Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cups
CountryRoads 07:37 AM 11-06-2020
I usually give the older kids cups without a lid, but lately they keep getting knocked over and I'm cleaning up milk off the table and floor almost daily.

No more open cups. What do you use for older kids?
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 11-06-2020
I use ONLY 5 oz cups. No lid for ALL ages 1 yr old and up.
I've never used a lid for a cup.

Can I ask what are they doing that they are spilling?

For my littles, I fill the cup half way and then refill when needed but the kids are also expected to sit and use good table manners so there is no messing around at the table ever. I also have kid sized tables and chairs so that might make the difference.
Cat Herder 07:53 AM 11-06-2020
I use cups with lids and sports bottles.

I gave back the table manner battle to parents. I am over it. Meals are stress free for everyone here. Even the local elementary school has them bring in sports bottles, now.

Having open cups gives you points with QRIS, but those points did not come with a check to cover my personal time and effort. Meh.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 11-06-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I use cups with lids and sports bottles.

I gave back the table manner battle to parents. I am over it. Meals are stress free for everyone here. Even the local elementary school has them bring in sports bottles, now.

Having open cups gives you points with QRIS, but those points did not come with a check to cover my personal time and effort. Meh.
lol! Yes, QRIS loves that we use open cups but for me it's just something I've always believed in. When dripless sippy cups became a thing I died a little. haha! I hate them. Sports bottles I get. IF participating in sports. lol!

Eating and drinking have always been something done at the table only. Even for me, if I am thirst I will get a glass of water and sit. It would kill me to stand at the kitchen counter and just drink.

I do agree though that if my kiddos were horrible with table manners and it was a battle, I would retreat and let parents deal with it but I am lucky as my kiddos all "get it" quickly and easily so it's just something I've always done/expected and so far so good.
e.j. 08:29 AM 11-06-2020
I use these for older kids: https://www.walmart.com/ip/munchkin-...7c6ea38269ef55

They still leak a little when they're dropped but it's better than having an entire cup full of milk spill.
Cat Herder 08:35 AM 11-06-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
lol! Yes, QRIS loves that we use open cups but for me it's just something I've always believed in. When dripless sippy cups became a thing I died a little. haha! I hate them. Sports bottles I get. IF participating in sports. lol!

Eating and drinking have always been something done at the table only. Even for me, if I am thirst I will get a glass of water and sit. It would kill me to stand at the kitchen counter and just drink.

I do agree though that if my kiddos were horrible with table manners and it was a battle, I would retreat and let parents deal with it but I am lucky as my kiddos all "get it" quickly and easily so it's just something I've always done/expected and so far so good.
Several of my clients waited until their kids were all 2-3 years old (all been here since birth) to start giving pouch food and pacifiers. I give up. I am tapping out.

The holidays are coming, it is only going to get worse.

I will keep them fed, watered, clean and occupied until kindergarten.
Gemma 08:36 AM 11-06-2020
I use these sippy cups from about 10-18mos

https://www.amazon.com/First-Essenti...b-8a79de2d236f

I serve water in regular cups, so when I switch the kids have had plenty of practice
I'm big on table manners so spills still happen but very very seldom
Rockgirl 09:17 AM 11-06-2020
My under-twos use take & toss cups—the ones with a regular straw, and I buy disposable straws. I’ve been running the cups through the dishwasher for years. Twos and up use an open cup. I do like BC....they need to sit nicely at the table. If they spill, I hand them paper towels. Of course it requires a thorough cleanup from me after the meal, but they need to learn to take responsibility, even when it’s a accident. That’s life.
284878 10:15 AM 11-06-2020
I use take and toss sip cups. I have one 3 year old that still drops his cup. He does it randomly when I am helping others. Anyone else over two have a open cup.

I have considered getting the take and toss straw cups but I didn't want to deal with the straw.

My son has the 360 someone linked for home use (after dc hours). They are nice, especially for the car or if he doesn't finish I just pop it in the fridge.
Kajada 12:24 PM 11-06-2020
I use open cups at the table unless a young child truly isn't ready for them yet - a 12-month-old, for example, and I've confirmed with my own eyes that they aren't there yet. They use sippy cups (no straws - the basic cup with a lid and spout, so they can practice the motion) and we practice regularly with an open cup in play and at the table until they've got the hang of it.

For water any other time during the day, it's open cups on the counter (sippy cups for those still practicing), and sports/whatever bottles outside.

Also, I only serve water unless milk is requested and supplied by the parents, so spills are easy to clean. Still haven't had a single request for milk!
Sunshine69 07:38 AM 11-07-2020
I use sippy’s until they’re mature enough to pay attention and not spill, usually pre-k.

I have a child who is anaphylactic to cow’s milk. Even skin contact will cause hives. If someone touches cheese and touches the child without washing their hands first, the child will develop hives. I’m not risking someone spilling on them every day.

Some children are just not considerate or responsible enough to drink out of an open cup without constantly spilling it.

I’ve even had a 7 year old school age I had to give sippys to. Child could just not sit still and pay enough attention to get through a meal without spilling.
flying_babyb 06:28 PM 11-07-2020
we use those kids cups from ikea, but with a single splash of milk in them. Our kids are all 2s and do pretty good, even if they dont, its just a little milk. They then know they must get up, get a towel and clean it up, cause "I aint your mother, and I aint your maid"
CeriBear 08:10 AM 11-08-2020
My kids are 3.5 to 4 and I don’t use lids. I use regular styrofoam cups and fill it about 3/4 full. They do a pretty good job without spilling. We have an occasional ooops but usually the ones who spill are messing around. My rules is that if you spill your milk (water, juice, lemonade etc.) you clean up your own mess. It’s called learning responsibility.
coloradoprovider 12:07 PM 11-08-2020
I use the 360 cups for milk and open cups for water. When milk is spilled it often ends up in someone's lap and when milk dries, it's crusty and stinks! If water is spilled it's no big deal to have a child mop up with a clean cloth (I keep their plates, bowls and a small crate of small washcloths in a drawer next to their table) so a child can grab their own cloth to clean. Missed spots will evaporate and not leave sticky residue. My clean up is easier and they still get practice with open cups. They also learn to clean up their own messes.
Tags:cups, mopping - how often, stress management
Reply Up