Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Have a Registered in-Home Daycare in Texas??
ashley9427 05:16 PM 04-24-2012
I am in the process of getting registered, and i had a few questions. i'm waiting on someone to come inspect my house so that they can issue my certificate to be fully registered! yay! lol.. what are they going to be looking for during inspection? any comments or info would help alot! im trying to have everything perfect so when she comes to inspect, she wont find a bunch of problems and have to come back to make sure that i corrected them. =)
3girls 10:57 AM 04-25-2012
Here are the regulations:

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/document..._747_Homes.pdf

I've been researching Texas home daycare myself It sounds to me like you can't really go leave the home without an extra adult, anyone in Texas want to weigh in on that?

Good luck!
Texasjeepgirl 06:21 PM 04-25-2012
I am in TEXAS...and I was Registered from 1992 to 2000... then I became LICENSED...

ashley9427 07:56 AM 04-26-2012
how much harder was is to get licensed?? vs. registered?
Texasjeepgirl 12:11 PM 04-26-2012
Well.. honestly the standards have changed in the last few years since I initially became LICENSED...
I wouldn't say it's 'hard' either way...it's all just a process..
I assume you have gone to the Child Care Licensing Website and Read the Standards?
You're lucky.. When they revised them in 2003 they made them QUESTION/ANSWER form ... so much easier to read and comprehend...

When I first became REGISTERED in 1992...the Minimum Standard book looked like it had been written in a law office...or court system..
so difficult to read.. so difficult to find info and then comprehend it... annoying..

You need to either sit at your computer and read..OR..print out a complete copy...and just read it.. it will help you answer so many questions.. it's actually set up to answer questions specifically for REGISTERED homes...and then seperately if different for LICENSED homes..

In 2000.. when I became LICENSED...
AT that time REGISTERED homes were NOT required to have gas line inspections... Health inspection from City.. or Fire Inspection...
when I decided to become LICENSED.. all three of those things were required for a LICENSED HOME...
In 2003 they did away with those requirements for LICENSED homes...which personally I think that is D ~ U ~ M ~ B but no one asked my opinion.. lol..
That is one of the things that I would use to describe my daycare home if a potential client specifically asked me what the difference between LICENSED and REGISTERED was..
I can tell you this... there are educational requirements in order to QUALIFY to be a DIRECTOR of your LICENSED home.. so find the list of requirements in the MINIMUM STANDARD book.. if you don't qualify at this time...then that would be the main difference .. you would have to take classes... training.. clock hours.. in order to be a DIRECTOR of your LICENSED HOME...

I was 'grandfathered in' when when they made the change in 2003.. then I had a certain number of years to comply.. which I did....

Do you have a specific question about any particular issue you are concerned about??..

small_steps 12:26 PM 04-26-2012
I too am in Texas...also licensed but could probably help answer some of your questions.
Yes...minimum standards will answer most of your questions.
I believe you have to have a carbon monoxide detector (one), but a fire alarm in every room that you use for daycare. You also have to have a fire extinguisher. Make sure things like cleaning supplies and other items the children shouldn't have are kept out of reach or locked up.

Most of it is common sense things but I know you're probably worried you will miss something. Ask any specific questions you have and I bet one of us Texas gals can help you out.
ashley9427 01:04 PM 04-26-2012
thank so much guys. my caseworker got all my nessecary paperwork/fees, and gave my case to someone who is coming out to inspect the house. is that pretty much the last step?? after that im registered?? also, rooms that arent used for daycare (like my bedroom and children's rooms) do they have to meet standards? or just put like a latch on the door and say the kids dont go in there? also, i know the kids need their own sleeping mat/cot. what about a sleeping bag? will anything do that is labeled theirs or does it need to be some specific type of mat? sorry about the questions..lol.
Reply Up