Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy on Others Picking Up Child?
Crazy8 10:09 AM 12-03-2014
I have a family who has grandparents pick up on occassion. Both sets of grandparents are listed as emergency contacts. Mom used to be good about letting me know when grandparents would be picking up, but twice now grandparents have shown up to pick up without me knowing about it. I have no problem releasing the kids to them, but wondering if having them listed as emergency contacts is enough or if I should write something else up about them being allowed to be picked up. Even when mom would tell me in the mornings that was still all verbal (sometimes she'd text so I'd have that but not always).

What is your wording/policy on this? Should I write something up to cover myself since mom keeps forgetting to let me know?
Unregistered 10:15 AM 12-03-2014
I require at the minimum verbal notice that someone other than the parent is picking up. Custody issues happen so fast now days that even if someone is on an emergency contact list, I would not be comfortable just letting a child go with a grandparent that randomly showed up unexpectedly. I require parents to call, text, e-mail or let me know in the morning at drop off. If the parent doesn't let me know, the child cannot go. I refuse ot accept that liability.
Crazy8 10:30 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I require at the minimum verbal notice that someone other than the parent is picking up. Custody issues happen so fast now days that even if someone is on an emergency contact list, I would not be comfortable just letting a child go with a grandparent that randomly showed up unexpectedly. I require parents to call, text, e-mail or let me know in the morning at drop off. If the parent doesn't let me know, the child cannot go. I refuse ot accept that liability.
but what proof do you have that you got that verbal notice?? Not saying you are wrong, that's what I always allowed too, but the more I think about it that is really like having nothing.
Unregistered 10:44 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
but what proof do you have that you got that verbal notice?? Not saying you are wrong, that's what I always allowed too, but the more I think about it that is really like having nothing.
I have video cameras in my program so I guess their verbal permission would technically be "recorded" since everything else is. Not for that purpose but I suppose it would be acceptable if I needed proof. Otherwise, I suppose you could just have little notepads by your door and when a parent verbally tells you, you could ask them to jot it down on the notepad, date and sign it so you have written proof to put in their file.
craftymissbeth 10:50 AM 12-03-2014
In my state they are two entirely separate lists. If they're only listed as emergency contacts then they cannot pick up. If they are only on the pick up list then they cannot be contacted in an emergency.

I would create a separate list just to cover my bases. I also allow alternate pick ups from the list to pick up without any notice... I figure if something changes then the parents are responsible for changing the names on the list. I seriously have too much to worry about as it is lol
BrooklynM 10:51 AM 12-03-2014
In California this is the required form we have to use. It has the emergency persons and the name of the people that are authorized to pick up the child.
Attached: lic700.pdf (49.6 KB) 
Baby Beluga 12:19 PM 12-03-2014
I have an "authorized pick up" form that is separate from my emergency form. I let parents know (and the form says as much) that their child(ren) will only be released to those people listed on the form. I also let parents know I check ID's for anyone who I don't recognize and match the name on their ID to the name on the form.
Crazy8 12:34 PM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have an "authorized pick up" form that is separate from my emergency form. I let parents know (and the form says as much) that their child(ren) will only be released to those people listed on the form. I also let parents know I check ID's for anyone who I don't recognize and match the name on their ID to the name on the form.
thats kind of what I am thinking of making up…. a sheet that just says the following people are authorized to pick my child up from daycare - want to say something like "without consent from parents" but does that sound strange??
KiddieCahoots 12:59 PM 12-03-2014
Here we have separate list for emergency contact and pick up persons.

I'm facing the same issue with one family that has 6 different pick up people.
The parents are going through a divorce, and it can get sticky at times, but I can't keep tracking down mom every time someone shows up that is on her pick up list, that she just forgot to inform me was picking up for that day. So I just include this into my annual update form for her to sign. If mom does not want someone on the pick up list picking up anymore, that's her job to notify me, otherwise if they are on the pick up list, and show up for pick up, that's who dcg leaves with.
Meeko 01:10 PM 12-03-2014
I see no sense in having an authorized pick up list if I have to call and check with the parents anyway.

I explain to the parents that anyone on their pick up list can pick up the child at ANY time without notification from them. I consider them just like a parent. (I will always check ID if I haven't met them before). So they need to be very picky about who they put on the list and must keep it updated.

I don't want someone coming to pick up a child and having to stand around while I chase down the parent to check it's OK.

If they are on the list....they take the child.

If they are not on the list, I send them away if the parent hasn't bothered to call me. I won't chase.....it's the parents responsibility.
Baby Beluga 01:17 PM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
thats kind of what I am thinking of making up…. a sheet that just says the following people are authorized to pick my child up from daycare - want to say something like "without consent from parents" but does that sound strange??
Here is the wording I have on my form:

We, ________________________________________ and _________________________________________ parents to, ________________________________________ authorize the above people to pick up our child while he/she is in the care of (provider's name). If a person is not on the above list, your child will not be released into their custody until (provider's name) receives written permission from the parents/guardians above authorizing their child to be released into said person’s custody.

At the bottom there is a place for both parents to sign and date the form.
jenboo 04:09 PM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I see no sense in having an authorized pick up list if I have to call and check with the parents anyway.

I explain to the parents that anyone on their pick up list can pick up the child at ANY time without notification from them. I consider them just like a parent. (I will always check ID if I haven't met them before). So they need to be very picky about who they put on the list and must keep it updated.

I don't want someone coming to pick up a child and having to stand around while I chase down the parent to check it's OK.

If they are not on the list, I send them away if the parent hasn't bothered to call me. I won't chase.....it's the parents responsibility.
This is what I do.
I have lots of grandparents that randomly pick up without notice.
SignMeUp 06:05 PM 12-03-2014
Our forms have two separate places for emergency and for authorized pick-ups.
I've always thought it was weird - what would the person do after they came for an emergency? Just sit there with the child?
We have one space for emergency and one space for authorized pick-up. I have the parents draw an arrow between the two, so that both are authorized in an emergency and for pick-up. Plus I have my own authorized pick-up form because most of my families have half a dozen people that are authorized.
AuntTami 06:09 PM 12-03-2014
I also have a separate authorized pick up person list, and since most of the time the pick up people are also the emergency contacts, in my emergency form, I also have a box to check yes or no marked "is this person authorized to pick up your child from daycare?" so most often that's a yes for the same person on two forms. I ask that parents let me know at drop off or send me a text/call throughout the day to let me know, but I don't require it. If they're on the list, that's who I send the kiddo home with. I do however check ID before I allow the kiddo to leave with said contact if I am not familiar with them, and I generally send a quick text after the child leaves to say "DCK just left with grandma" just to be safe.
Thriftylady 08:23 PM 12-03-2014
I have them separate as well. That way parents can put the same or different people on them if they wish.
DaveA 04:04 AM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

This is pretty much how I do it. I have 2 dcks who are cousins and live close to each other and Grandparents. Half the time whichever one of the family gets off work first picks up both kids.

If someone other than Mom/Dad pick up I send a text to the parent saying "XXXX just picked up DCK from daycare."
therov 09:28 AM 12-04-2014
My state requires sign in/out sheets, even for a home daycare (!). I also had an issue with a parent not telling me about alternate (though approved) pickup people. I instituted a policy where an alternate pickup can be indicated next to the sign in/out area for the day. If it changes during the day, the parents must email.
Lorna 03:04 PM 12-04-2014
I require the parents to let me know beforehand. If they don't I do not release the children. I will try to get ahold of the parent by phone. i would get really upset with a parent that couldn't be bothered to tell me.
Checkinkids.com 05:51 AM 12-05-2014
Sounds like you need a 'safe pick up' list.
Tags:pick up policy
Reply Up