Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Keep Up With It All?
Angelwings36 07:18 AM 04-25-2012
This might be a bit of a LONG vent...

How do you keep up with everything?

1) There is the child part of the daycare (feedings, diapers, circle story time, arts and crafts, outdoor play, etc...)

2) There is the parent part of the daycare (answering emails/texts/phone calls from clients regarding information about their child or making a request, sending out emails/texts/phone calls to clients regarding information about their child or informing them of something, interaction with the parents at drop off and pick up times, etc...)

3) There is the paper work part of the daycare (keeping a clear schedule, writing receipts for families, filling all receipts for income tax, newsletters, the contract updates, letters to families concerning issues or contract updates, etc...)

4) There is the interviewing part of the daycare (putting up the ads, answering emails/phone calls from potential clients, getting all the paperwork organized and together, taking the interview, sealing the interview, etc...)

5) There is the errand part of the daycare (getting groceries for the daycare children, purchasing toys for the daycare children, buying office supplies for the daycare, etc...)

THEN...

6) There is the house part of the daycare (tidying up the children's daily messes in the playrooms, bathrooms, nap rooms, kitchen, etc...)

AND...

7) There is the house part of your life (doing the deep cleaning, the laundry, cleaning out the fridge, watering plants, windexing windows, cleaning out closets, and on and on and on and on...)

AND...

8) The yard part of your life (planting and tending to a garden, planting and tending to the flowers, etc...)

AND...

9) There is the daughter(s)/son(s) part of your life (keeping up with school schedules, helping with homework, running errands for school related materials, taking the children to their sports/dance/music etc...)

AND...

10) There is the husband part of your life (remembering to find a little time often enough to spend quality time with your partner...)

AND...

11) There is the family/friends part of you life (remembering to find a little time often enough to spend quality time with your parents/brothers/sisters/best friends, etc...)

You could add in:

12) Renovations
13) Keeping up with a budget
14) Taking care of yourself (Hair cuts, nails, etc...)

AND EVEN ME TIME!

SO HOW DO YOU DO IT?

How do you balance your life to accomplish all of these things?

For me personally I have always been my worst critic and I am a perfectionist as well so when something on the above list gets left out or I can't do it the way I would want myself to do because of lack of time/energy I get pretty down.

I just need to hear from others as to how they keep up with everything and their mind sets on how you feel when you just can't do it all...
Country Kids 07:42 AM 04-25-2012
I'm trying to stay very quiet this morning from my whole family because I'm struggling with this. It hit me hard this morning and the best thing for me to do is stay quiet. No matter what I do, how I say it, what I show it just never seems to get done. I really can't blame my kids because they just seem to always have tons of homework (3+ hours) and to add housework on that just doesn't seem fair.

My husband listens and is more then willing to help but he only know how to do so much. Also, he keeps the outside up.

I'm just very frustrated this week but I'm trying to keep the mind set of just keep going forward and not wallow in my sorry-
kathiemarie 07:47 AM 04-25-2012
I have a very go with the flow attitude. I take care of what needs to be done first then go from there. If it all gets done GREAT if not there is tomorrow.
For example: I might go a couple of months without doing any daycare paper work then on a quiet Sunday I will do it all. Same goes with crafts etc for the DC. I will paln weeks out, make sure I have all the supplies etc. Friends, we chat on the phone, meet once a month for breakfast or lunch. Hubby I'll watch one "his" shows with him. Make dinner almost everynight and listen to his long stories. Myself... I just do it! When I was younger (30's) I would sneek it. tell my hubby I was going food shopping then take a book and read at the coffee shop for about 1/2 or more and then quickly do my shopping. Now I tell him I need some time and I either leave or go to my room for a mommy time out. If he gets pissy I remind him Im in the house ALL day he's not. He gets time to himself durring the day I don't.
Quit being so hard on your self... really the little things do not matter.
Frizzled 08:31 AM 04-25-2012
I have a system in my head. First is the babies needs: food, diapers, naps. If what needs done doesnt fit in that category then it gets put on hold while I do that. Then I go to can I do it in 2 minutes? If yes then I do it then and there. I clean the kids toys up in the morning when drop offs are active and in the evening for pickups (we have special toys that come out around 4 that are easier to clean up) other than that they are on their own for cleanup. I have the meal times where I know I need to do that. And then... My cleaning schedule. On Mondays I clean the kitchen and dining room. Tuesdays is Bathroom and bedrooms. Wednesday is the hall and the living room and that leaves thurs-sun to catch up on what didnt get done/spot clean. I try and do all the laundry on one day so my weekend is not taken over by laundry! Somedays though, I just sit and stare at all the mess and get overwhelmed... No one is perfect and no one always has a clean house, happy kids, or a good relationship with their spouse! It's just one of those things we all should realize (although I still have not accepted this myself).
3girls 09:32 AM 04-25-2012
You're right, there is a LOT that goes into it! I am perfectionistic also, and thats one of the reasons I love doing HDC

To be fair, I don't have a full house, usually just 4 children. I also don't have a husband which, having had one once, I know makes a difference! If I don't get it done no one is gonna grump at me. I do have to remind myself to at least text my friends. My friends who SAH sometimes come over during daycare times. I don't think it would be better if I worked outside the home because then I'd be even busier.

Here are some things that make my life easier:

I meal plan monthly, then shop monthly for non-perishable items. I go back once a week for the perishable stuff. I have two planned leftover days during the week, a soup n salad day, and a casserole day. I do all my cooking during daycare time, we usually sit down to dinner immediately after the children leave.

I am not on the food program so I don't have that paperwork to deal with.

I aim to have everything wrapped up by the time daycare children go home and most of the time it works out that way. I clean while they are here and my own children do help. I try to do paperwork during quiet time. I run any possible errand while they are here so that our nights are free, I bravely take all the children to the grocery store!

I got my hair cut last week at 8pm lol

I have a friend who comes in and subs for me when I have unworkable things like dentist appts.
My3cents 10:05 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:

How do you keep up with everything? organization is key- sounds like you are good in that department.

1) There is the child part of the daycare (feedings, diapers, circle story time, arts and crafts, outdoor play, etc...)that gets done during daycare hours as needed or scheduled

2) There is the parent part of the daycare (answering emails/texts/phone calls from clients regarding information about their child or making a request, sending out emails/texts/phone calls to clients regarding information about their child or informing them of something, interaction with the parents at drop off and pick up times, etc...)my parents know if I don't answer to leave a message and I will call right back when I have a minute- most everyone I know, knows this too, I put it in my adds that the kids come first so please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as I am able. Informing them- is done at pick up or drop off or monthly newsletter or note home

3) There is the paper work part of the daycare (keeping a clear schedule, writing receipts for families, filling all receipts for income tax, newsletters, the contract updates, letters to families concerning issues or contract updates, etc...)nap time is a great time to do this or while the kids are playing nicely and you can multi-task. Sometimes a few minutes before the day starts or a few minutes after work

4) There is the interviewing part of the daycare (putting up the ads, answering emails/phone calls from potential clients, getting all the paperwork organized and together, taking the interview, sealing the interview, etc...)all my interviews are done after hours, and I leave a window of time for that

5) There is the errand part of the daycare (getting groceries for the daycare children, purchasing toys for the daycare children, buying office supplies for the daycare, etc...)errands are combined with the normal errands that I do for my family needs

THEN...

6) There is the house part of the daycare (tidying up the children's daily messes in the playrooms, bathrooms, nap rooms, kitchen, etc...)all done during daycare hours

AND...

7) There is the house part of your life (doing the deep cleaning, the laundry, cleaning out the fridge, watering plants, windexing windows, cleaning out closets, and on and on and on and on...)I try to do this as I go or as needed. If you were a stay at home mom you would do these things while watching your child so these things are part of the daily go about

AND...

8) The yard part of your life (planting and tending to a garden, planting and tending to the flowers, etc...)weekends or at night

AND...

9) There is the daughter(s)/son(s) part of your life (keeping up with school schedules, helping with homework, running errands for school related materials, taking the children to their sports/dance/music etc...)this is life, you do these things when they occur or are scheduled

AND...

10) There is the husband part of your life (remembering to find a little time often enough to spend quality time with your partner...)we do everything together- we always have, this is what works best for us. My husband helps me a lot. I am lucky, I know a lot of women do not have this. This part of my life was worked out before we decided to get married. We both just do the best we can and have learned over the years to let the little stuff go- if we can't let it go, we talk about it, or we do it ourself

AND...

11) There is the family/friends part of you life (remembering to find a little time often enough to spend quality time with your parents/brothers/sisters/best friends, etc...)we just do the best we can here too, I schedule a night out with a dear friend, if hubbies are occupied with other things then we take time to get together. Family- most of our family it is the holidays- everyone is busy with their own lives or scattered, or we schedule in visits

You could add in:

12) Renovationsall the above goes to pot
13) Keeping up with a budgetyou just do it
14) Taking care of yourself (Hair cuts, nails, etc...)after hours

AND EVEN ME TIME!I don't take a lot of me time, my me time is nightly TV or my night out with my friend or if the family is not doing something and I feel like it I will take off and just get out of the house for a while, go shopping for a walk, whatever

SO HOW DO YOU DO IT?that is how I do it. Over the years I have learned to let a lot of the little things go.

How do you balance your life to accomplish all of these things?allowing yourself to just do the best that you can and putting the things that are most important first

For me personally I have always been my worst critic and I am a perfectionist as well so when something on the above list gets left out or I can't do it the way I would want myself to do because of lack of time/energy I get pretty down. you have to change your thinking or reorganize to be able to do it all, being good to yourself is half the battle-

I just need to hear from others as to how they keep up with everything and their mind sets on how you feel when you just can't do it all...
when I can't do it all I vent to friends, here, or allow myself to be a human and not a robot that must be perfect. I am far from it- I get down too, and just have to turn the frown upside down and be more positive and have a positive outlook on life. Hope this helped-
My3cents 10:13 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm trying to stay very quiet this morning from my whole family because I'm struggling with this. It hit me hard this morning and the best thing for me to do is stay quiet. No matter what I do, how I say it, what I show it just never seems to get done. I really can't blame my kids because they just seem to always have tons of homework (3+ hours) and to add housework on that just doesn't seem fair.

My husband listens and is more then willing to help but he only know how to do so much. Also, he keeps the outside up.

I'm just very frustrated this week but I'm trying to keep the mind set of just keep going forward and not wallow in my sorry-
I just wanted to comment on the staying quiet- if I did that, I would build up so much resentment that I would blow and when I ended up blowing it would not be good for anyone. I also feel that if you do that you are enabling everyone else in the FAMILY to not pick up some of the slack. Your husband is capable of learning, your kids are capable of getting homework done in a timely fashion- You need to be good to yourself and allow yourself to wallow and allow yourself to say........hey family I am sinking can you help me out a bit!!!! Hugs-
Angelwings36 10:22 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I just wanted to comment on the staying quiet- if I did that, I would build up so much resentment that I would blow and when I ended up blowing it would not be good for anyone. I also feel that if you do that you are enabling everyone else in the FAMILY to not pick up some of the slack. Your husband is capable of learning, your kids are capable of getting homework done in a timely fashion- You need to be good to yourself and allow yourself to wallow and allow yourself to say........hey family I am sinking can you help me out a bit!!!! Hugs-
I think the whole "Hey family can you help me out a bit?" is the part that is the most hardest for me right now in my life. My son is only 7 years old, so although I will teach him how to do things around the house I usually always have to go behind him and pick up the pieces. I guess the same kinda goes for my husband. He does great at taking care of the yard and will help around the house IF I ASK AND ASSIST HIM but the assisting him part is the part that adds more to my list. Usually when I ask for help it's because I'm worn out and can't do anymore and want someone to take over on this (laundry for example) or that for me because I am too burnt out for the day. If I don't help my husband do whatever it is I ask him to help with it doesn't get done (I'll do it later never happens) so a lot of times I get left with everything alone. I do love my husband though, just hate that part.
Christian Mother 10:25 AM 04-25-2012
I hear you...I get over whelmed too and get down on my self. I'm usually last on that list..lol!

Just take things as they come and don't worry about it not all being taken care of right away. Do what you can and relax.

I am pretty laid back. I try and stay on a schedule for me but also for the kids and daycare kids. It makes everyones life that much more easier to handle.

With friends we connect through emails, phone calls and visits when we all have time and sometimes we don't get to see each other for months bc we can't all work it in our schedules.

For my hubby and I...when he was here in town we would have date nights but we generally do everything together like running earins and what not's.
Now that he works out of town I see him every 2 wks and we try to cram as much in as we can during the weekend bt it is kind of hard bc we are usually packing.

Don't get down on your self for not being able to do it all...I don't think all of us can 100 percent of the time and you need to know that that is ok. We are hear to vent to and give you encouragement..I will pray for you and know that you are not alone in this!
renodeb 11:03 AM 04-25-2012
I have to agree, this is a tough job. A lot goes into it. I think if I didnt have the support of my dh it would be nearly impossible to do this.
Grocery shopping, and cleaning the house is a weekend thing for me. Dh usually helps with the laundry during the week so thats a huge help. I straighten up every night and vacum almost every day at some point. I rotate the toys through the wash/sanitize cycle and everything gets it on the weekend. My own kids help some. I try not to worry about things to much or I end up driving myself batty.
Spend a little time with Hubby whenever possible, I fix dinner nearly every night.
Thankfully hubby gets the kids to there apts, and sports activities. We do a lot of one dropping off and one picking up which works for us. We just kinda strum along.
Debbie
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 04-25-2012
Holy crap! We are suppose to do ALL of that!?!?

Do what absolutely needs to get done and let the rest ride..... life goes way to fast to worry about all the stuff we have no control over. Your kids are only little for a while and before you know it, you will be wishing you had these issues...

Stop and count your blessing twice as often as you take count of the things you don't have time for.

Enjoy the little things in life for one day you will look back and realize they were big things.
wdmmom 11:40 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:

How do you keep up with everything?

1) There is the child part of the daycare (feedings, diapers, circle story time, arts and crafts, outdoor play, etc...)

I have set daily schedule that includes these things. i.e.
Breakfast 8am, Lunch 1115am, scheduled activity 9am-11am (today we spent an hour on crafts and an hour outside. Storytime/circle time is after lunch each day.

2) There is the parent part of the daycare (answering emails/texts/phone calls from clients regarding information about their child or making a request, sending out emails/texts/phone calls to clients regarding information about their child or informing them of something, interaction with the parents at drop off and pick up times, etc...)

I don't normally get a lot of calls but texts and emails both go to my phone so it's a quick few seconds of my time to respond. A lot of times it's a simple "ok" acknowledging I got the email or text. I don't do much interaction at the door. I have a white board that has what was served for Breakfast and Lunch. I do daily sheets for 1 child (7 months). Otherwise there isn't much discussion at the door other than, "They had a good day. See you tomorrow."

3) There is the paper work part of the daycare (keeping a clear schedule, writing receipts for families, filling all receipts for income tax, newsletters, the contract updates, letters to families concerning issues or contract updates, etc...)

Most of my families pay monthly with the exception of 2. Since I know what they are going to pay and when, i usually start filling the receipt out early. Name, amount, initial it and fill in the form of payment when I receive it in hand. I have an expandable file that I toss receipts in. Each month has it's own handy area. The receipt goes in there and I don't usually pull them out until tax time.

Unless a parent changes their schedule or their rate changes, I don't update contracts. I also prefer to email families rather than letters. Less paper, ink, etc.

4) There is the interviewing part of the daycare (putting up the ads, answering emails/phone calls from potential clients, getting all the paperwork organized and together, taking the interview, sealing the interview, etc...)

I use craigslist as my only source of advertising. I list my website and there is a "Contact Us" area within the website. I respond to prospective client emails usually after hours. I do a brief questionaire over the phone to be sure they are needing care within the hours I work, the age of the child fits within the opening I have, etc. I schedule prospective client interviews after hours.

5) There is the errand part of the daycare (getting groceries for the daycare children, purchasing toys for the daycare children, buying office supplies for the daycare, etc...)

I usually buy everything on the weekend. I plan my meals a month at a time and purchase all I will need a week or 2 at a time.

THEN...

6) There is the house part of the daycare (tidying up the children's daily messes in the playrooms, bathrooms, nap rooms, kitchen, etc...)

Kids clean up the playroom. Bathroom is cleaned on Wednesdays and Sundays. Vacuum daily, kitchen is cleaned right after breakfast while they have a few minutes of free play and right after lunch before circle time.

AND...

7) There is the house part of your life (doing the deep cleaning, the laundry, cleaning out the fridge, watering plants, windexing windows, cleaning out closets, and on and on and on and on...)

Naptime, nights and weekends.

AND...

8) The yard part of your life (planting and tending to a garden, planting and tending to the flowers, etc...)

That is the DH's job.

AND...

9) There is the daughter(s)/son(s) part of your life (keeping up with school schedules, helping with homework, running errands for school related materials, taking the children to their sports/dance/music etc...)

I have 4 children of my own and a step son that all live with us. We hire a tutor to come in once a week, I keep in contact with teachers, read planners, confirm work is complete, initial, etc. The kids know that they have to work independently and either me or DH will help (if needed) after dinner.

AND...

10) There is the husband part of your life (remembering to find a little time often enough to spend quality time with your partner...)

Haha! What's that?! That's a weekend only deal there. I go to bed earlier than him and get up earlier than him. We put the kids to bed at 830pm so we have usually 2 hours each night to watch a movie, talk, etc. That's our "quality time".

AND...

11) There is the family/friends part of you life (remembering to find a little time often enough to spend quality time with your parents/brothers/sisters/best friends, etc...)

Most of my good friends work conflicting schedules, second shift, etc. Very rarely do I do anything during the week. Dinner dates are done on the weekends. My sisters and parents all live 3 hours away so I usually see them once every 6-8 weeks.

You could add in:

12) Renovations
Hire a contractor for the tough stuff. DIY stuff we try to keep as "weekend projects"

13) Keeping up with a budget
That's not too hard. If you don't have it, don't spend it. I don't buy on credit. All my bills are due at the same time each month. I sit myself at the computer and pay all of them at the same time.

14) Taking care of yourself (Hair cuts, nails, etc...)
Mornings before work or after hours.

AND EVEN ME TIME!
My "ME" time is after the kids go to bed or when I lock myself in my room, turn on the TV to watch The Voice or something while I fold a load of laundry.

SO HOW DO YOU DO IT?
Take it in stride. Don't overwhelm yourself and sometimes you have to be selfish.

How do you balance your life to accomplish all of these things?
Make time for everything, make a schedule, stick by it, and whatever I don't get done during work hours, I either do at night or I have a little extra to do the next day.

For me personally I have always been my worst critic and I am a perfectionist as well so when something on the above list gets left out or I can't do it the way I would want myself to do because of lack of time/energy I get pretty down.

I have OCD. It can be done. I tend to get more done when I'm talking to someone. Pick up the phone and chat it off with a fellow provider, mom, sister, etc.

Don't get yourself stressed out. It'll all get done...just maybe not today.
SunshineMama 11:55 AM 04-25-2012
I *try* to do a different household chore during nap each day.

Mondays: Dusting
Tuesdays: Deep Clean the Kitchen
Wednesdays: Bathrooms
Thursdays: Clean my and kids's room (although my room is where I dump everything so the rest of the house is clean lol)
Fridays: Whatever else looks like it needs to be done.

I also fold laundry in the playroom while watching the kids, and I do dishes when we are in the great room. I have a very open floor plan so I can see and hear everything everywhere, so I am pretty lucky.

Even still, I am learning there is not enough time to do everything, and some things just dont get done. I am starting to have dd4 help me with chores like sorting socks, etc, so we make it a game.

I posted something to the same effect as your question not too long ago. I notice that there are days when I feel like I am on top of the world and life is super easy, and there are days when I don't think I can handle one more thing.

I have started enforcing 2.5 hour naps, which helps me regain my sanity. I read the kids a story, and then give them all books to read in their cots, and they read and then fall asleep. 99% of the time I have to end up waking them up, so they need the nap and rest time anyway.
Tags:balance, family
Reply Up