Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Due To New Reg. Changes....
Josiegirl 03:08 AM 02-12-2017
Our state has lost 91 providers but 40 new ones have opened. People are wondering what the new rules are that are making people leave the profession. I can understand why they're questioning but I don't think they understand how the state can be either. One provider was noted as saying 'it's for the safety and better care of the children' which makes me feel like if we don't like the rules, we're not concerned about the care we give our children. Tell me, how does noting every single trip to the bathroom or diaper change noted throughout the day signify better care? To me, it's taking up more valuable time away from kids. And that's just one small example of more documentation added. I've been changing diapers for 36 yrs. And now they tell me I'm not doing it right? Again, a small thing but to change a deep-seated routine like that, times 2, 3, 4 infants....the time taken adds up.
And we all know how much extra time we all have in our days.

*sigh* Just a Sunday morning vent.
Gemma 06:03 AM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Tell me, how does noting every single trip to the bathroom or diaper change noted throughout the day signify better care? To me, it's taking up more valuable time away from kids.

I'd be one of those that quits, if this would to become mandatory in my State
I would really like to know how some of the regulations come to be....
Leigh 08:28 AM 02-12-2017
Our state has lost 91 providers but 40 new ones have opened. People are wondering what the new rules are that are making people leave the profession. I can understand why they're questioning but I don't think they understand how the state can be either. One provider was noted as saying 'it's for the safety and better care of the children' which makes me feel like if we don't like the rules, we're not concerned about the care we give our children. Tell me, how does noting every single trip to the bathroom or diaper change noted throughout the day signify better care? To me, it's taking up more valuable time away from kids. And that's just one small example of more documentation added. I've been changing diapers for 36 yrs. And now they tell me I'm not doing it right? Again, a small thing but to change a deep-seated routine like that, times 2, 3, 4 infants....the time taken adds up.
And we all know how much extra time we all have in our days.

*sigh* Just a Sunday morning vent.
We've lost more than 15 in my city in the last 5-6 months. I know of 3 that have opened, but one of those has already closed. I was just inspected by the state office last week (annual inspection) and the inspector told me that many have closed all over the state because of the new rules (implemented because of federal regulations). I seriously considered it, myself. I already am stretched thin, and now I have more planning and paperwork to do.
Gemma 09:16 AM 02-12-2017
I'm starting to believe that the State wants us (home daycare) to get frustrated and quit.
Mike 11:26 AM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I'm starting to believe that the State wants us (home daycare) to get frustrated and quit.
Maybe they think that by making home cares close, more centers will open.
Annalee 12:08 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by Gemma:
That is the ultimate goal....To do away with Family Child Care altogether. Makes me sad!
Josiegirl 02:26 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
That is the ultimate goal....To do away with Family Child Care altogether. Makes me sad!
I firmly believe this is true even though the state keeps saying 'no no that's not it at all'.
Ariana 03:57 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Same here in Canada. The problem is they cannot afford to take the kids we take care of so it will be a looooong time before they can take us out!

In my City alone, licensed childcare centres only service 12% of the children. Guess who cares for the other 88%??
Josiegirl 04:19 PM 02-12-2017
It's truly sad because there are still families who want the smaller family environment, especially when their children are 3-4 and under.
Annalee 04:32 PM 02-12-2017
I firmly believe this is true even though the state keeps saying 'no no that's not it at all'.
My state is one of the frontrunners with the QRIS movement and when I read many posts on here from other states where QRIS is creeping in I wish I could express how this movement is causing the FCC profession to become extinct. It is bigger and deeper than anyone realizes and is so subtle coming in that it takes over before providers can blink.
Ariana 04:54 PM 02-12-2017
It's truly sad because there are still families who want the smaller family environment, especially when their children are 3-4 and under.
Agreed! They need to support us more instead of vilifying us. Especialky those of us operating legal unlicensed daycares.
racemom 07:40 PM 02-12-2017
This makes me sad. I live in a small town, and if it wasn't for in home daycares there would not be enough providers for all the children. Our center is small, privately owned, and the only one in town. The big centers are not going to move into a town of 1,000 people, so if the in homes close, where will people find care? It is definitely a profession where we all need each other.
Mike 08:03 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
This makes me sad. I live in a small town, and if it wasn't for in home daycares there would not be enough providers for all the children. Our center is small, privately owned, and the only one in town. The big centers are not going to move into a town of 1,000 people, so if the in homes close, where will people find care? It is definitely a profession where we all need each other.
Simple
If the government ever did decide to end home daycares, that just means there will be no such thing as legal home daycares. There would just be more illegal ones.
racemom 11:17 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Simple
If the government ever did decide to end home daycares, that just means there will be no such thing as legal home daycares. There would just be more illegal ones.
You are right. And that makes it safer for the children. (Sarcasm font in use).
daycarediva 11:21 AM 02-13-2017
I agree.
nanglgrl 03:36 PM 02-13-2017
I totally understand what you're saying. Every time we speak up to say a reg doesn't make sense we are regarded as not caring about children when in fact we're just not butt-kissers who go along with everything and try to add a little common sense into the equation. It doesn't matter what studies we bring up. It doesn't matter if we can show that it doesn't make sense, isn't doable or takes away from ACTUAL high quality care.
It happens to teachers as well. If they want more pay or disagree with a new method they must not care about the children and they must be money hungry. Apparently anyone that works with children should do it for free/cheap because they love children and keep their mouth closed.
I spent about 6 hours this weekend doing homework to finish my BA in ECE and then spent another 14 hours on new trainings we have to do because of the new federal regs. Then I got groceries and cleaned the house for daycare on Monday. Not having any down time or me time does not help me be a better provider come Monday, it does the opposite. The training is worthless and stuff that anyone with common sense should know BUT it's mandated because unfortunately common sense isn't a requirement to become a provider. Can I just please test out of how to sanitize and disinfect and can I opt out if safe sleep, transportation and giving medication since I don't take infants and don't transport or administer meds? No, instead I get to waste my weekend. Sure I could have done it a little at a time over the month but then it's constantly on my "to-do" list stressing me out.
In my state we have the option to be unregistered which means no training, no unannounced or announced visits etc. and only one less child (but no one ever checks how many children you have and they basically do nothing if you're not in compliance) so guess how many providers just went unregistered with the new regs?
nanglgrl 03:40 PM 02-13-2017
To add, one of the suggestions that they act like is a regulation in the mandated new training I took said we should have signs on every piece of outdoor equiptmebt to show which ages can play on them. I take care of littkes that can't read! As you can tell I'm frustrated lol. Oh well there's always next weekend.
LysesKids 04:00 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
To add, one of the suggestions that they act like is a regulation in the mandated new training I took said we should have signs on every piece of outdoor equiptmebt to show which ages can play on them. I take care of littkes that can't read! As you can tell I'm frustrated lol. Oh well there's always next weekend.
I totally get this... I use to live on the Iowa/IL border & considered living on the Iowa side for a short time. Back in 2008 Licensing couldn't even tell me if they would approve my EPA, hospital grade , plant based disinfectant... needless to say, even then I would have stayed license exempt had I moved there instead of back to AR because nobody in the "office" had common sense
Josiegirl 01:49 AM 02-14-2017
I'm not sure who they're creating all these ridiculous rules for either. If the parents want to know if their child pooped, we definitely have that conversation. And really, why all the 'over the top' disinfecting/sanitizing?? How will kids' immune systems ever get stronger if we're trying to wipe away every germ?
And signs on every piece of equipment??? WTH? There must be many people sitting in their offices who ran out of things to do.
Love
Common sense
Supervision
Whatever happened to that? Seems like we don't even have time for it.
Play Care 03:18 AM 02-14-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Simple
When the regs say things like "in order to use the bathroom, ideally the ASSISTANT should be placed in charge of the children. If that's not possible, then the provider needs to blal, blah, blah." It tells me they want the single, in home provider model done with.
daycarediva 09:40 AM 02-14-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
When the regs say things like "in order to use the bathroom, ideally the ASSISTANT should be placed in charge of the children. If that's not possible, then the provider needs to blal, blah, blah." It tells me they want the single, in home provider model done with.

Reply Up