014
Yes, I agree with MV, she told me about webs and I love it! It is free for so may pages (10 pages?) and they have some cute backgrounds! I am basically computer illiterate and made mine in one day...lol If you don't pay, you do have to have webs in your domain name (if that's what it's called), but it doesn't bother me.

As for photo's of the kids, I include a photo release when they enroll. All of my parent's said that I could use their kid's photos for anything, but I still try not to show faces on the website or if I put an ad up.
TaylorTots 04:58 PM 01-06-2014
I found most of my clients through a local Facebook moms and daycare providers group. It was actually really nice to "screen" my clients before even messaging them. I have really never had to put out very many advertisements but in home care is in high demand where I am. Do you have anything similar on a social media network like Facebook?
TwinKristi 05:01 PM 01-06-2014
Yes I do belong to a couple groups on Facebook, one for providers and one for parents but has listings for different businesses. I also put a little something on my FB and shared my info from the group listing I have. I even offered a $50 Visa GC for referrals after 4wks.

I'm going to have my dh help me on the website later.
TwinKristi 06:31 PM 01-06-2014
Started the website... I feel kinda lame because I don't get it at all! I'm pretty internet savvy but not website savvy. My dh said he'll look and my 16yr old said he can help.
ashleyh 08:07 PM 01-06-2014
I would suggest Facebook swap groups, or something in your area on Facebook. FB has been the number 1 way to reach potential clients for me either through referrals from current clients, past clients, and showing future clients how our day care runs through pictures on our Facebook page. Unless parents can see how their child can fit in by doing things they may not be sold completely so the pictures help.

I would also suggest friending some other providers in your area if you haven't already to refer back and forth to.
TwinKristi 09:07 PM 01-06-2014
Thank you, I do have Facebook and have been spreading the word out there. I am on several swap sites and discussion groups. I should work on a Facebook page as well as the website!
CrackerJacks 09:13 PM 01-06-2014
Just sent you a PM with some suggestions
_Dana_ 10:29 PM 01-06-2014
Here is what I did when we moved to our small community:

1) I started networking like crazy by going to all the public events offered by the Chamber of Commerce(sp?). I introduce myself, included the fact that I was a family home child care provider, show off picts of my facility on my phone and hand them a card.

2.) I created a FB page for my child care. I liked the Chamber of Commerce page and all the local businesses with using the business page to increase exposure. I will occasionally make comments on other business' pages and repost important community information or family events onto my business page.

3.) I also found out the days and times that the coffee shops and donut places would have the older ladies and gentlemen come in for socializing with one another....I would just happen to be in there with my cute sons (3 and 7) at those times and strike up a convo. They fawn over my kids. My kids eat up the attention. I introduce myself, show off pics on my phone and hand them all a card. While their children are all grown and gone, most have grandchildren or know people who have children. I've gotten my best client this way. Her grandmother passed my card to her and told her that she HAD to check me out. The owner of the main coffee shop I go to keeps a stash of business cards on her counter and directs people to them as well.

4.) I'm on a first name basis with the librarian in the children's section at the local library and let her know when I have openings. She passes on the info to parents. She has a stack of cards in her desk to pass on.

I've gotten most of my referrals using these methods and continue to get a lot of calls from the connections I made early on. I feel that I've done pretty well for only have just moved to the state 6 months ago and been open for 4 months. Getting to know the people at the Chamber of Commerce opened the door for me. The coffee ladies have become my cheerleaders. And FB helps to seal the deal for me. By the time I interview, most parents already know they want to join. It is just a matter of if I can fill their needs and they can fill mine.

Posting on Craigslist and in the local newspaper didn't do anything for me.
TwinKristi 04:49 PM 01-08-2014
Update: Yesterday I got a call about a 3 month old, today I got an email about another 3 month old and a call about a 20 month old!! Woohoo!! 2 are interviewing tomorrow and I'm going to call the 2nd baby mama back shortly to schedule an interview. when it rains it pours!!
melilley 05:15 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Update: Yesterday I got a call about a 3 month old, today I got an email about another 3 month old and a call about a 20 month old!! Woohoo!! 2 are interviewing tomorrow and I'm going to call the 2nd baby mama back shortly to schedule an interview. when it rains it pours!!
That seems to ALWAYS happen...at least to me..lol
TwinKristi 06:48 PM 01-08-2014
All 3 are tomorrow now! Yay!
mountainside13 07:23 PM 01-08-2014
All 3 are tomorrow now! Yay!

childcaremom 05:00 AM 01-09-2014
Good luck with your interviews!

I have a photo release for my families, as well, but I am uncomfortable using pictures of kids in ads. I will use pictures of crafts and activities we have done, as well as a few occassional ones of our set up. I think pictures 'sell' the service as much as your description does.
TwinKristi 09:31 AM 01-09-2014
Thank you! I found a generic photo release I will use and I found a few pics I could use on my phone and I'm sure if I go back to my other photo files from before June (when I upgraded my phone) I could find many more. I have some of crafts and outdoor stuff we did and pics at the park where you can't see faces. Hoping I don't need to put much more into this right now, I had another friend inquire for her and her friend, both have infants. So 5 infant inquiries and only 2 spots! Let's hope I get some action here!
JLH 02:50 PM 01-10-2014
I have a big sign in front of my home for people to see. I've also had a lot of success with advertising on Facebook groups and I made a Facebook page with all of our info on it and I regularly post pics on it and update it with the fun things we're doing. I've had the page up for a year and a half and have 65 "likes". I also offer to waive the registration fee if you enroll by XXX date, in my ads, or I'll offer the first week of care free if you enroll by XXX date. I haven't had a lot of luck with craigslist since becoming licensed. Better luck with Facebook. When I lived out in the country I made my own signs out of poster board and mailbox letter decals and wrote daycare openings with my phone number on them. I put them up on telephone poles around town. Had pretty good success with that. Good luck!
daycare 02:53 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by JLH:
I have a big sign in front of my home for people to see. I've also had a lot of success with advertising on Facebook groups and I made a Facebook page with all of our info on it and I regularly post pics on it and update it with the fun things we're doing. I've had the page up for a year and a half and have 65 "likes". I also offer to waive the registration fee if you enroll by XXX date, in my ads, or I'll offer the first week of care free if you enroll by XXX date. I haven't had a lot of luck with craigslist since becoming licensed. Better luck with Facebook. When I lived out in the country I made my own signs out of poster board and mailbox letter decals and wrote daycare openings with my phone number on them. I put them up on telephone poles around town. Had pretty good success with that. Good luck!
can I ask you a question about facebook.

I tired to make one and I could not do it successfully the way that I wanted. I wanted to be able to have one that did not allow for people to leave comments. I was worried that some random person could just drop in and leave a rude comment or post something bad. I tired to google ways to do it, tried everything under the son, but nothing worked and I ended up deleting it.

do people leave comments on your page? Parents?

I have some parents that are pretty caddy (sorry, not trying to name call, but they are) I can see them saying something rude about another child or such. So this was one of the other reasons why.
Heidi 03:01 PM 01-10-2014
I have a webs.com website, too. I've gotten a number of calls from it. Maybe because I am the only daycare in the county that even has a website, though.

I also signed up with Yellowpages.com, and have gotten calls from that.

FB...posting pics of the kids doing fun things (with parental permission) and "tagging" the kids with their parent's names. Parents then pass the pictures on to show their friends and Grandma. I don't know that I've gotten any actual calls that way, but it helps build a reputation.
Heidi 03:02 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
can I ask you a question about facebook.

I tired to make one and I could not do it successfully the way that I wanted. I wanted to be able to have one that did not allow for people to leave comments. I was worried that some random person could just drop in and leave a rude comment or post something bad. I tired to google ways to do it, tried everything under the son, but nothing worked and I ended up deleting it.

do people leave comments on your page? Parents?

I have some parents that are pretty caddy (sorry, not trying to name call, but they are) I can see them saying something rude about another child or such. So this was one of the other reasons why.
Seriously? That would get a parent removed from my FB friends pretty quick. Not okay, and they would get an earful about it to boot.
JLH 06:46 PM 01-10-2014
I don't think it's an option to not allow comments from people. I have only gotten one rude comment and I deleted it and blocked the unknown person from being able to access the page. I don't allow parents to use names, I don't use names, and I don't tag people for security purposes. I did, however, recently find that I had a 3 out of 5 star rating on there (probably from competition rating me poorly or from the 1 or 2 families that we've let go of for various problems) so I changed the page classification from being a business page to a community page and now the star rating system went away. I'm not that knowledgeable about computers so it really isn't difficult. The hardest part about it is that I have to try to always leave my facebook page up so I can keep a close eye on my notifications to catch any problems that may happen quickly. Good luck!
Rafael 02:27 PM 01-12-2014
You can delete the comments;
You can set on the settings under privacy to have the comments(posts on the page) hidden from the page.
Whatever you post, people can comment on it, but you can delete it.
coolconfidentme 04:00 AM 01-13-2014
Have you Googled yourself?
I have my daycare listed with Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc for free. My daycare now comes up on searches for my city after I signed up. Since doing this, it's where I get most of my calls.
TwinKristi 05:59 PM 01-16-2014
I will need to look into that ^^!! I have a Yelp page and just made a Facebook page today.

So now that I have over 40 likes it says I can promote my page? What does this mean?

And an update on the interviews, one call back to say they found someone a little closer to home on one of the young babies, no call back from the other 2. I know one was state funded and she started school on Mon and had an appt on Tues with her worker and would get back to me so there's still hope there. That guy would be a PERFECT fit! Same size as the other boys! The other was a baby girl and I really thought that would work out. Mom said she'd call me the next day but called people off my referrals and never called me back. 2 friends have also inquired about care for their kids but we'll see. <sigh>
_Dana_ 07:05 PM 01-16-2014

So now that I have over 40 likes it says I can promote my page? What does this mean? >
On FB, do you see those ads to the right of your timeline? You might occasionally see them in your timeline too. That is what FB means by "promoting" your page.

I remember reading an article a while back that discussed using social media for marketing. Ultimately, it doesn't come down to your page's fans. You are targeting your fans' friends. You want your fans to comment and share the content on your site. When they do, their friends and family see your business. In my opinion, this will do more than any CL or newspaper ad because it establishes a level of trust. I don't think "promoting" the page is necessary if you are able to engage your fans.
TwinKristi 07:36 PM 01-16-2014
Perfect! Thanks! And yes, I'm already seeing people I don't know so it's friends of friends.
Tags:simplify
Reply Up