Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Website vs FB Page?
finsup 11:43 AM 02-11-2017
So I've been doing this for about 5 years now with no website, no fb page. Just advertising on Craigslist and local mom to mom groups etc. But it seems like it's taking longer to find clients, and everyone else that advertises links to a page of some sort. So, pros? Cons? So many use fb now but I can see so much drama going on with a site that feedback can be left. Could be great too, but I'm thinking the crazy, drama types of parents. Really not something I want to get into. But, more popular here then a website.
Also, how much do you say? Whole handbook on the site? Rates etc? There are a lot of providers near me, right now I'm one of the most expensive but there's a lot of "perks" that others don't offer. Do I share those in hopes of attracting people and let other providers know what I'm offering? Or is it better to tell people after they've contacted me (what I'm doing now)?
Gemma 12:34 PM 02-11-2017
Are you sure you don't have a page on fb? Because I didn't think I did either, yet just recently found out fb started one for me....I went to look at it and it had all my info, and on the top it said: "This page was created, because several people showed interest in your business".

I hate fb!
I don't advertise in any way! I have a page on Wix and I love it, I show up at the top of most searches without doing anything.
daycare 12:45 PM 02-11-2017
I would say do both. I advertise any where I can on-line to get my name to come up in searches.

I have a FB page
I have a website that I created.

It really helps for when people do a google search.

Technology is the way these days. I totally believe that referrals from current and past clients are still a very strong, but 80% of my calls come from online google search.
Ariana 01:21 PM 02-11-2017
You can disable ratings and comments on your FB page, it is highly customizable. I went to a workshop on how to set up your own FB page for daycare but in the end I found it too complicated and I didn't like the idea of having a public page. It would greatly limit my ability to post pictures or basically anything related to our daily activities. They give you very little room to talk about yourself and it is clearly more geared towards linking to a website In my opinion. I just found it kind of pointless for me.

I had a website a few years ago and it worked GREAT! I would link to my website when advertising theough my personal FB page and it explained my philosophy, my education, my hours and rates right in one spot. It had nothing to do with my daily activities at the daycare (I have a private FB group for that) so I was comofrtanle with it being public. I paid for my domain name at GoDaddy but got tired of paying $12 a month so my goal now is to make one using WIX.
CityGarden 09:42 PM 02-11-2017
I feel you have to have a webpage in these present times. The website can be simple but parents what to know the basics before they pick up the phone or email to schedule a tour.

They want to know:
- Hours
- Location (can be cross street or general area)
- Cost (though I understand why some providers do not state their rates online)
- Program Offerings
- Availability
- How to contact you

I found this article from MarinaVanessa helpful: https://daycare.com/news/advertising-your-daycare.html
Michael 12:34 AM 02-12-2017
I agree with most of the posts here. I think having as many options to promote your business is worthy. A website comes first in my option. You can own the domain name and move the content to another provider like WIX, Weebly and many others if need be. You are not beholden to another company like FB. You can then promote your web pages from your website to FB and twitter to draw clients to your website. With Twitter, you would need to have extra time to keep posting daily and I find I don't have the time or patience for it.
284878 10:55 AM 02-12-2017
I have a website and FB page to advertise with. I hate FB too, but it is were the people are at, so it is what I feel forced to use. I don't have a personal FB account, so I created and manage it through my Dh's account. I never post pictures, just post when I have openings and local kids events or kid friendly activities. I link my fb page when I post on sale groups.
I have an automatic reply set up when someone messages me via FB page, with a link to my website recommend them to check it out.
I don't have a FB link on my website or the state site.
finsup 11:52 AM 02-12-2017
Fb can create a page for you before you do it?! Yikes! That site...I swear it's a love hate relationship lol.

Thank you everyone! I think I will go with a regular website and just link it when I advertise on fb. I'll see what happens with it and then determine if I want to do a fb page. Twitter...I've never used, and chances are I wouldn't update it often enough lol. I'm so not a tech person
MsLisa 07:01 AM 02-13-2017
As a Nanny, I strictly advertise and use a FB page.
I've done a few websites before (Wix) and it caused me more stress without any reward. Got more spam than anything and it was just too much to keep up.
With FB I have had great success. I advertise in local sales and Mommy groups once a week, even though lately they find me even if I don't. Once I got the ball rolling and out there it seems the types of parents that usually need me are very social media oriented so it lands me right where I need to be. (Personally, I hate FB)
Of course, there's also Craigslist, which I don't use because that's where "those" providers claw over each other and I never got any serious clients anyway. Most parents on there aren't looking for quality, as I believe one of you ladies once pointed out to me.
TXhomedaycare 07:22 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would say do both. I advertise any where I can on-line to get my name to come up in searches.

I have a FB page

Technology is the way these days. I totally believe that referrals from current and past clients are still a very strong, but 80% of my calls come from online google search.
You can make an informative website that doesn't need to be managed much but Facebook needs to be managed a little more than a website. I have both and got rid of care.Com and other ads that aren't free because I get enough calls from Google searches. I also have a google+ and bing account that are free but take a little time to setup (worth the free advertising).
finsup 08:58 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
As a Nanny, I strictly advertise and use a FB page.
I've done a few websites before (Wix) and it caused me more stress without any reward. Got more spam than anything and it was just too much to keep up.
With FB I have had great success. I advertise in local sales and Mommy groups once a week, even though lately they find me even if I don't. Once I got the ball rolling and out there it seems the types of parents that usually need me are very social media oriented so it lands me right where I need to be. (Personally, I hate FB)
Of course, there's also Craigslist, which I don't use because that's where "those" providers claw over each other and I never got any serious clients anyway. Most parents on there aren't looking for quality, as I believe one of you ladies once pointed out to me.
Interesting! Our area is the opposite. The providers on Facebook are generally pretty pretty rude to each other or try to "one up" someone every time another provider posts. It's really silly lol. Craigslist (here) here isn't much drama, and in the past most of my clients have come from there. But it seems like it's not being used as much as it was a few years ago. The spam thing is good to know! I think I'll create another email just to keep the junk out of my regular one
Gemma 09:04 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I also have a google+ and bing account that are free but take a little time to setup (worth the free advertising).

I do too
Sumshine 09:14 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
You can disable ratings and comments on your FB page, it is highly customizable. I went to a workshop on how to set up your own FB page for daycare but in the end I found it too complicated and I didn't like the idea of having a public page. It would greatly limit my ability to post pictures or basically anything related to our daily activities. They give you very little room to talk about yourself and it is clearly more geared towards linking to a website In my opinion. I just found it kind of pointless for me.

I had a website a few years ago and it worked GREAT! I would link to my website when advertising theough my personal FB page and it explained my philosophy, my education, my hours and rates right in one spot. It had nothing to do with my daily activities at the daycare (I have a private FB group for that) so I was comofrtanle with it being public. I paid for my domain name at GoDaddy but got tired of paying $12 a month so my goal now is to make one using WIX.
I would love to disable any comments/reviews etc from mine as well. How do you do it??? I've tried! I have a business FB page... I have some reviews but they are all my family lol! I just want a place where people can see what we are up to and I place I can tell potential families to look into if they inquire via phone to get a better idea of what we are all about
daycare 09:24 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
You can make an informative website that doesn't need to be managed much but Facebook needs to be managed a little more than a website. I have both and got rid of care.Com and other ads that aren't free because I get enough calls from Google searches. I also have a google+ and bing account that are free but take a little time to setup (worth the free advertising).
I also have google plus, and just about anywhere free I can place my information for free.

Some online websites will try to sell you their products, like yelp, yellow pages and etc, but you don't need to spend any money to place your ad on these sites.

I think the only issue that I have ever had was needing to change my information when it changed. I had to go to every where my daycare came up online and change the information with that website...that was kind of annoying...lol
daycarediva 11:18 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:

I have a FB page

Almost all of my clients are parent referrals, but that started with my FB and website.

Originally Posted by Ariana:

Set your page up as an individual person- NOT a business. I have all of my CURRENT dc families on it. NO reviews, no ratings, (fewer) privacy concerns.
Controlled Chaos 11:58 AM 02-13-2017
I have both and have experienced no drama on FB. You really need an online presence to be highly successful today (my 2 cents) I have media releases for the kids and have no problem posting pics of our activities. We were recently featured in the news (story about quality care and the difficult of finding infant spots) after a reporter followed my page.
NillaWafers 01:11 PM 02-13-2017
I think I get about 80% of my referrals from my webpage. Mostly google, make sure to make a business account with them. The only downside is you must list your address.

I do have a FB, but barely use it. I probably should start posting pictures of our activities, I do have a release for all my kids.
MarinaVanessa 02:37 PM 02-13-2017
I have both.

I post pictures of what we do on my Facebook page and my website is to share info about my daycare.

I get more traffic to my website than I do to my Facebook page. If I had to choose one over the other I would go with my webpage
Mike 06:27 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by finsup:
The spam thing is good to know! I think I'll create another email just to keep the junk out of my regular one
That's a wise idea. It can be a separate real email account (POP account) or just a forwarder, but by using different emails for different things, if one starts getting too much spam, you can just change it.
Tags:marketing, website
Reply Up