Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Salt Dough Ornaments - What Would You Do ?
blandino 02:08 PM 12-17-2012
We made salt dough handprint ornaments. They are in the oven now (after a miserable attempt to airdry them). Tomorrow the big kids will paint theirs (and I will even attempt to let the two 17 month olds paint theirs), but what about the infants ? Would you leave it the plain salt dough ? Or paint it one solid color ? I even thought to paint the handprint one color and the rest another ?!?
crazydaycarelady 02:17 PM 12-17-2012
If they are still cute with no paint then I would leave them, or maybe just paint the handprint one color. Make it as easy on yourself as possible.
Rubysmom 02:18 PM 12-17-2012
I painted just the hand of the infant ornaments. It was not extremely easy, but I think they turned out well. I let the older kids paint however they wanted.
Lyss 09:31 AM 12-18-2012
I'd let the kids do it. For infants I do paint the hand but my older kids (2+) paint themselves.

I posted this in the other similar thread but we're doing this:

http://www.theimaginationtree.com/20...tmas-tree.html

*some of mine are white ornaments not green. I made two batches and the kids picked what color they wanted.
Chatter Box 11:03 AM 12-18-2012
Here are the ones I did. I just had them do their hand prints and then I painted them myself.
Attached: photo (11).jpg (119.5 KB) 
Lyss 11:17 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by Chatter Box:
Here are the ones I did. I just had them do their hand prints and then I painted them myself.
Cute!
SilverSabre25 01:41 PM 12-18-2012
Super cute! I just got ours done (had to wait for DH to get home so I could do the baby and toddler) and stuck 'em in the oven. Haven't decided what we'll do about painting...probably nothing...they're pretty as they are, and I don't exactly have acrylic paints on hand (gee, i can't imagine why... :P). Do I need to do anything special to them if we're not painting? Or can they use plain ol' tempera paints and then I do something to make it permanent?
Chatter Box 12:12 PM 12-19-2012
I haven't tried anything other than acrylic's yet.
DCMom 12:48 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Super cute! I just got ours done (had to wait for DH to get home so I could do the baby and toddler) and stuck 'em in the oven. Haven't decided what we'll do about painting...probably nothing...they're pretty as they are, and I don't exactly have acrylic paints on hand (gee, i can't imagine why... :P). Do I need to do anything special to them if we're not painting? Or can they use plain ol' tempera paints and then I do something to make it permanent?
Whenever I use tempera paint on things I want to be more permanent, I coat them with a spray on clear finish.

I let the kids paint them, even the toddlers can do it with a little help. For the infants, I think I would just give it a colorful ribbon and leave it plain.

Chatterbox ~ those are adorable! Filing that idea away for future reference
SilverSabre25 04:46 PM 12-19-2012
Bought a clear spray finish tonight, and we'll be painting them tomorrow! And I'm going to be bold and allow them to then put glitter on them I must be crazy or something.
Meeko 06:42 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by Chatter Box:
Here are the ones I did. I just had them do their hand prints and then I painted them myself..
SO cute!!!!!!
Tags:ornaments, salt dough
Reply Up