Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Cold
mamamanda 07:07 AM 05-21-2018
Dcg 9 mo has a head cold. Seems ok other than stuffy nose & occasional cough. But she is breathing through her mouth so she can't suck on her paci which means she isn't sleeping. Dcm said she only napped 40 minutes yesterday but was pleasant all day. She cried b/c she was tired but fought nap all morning. Would fall asleep in my arms but wake upon laying down & then scream.

She usually lays down on her own for me with the paci but it's like she can't suck on it so she screams while laying down. She finally got a 40 min nap, but usually sleeps an hour & a half in the morning. Not looking forward to afternoon nap. Any tips/suggestions? I'm guessing I'm just going to have to wait out the cold, right? Just hoping there's some magical solution. Haha
Snowmom 07:20 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Dcg 9 mo has a head cold. Seems ok other than stuffy nose & occasional cough. But she is breathing through her mouth so she can't suck on her paci which means she isn't sleeping. Dcm said she only napped 40 minutes yesterday but was pleasant all day. She cried b/c she was tired but fought nap all morning. Would fall asleep in my arms but wake upon laying down & then scream.

She usually lays down on her own for me with the paci but it's like she can't suck on it so she screams while laying down. She finally got a 40 min nap, but usually sleeps an hour & a half in the morning. Not looking forward to afternoon nap. Any tips/suggestions? I'm guessing I'm just going to have to wait out the cold, right? Just hoping there's some magical solution. Haha
The only suggestion I have, is that she's too sick to attend daycare.

Upper respiratory illnesses always scare the crap out of me with infants. When they have that junk, it legally requires more of my time to monitor them. Add a cranky & needy infant who screams, is over tired and demanding even more of my time (at the sacrifice of other children in my care). No thanks. That's a mom and dad responsibility, not mine.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
The only suggestion I have, is that she's too sick to attend daycare.

Upper respiratory illnesses always scare the crap out of me with infants. When they have that junk, it legally requires more of my time to monitor them. Add a cranky & needy infant who screams, is over tired and demanding even more of my time (at the sacrifice of other children in my care). No thanks. That's a mom and dad responsibility, not mine.
I agree! I understand and sympathize with parents when their child is under the weather. Especially when its just a cold but when it impacts my day and causes disruption for others, I simply cant keep them.

Parents need to have reliable back up for those times in which the provider isn't able to have the child in care and when parent isn't able to take time off work.
mamamanda 10:09 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree! I understand and sympathize with parents when their child is under the weather. Especially when its just a cold but when it impacts my day and causes disruption for others, I simply cant keep them.

Parents need to have reliable back up for those times in which the provider isn't able to have the child in care and when parent isn't able to take time off work.
Just out of curiosity...what do most parents do for back up care? This is an ongoing issue for us. The parents neither one have grandparents close or available. It is pretty much mom, dad, & me. And this baby gets sick a lot. Literally, she has been sick w/something respiratory every 3-4 weeks since Christmas time. No I'm not exaggerating. This is the first time she's been too stuffy to take the paci though. It's more in her nose this time.

I've talked to Mom several times about back up care though & she has no clue how to arrange that since they don't have family close. The dad works 50-60 hours a week & mom works 45. Obviously they will lose their job if they have to take a week off every month which isn't my responsibility, but I honestly don't know what to suggest for them. They can't have another daycare on back up as she wouldn't be allowed there sick either.
Snowmom 11:02 AM 05-21-2018
Just out of curiosity...what do most parents do for back up care? This is an ongoing issue for us. The parents neither one have grandparents close or available. It is pretty much mom, dad, & me. And this baby gets sick a lot. Literally, she has been sick w/something respiratory every 3-4 weeks since Christmas time. No I'm not exaggerating. This is the first time she's been too stuffy to take the paci though. It's more in her nose this time.

I've talked to Mom several times about back up care though & she has no clue how to arrange that since they don't have family close. The dad works 50-60 hours a week & mom works 45. Obviously they will lose their job if they have to take a week off every month which isn't my responsibility, but I honestly don't know what to suggest for them. They can't have another daycare on back up as she wouldn't be allowed there sick either.
You're right. It isn't your responsibility. Finding a backup is their responsibility. Friends, family or maybe a SAHM who advertises sick care is really the only option for sick kids. There are very few drop in daycares that allow sick children, for obvious reasons.

My licensor, who used to do daycare, once told me:
The best thing you can do for yourself in this business is get into the mindset that YOU are choosing families as much as they are choosing you. When she interviewed, she used to ask families to name 3 back ups the family had. She'd write them down in their file. She wouldn't take ANY family who couldn't name 3.

Ultimately, it is their job as a parent to care for their sick child. It's in the job description.
Do we feel bad their infant is always sick, sure. That happens a lot with new daycare kids. Their immunity will grow.
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
You're right. It isn't your responsibility. Finding a backup is their responsibility. Friends, family or maybe a SAHM who advertises sick care is really the only option for sick kids. There are very few drop in daycares that allow sick children, for obvious reasons.

My licensor, who used to do daycare, once told me:
The best thing you can do for yourself in this business is get into the mindset that YOU are choosing families as much as they are choosing you. When she interviewed, she used to ask families to name 3 back ups the family had. She'd write them down in their file. She wouldn't take ANY family who couldn't name 3.

Ultimately, it is their job as a parent to care for their sick child. It's in the job description.
Do we feel bad their infant is always sick, sure. That happens a lot with new daycare kids. Their immunity will grow.

If someone is new (less than 1-3 months) to a community, I understand but beyond that I expect them to have covered their bases whether it be extended family, a neighbor or a co-worker or even a college student (summer time).

What if parent had an emergency themselves... are they expecting you to cover that for them?

I have a client that has no family in town but has a retired parent/grandparent that lives in the neighboring town that will drive over and help when necessary. It takes some juggling on the parents part but it’s their situation not mine so they make it work.
hwichlaz 12:09 PM 05-21-2018
If you are keeping her, can you elevate the head of her bed and point a humidifier in her direction?
Baby Beluga 01:18 PM 05-21-2018
Are you open to giving medication with parents approval?

With both of my children I used tiny cold tabs until they were old enough for regular medication. They help a TON.

Also, if she is getting sick frequently I would recommend an infant supplement. Personally I start with regular vitamin C. Her body may just need extra support right now.

Tiny cold tabs: http://www.hylands.com/products/hyla...y-cold-tablets

Vitamin C: http://www.hylands.com/products/hyla...amin-c-tablets (I believe the C tabs are approved for children ages 6 months+)

Also, baby vicks on her feet with socks and chest (do not use regular) will help.
mamamanda 02:03 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
If you are keeping her, can you elevate the head of her bed and point a humidifier in her direction?
Thank you. Yes her bed is elevated but I hadn't thought of a humidifier. Not sure why that hadn't crossed my mind. Thank you for the suggestion!
mamamanda 02:04 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Are you open to giving medication with parents approval?

With both of my children I used tiny cold tabs until they were old enough for regular medication. They help a TON.

Also, if she is getting sick frequently I would recommend an infant supplement. Personally I start with regular vitamin C. Her body may just need extra support right now.

Tiny cold tabs: http://www.hylands.com/products/hyla...y-cold-tablets

Vitamin C: http://www.hylands.com/products/hyla...amin-c-tablets (I believe the C tabs are approved for children ages 6 months+)

Also, baby vicks on her feet with socks and chest (do not use regular) will help.
I do give Tylenol with parental consent. I would be open to vitamin c. Thanks for the suggestion!
Ariana 05:37 AM 05-22-2018
I would tell mom to use a nose sucker and get all of that snot out. It is the only thing that works. She can do it right before baby gets dropped off.

In addition to what baby beluga suggested I would give a baby probiotic like BioGaia.
Luvnmykidz 07:01 AM 05-22-2018
Definitely recommend a probiotic and vitamin C as well as saline drops and a nose sucker/nasal syringe. Humidifiers help as well as an oil diffuser if you’re open to and allowed to use it. I use eucalyptus, lavender, frankincense and sometimes peppermint oils.
Baby Beluga 07:57 AM 05-22-2018
Made me think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Satqf2xe0pA
mamamanda 09:37 AM 05-22-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Made me think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Satqf2xe0pA
That was seriously so disgusting & so cool all at the same time.
mamamanda 09:41 AM 05-22-2018
She is on a probiotic daily, but I will definitely recommend the vitamin c to mom. I'm adding a humidifier beside her crib today as well. I am nervous to diffuse essential oils around her b/c she is being treated for asthma though they don't give an official diagnosis before 2. I would worry about that. I have used some essential oils in roller ball form with her in the past. And I know her mom uses baby Vicks on her at home so I will ask if I may use it here as well. She definitely seems better today than yesterday so hopefully this round will be a short one. Thanks for all the wonderful tips!
Baby Beluga 10:11 AM 05-22-2018
That was seriously so disgusting & so cool all at the same time.
Right?! I tried it once on DS - it's disgusting, but it does work.
Tags:infant - cold, infant illness
Reply Up