Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to Expect
Unregistered 10:55 AM 05-11-2015
What to should I expect for my pre-licensing inspection in California? will he/she go upstairs even though its an off limit area? what all do they check for and how long does the inspection normally last? I would really like to have everything in order and pass the first time around. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thriftylady 11:41 AM 05-11-2015
I can't speak for California, because I know they do things differently. But in Kansas, the inspection was of my full house. Not sure why, because the kids were never upstairs or in the basement, but they inspected those areas. Perhaps because they thought what if I allowed the kids there? I would double check all of your regs and make sure you are in compliance. Have copies ready of all your paperwork, in case they are missing something you sent in (happens all the time it seems). Have your daycare areas set up and ready to go, they will want to see where they kids will be, how it will look and such.

Hopefully someone from California will chime in soon!
sharlan 12:03 PM 05-11-2015
Yes, your first inspection is of the entire house and yards. My analyst went into all of the off-limit rooms, but didn't open any drawers, etc. He did open every single drawer and cabinet in the allowed areas.

Make sure you have your paper work, fire extinguisher/s, stairs blocked (if you have any).
sharlan 12:10 PM 05-11-2015
Make sure all medications, batteries, cleaning supplies are up and out of reach.

I have the magnetic locks on my kitchen cabinets, so I am allowed to keep my cleaning supplies under my kitchen sink.

Make sure there is nothing in your medicine cabinets that says "keep out of the reach of children", including toothpaste. Cleaning supplies cannot be kept in your bathroom unless you have the magnetic locks. (I love them.) Hand soaps cannot say "keep out of the reach of children" either. Use a brand that doesn't say that.

Also, make sure that there is nothing in your bathtub/shower that is accessible. I put refrigerator locks on my downstairs glass shower doors so my niece is allowed to keep her shampoo, etc in her shower.
sharlan 12:13 PM 05-11-2015
Also, don't panic or stress too much. This is your one chance to make sure everything is right. You won't get written up, just told to correct.
AmyLeigh 12:19 PM 05-11-2015
I don't remember my analyst going into the off limit rooms. I think she may have just taken a peek, but that is it.
The pre licensing inspection process for me was easy, even with the corrections I had to make. After they were done, she just came right out to verify and then the license was done.
Unregistered 12:22 PM 05-11-2015
Thank you ladies I really appreciate it
BrooklynM 10:14 PM 05-11-2015
What county are you in? A lot of times there are only a few inspectors in each county and each inspector is so different!
Reply Up