Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do I Feel Badly?
Breezy 09:51 AM 04-11-2012
I set up the super gate in a hexagon shape off of the play area for daycare baby today. It is the perfect place for her to try out her new mobility and to play away from my DS who can walk now. So why do I feel guilty I have her penned up? I am worried her parents will be upset if they saw her in it! She is loving it and she finally isnt crying and keeps her away from the big toys. Is it ok that shes in there?
Zoe 09:55 AM 04-11-2012
yes it is. You are giving her free room to roam with no one stepping on her. That's a GOOD thing. Please don't feel guilty.
cheerfuldom 09:58 AM 04-11-2012
Of course it is okay!
Breezy 10:01 AM 04-11-2012
Thanks! I spoke too soon, shes screaming to be held now but she needs to learn to play!! And her being ssfe from my toddler who is throwing his cheerios on the floor right now is best!
SunshineMama 10:26 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I set up the super gate in a hexagon shape off of the play area for daycare baby today. It is the perfect place for her to try out her new mobility and to play away from my DS who can walk now. So why do I feel guilty I have her penned up? I am worried her parents will be upset if they saw her in it! She is loving it and she finally isnt crying and keeps her away from the big toys. Is it ok that shes in there?
So glad you posted this! I have done the same thing for my dcb because he isnt walking yet either and I have 5 bigger kids who could run over him. I also had the feeling that the parents would probably not like it and felt bad, but honestly I cany leave a crawler when doing potty runs, diaper changes, etc. It is too dangerous for him and I can't handle the stress of having to follow him all over the playroom all day to protect him.

I feel better that you are doing this too- I have the huge Superyard hex shape too.
3girls 10:44 AM 04-11-2012
We are required to have those sort of pens for babies in my area! Keeps them safe from rambunctious older children, like mine
sharlan 10:50 AM 04-11-2012
I set one up for my 5 mo baby. (The state of CA feels the safest place for an infant is on the floor with older kids running around.)

Mom was appreciative that the little one would be protected when not being held.

It also keeps the baby toys out of the older kids grubby hands.

My dd commented that is was like putting her in a cage.

My dh complains because it interfers with the tv remote.
Heidi 12:05 PM 04-11-2012
Isn't it wierd that most people keep their children in swings or carriers when not held, and no one would even think that's wierd..except those of us who think they are MUCH better off on the floor in their own safe area?

I would just make it look as "fun" as possible to adults (maybe a low baby mirror, and some toys attached to one side), and call it something cute, like "Hallie's Hideout", "Nicki's Nook", or "the baby zone". If you have other "centers" that are labeled, you could label that area too. Even if you don't, how about making a cute label and hanging it from the ceiling over that area?
bice99 12:26 PM 04-11-2012
I talk to parents at initial interviews and explain all of the safety reasons for using mine. Last year, I had one on my wood floors and DCG learned to walk by pushing against the short side (was set up as a rectangle). She actually pushed it into the bathroom, which requires a 90 degree turn. All of the parents appreciate that I use one when I am not on the floor beside their child. How else would I get lunch on the table?
Breezy 12:29 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Isn't it wierd that most people keep their children in swings or carriers when not held, and no one would even think that's wierd..except those of us who think they are MUCH better off on the floor in their own safe area?

I would just make it look as "fun" as possible to adults (maybe a low baby mirror, and some toys attached to one side), and call it something cute, like "Hallie's Hideout", "Nicki's Nook", or "the baby zone". If you have other "centers" that are labeled, you could label that area too. Even if you don't, how about making a cute label and hanging it from the ceiling over that area?
Ooo I like. The "H" one especially because her name is something that starts with an H
daycare 12:41 PM 04-11-2012
Communication up front is key. Talk to the parents before you do something different, then you won't feel bad about it.

Example- I had a 2.5 yr old who all of a sudden refused to stay seated during meal times. I talked to mom and dad about it and told them that I was going to put DCK back in a high chair or booster with straps until they could show me that they were able to stay seated during meals.
Reply Up