Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Want to Open a Preschool in NYC
Big Dreams 06:51 PM 03-14-2014
Hello,

I hope someone can give me a little guidance from their experience. I am looking to open a preschool accepting ages 3 to 5 in NYC. I have attended the class for commercial daycare and have been informed that it would fall under these guidelines. I currently have a bachelors degree but in another field that is not related to education. I want to be my own education director and a teacher as well.

1- Any ideas on how to be eligible as a director? What is the CDA and does that apply to directors. Is there a faster way to get this done? Do i have to get the Early Childhood Degree and start from scratch? Can i get this degree online at any online university?

2- If i decided to change paths and open a group family daycare, i have been told the max is 16 students. However, my son goes to a preschool that has many different classes with 12 students in each class and it located in a residential family house.

3- Do i need a teacher certification to be a education director?

Any advice on how to start this would be helpful. thanks!!
melskids 04:29 AM 03-15-2014
You may be able to find some information here under child care.

http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/

Although, I believe in NYC, you go through the health department instead of OCFS.

I'm not much help otherwise.
Big Dreams 06:47 PM 03-16-2014
Thanks! Anyone else can give me some more info. I have already visited that website but my questions remain unanswered. Thanks!
Reply Up