Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoes That Are Too Small
Pestle 09:46 AM 10-31-2017
I'm on my second family that buys brand-new shoes a size too small for their kid. They both insist that the shoes are fine and they have no trouble putting them on.

Anybody else have this problem?

Anybody ever just said, "You must send in shoes that X can put on himself"? I'm about ready to do that--since even I can't get these shoes onto these kids.
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I'm on my second family that buys brand-new shoes a size too small for their kid. They both insist that the shoes are fine and they have no trouble putting them on.

Anybody else have this problem?

Anybody ever just said, "You must send in shoes that X can put on himself"? I'm about ready to do that--since even I can't get these shoes onto these kids.
I do. I require shoes the child can put on themselves and I require them to NOT be vel-cro or open toed....in other words NO Crocs or flip flops or sandals. Shoes with laces.

As for the parents insisting the shoes are fine and fit well, just ask them to show you....

"DCM/D, I am having trouble with Jill's shoes so there must be some sort of trick I am missing, can you show me how you do it?" ......and then watch how mom (or dad) does it.
daycarediva 09:59 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do. I require shoes the child can put on themselves and I require them to NOT be vel-cro or open toed....in other words NO Crocs or flip flops or sandals. Shoes with laces.

As for the parents insisting the shoes are fine and fit well, just ask them to show you....

"DCM/D, I am having trouble with Jill's shoes so there must be some sort of trick I am missing, can you show me how you do it?" ......and then watch how mom (or dad) does it.

YES! I had a dcd tell me the kids boots (that are a size smaller than his sneakers) fit fine. I asked him to show me, maybe dcb was resisting or curling toes or something with me. Then I watched him try for 10 minutes before finally removing the liner. Kinda defeats the purpose of the winter boot if they aren't insulated.

and no- he had never been brought in WEARING the boots.
sharlan 11:44 AM 10-31-2017
I vented about poor fitting shoes yesterday..

How hard is it to buy shoes when you have feet to try on?

I had one parent tell me she would rather buy shoes in different sizes than take her kid shopping.
Pestle 11:56 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I vented about poor fitting shoes yesterday..

How hard is it to buy shoes when you have feet to try on?

I had one parent tell me she would rather buy shoes in different sizes than take her kid shopping.
B-but. . . why doesn't she just buy the next size or two up from the pair that's getting snug?
Mom2Two 01:39 PM 10-31-2017
When DS was little, shoe shopping was a bit of a nightmare--and I was a SAHM. I can relate to it being easier to buy several sizes and returning the ones that don't fit.

I used to see this home shoe sizer in a catalog but didn't end up buying one til I had DD. Now I love it so much! I have used it to figure out DCK sizes (I provide rain and water shoes for outdoor play).

If you spend money on dck Christmas presents, maybe Santa could provide some of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Measu.../dp/B0171ZV02I
Attached: shoe sizer.jpg (36.7 KB) 
Mom2Two 01:41 PM 10-31-2017
Oh no, I see that it is no longer available. Hmmm maybe someone else carries them...
Mom2Two 01:42 PM 10-31-2017
https://www.thegrommet.com/childrens...er-by-squatchi
Jamie 04:34 AM 11-01-2017
Best advice ever for shoe shopping for kids (if you don't want to/can't bring kid with you): Have kid stand on a piece of paper. Trace their foot. Cut out the foot. Bring the paper foot to the store. Put it inside the shoe. If it comes out crumpled, the shoe is too short or too narrow.
Cat Herder 05:57 AM 11-01-2017
Free printable shoe size chart from Gap may help.

We are all so different. I don't allow shoes with laces for kids who can't tie their own shoes. I love crocs for summer/water play. I prefer velcro sneakers. I do not allow open toe shoes year round. If they don't fit, I send them home in loaners with their other pair in a bag for replacement.
Attached: kids shoe size printable1.jpg (36.7 KB) 
KSDC 07:13 AM 11-01-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
We are all so different. I don't allow shoes with laces for kids who can't tie their own shoes. I love crocs for summer/water play. I prefer velcro sneakers.
This is me. I hate tying laces all day. My handbook states no shoelaces until the child is ready to learn to tie them!
storybookending 08:14 AM 11-01-2017

We are all so different. I don't allow shoes with laces for kids who can't tie their own shoes. I love crocs for summer/water play. I prefer velcro sneakers. I do not allow open toe shoes year round. If they don't fit, I send them home in loaners with their other pair in a bag for replacement.
I don’t have a specific policy when it comes to shoes as I haven’t run across any problems yet. One little girl wore crocs this summer. I loved it, they were easy to slip on/off, she could run and play in them fine without them falling off and she could get them on herself really fast and then wanted to help her friends with theirs.

I’ve found these are my favorite type of shoes of all the shoes my kiddos have worn.
Attached: F630B2E2-2189-4B2E-86A6-EA5C3C40D742.jpg (85.5 KB) 
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 11-01-2017

Yes, definitely different.
Your goal is total care.
Mine is total independence.

My littlest DCK's can get their own shoes on. Depending on the number of times per day we go outside, they get a first hand demonstration of how to tie their shoes.

As each child ages, they do some of the first steps themselves, adding additional steps as they master tying.

By the time my kiddos are 4 yrs old they ALL know how to tie their shoes.

I know many providers (not all*) prefer shoes kids can manage themselves so it makes their day easier but for me, it's not about making my day easier.
daycarediva 09:07 AM 11-01-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I don’t have a specific policy when it comes to shoes as I haven’t run across any problems yet. One little girl wore crocs this summer. I loved it, they were easy to slip on/off, she could run and play in them fine without them falling off and she could get them on herself really fast and then wanted to help her friends with theirs.

I’ve found these are my favorite type of shoes of all the shoes my kiddos have worn.
I hate those kind!!!

They don't dry well when wet, the holes allow the pea gravel/mulch to get inside them, and since they pull tighter with the strap, some kids have a hard time getting them on and off.

Bc- I'm with you on shoes. I would rather put the initial work in up front. Easy on means the kids can manage them (or should be able to) I LOVE sneakers. Unfortunately not a single kid in the last 3 years has been able to manage tying their own, and this is because parents don't bring sneakers with laces. Always velcro straps, or those new ones with no straps, just laced stretchy material.
Baby Beluga 09:08 AM 11-01-2017
I second the differences!

Here I don't allow tie shoes until they can tie/untie themselves. Nor do I allow crocks or flip flops, I find they fall off feet and children fall very easily while running.

I request closed toe sturdy sole shoes, preferably velcro and SOCKS. So many kids wear shoes without socks here. It grosses me out. I can wash hands to cut down on germs, but I am not washing feet. And so many of my DCK's come with dirt under their toenails. So...I keep extra socks here if someone forgets them.
AmyKidsCo 12:17 PM 11-01-2017
Ditto! I hate tying shoes - if they come in with tie shoes on the shoes stay on all day, or they stay off until pick up time.

I don't even try to put too-small shoes on. They stay off until pick up time - Mom or Dad can deal with them.

Same thing with overalls, too tight pants, etc. I change the child into their extra clothes in the morning, then change them back before pick up. I have too many children to care for to spend extra time on one child's clothing/shoes.
m.kids1301 06:42 PM 11-01-2017
I've had too small shoes for years with more children than have properly fitting shoes! I started my home day care in 1992 and I've always had at least one kid with shoes that didn't fit. I had 1 boy several years ago when he was 6 or 7 and he had to get his sneakers on because there was nooooo way for me to do it! They were impossibly tight and I couldn't believe he could even stand in them!

I'm sure the problem is that no one gets their kid's feet measured any more; most go to those serve yourself shoe stores and they think if the shoe and the foot are the same size that works. But it does not. Shoes should be about an inch past the child's foot and be easy to get on. I can't imagine how uncomfortable a lot of kids are.

Pestle 06:34 AM 11-02-2017
What ever happened to the concept of "growing room"?

I'm not a fan of shoes that tie; there are a couple of years there where kids have the motor control to put on a shoe, but not to tie it. I fervently believe that laces are obsolete technology; they were, after all, around for millennia before the advent of elastic and hook-and-loop closures. They may be classic and hold a position of perceived dignity, but I think they're only still standard for aesthetic popularity. They are not functional compared to newer methods.

Also, my husband has a lot of difficulty tying his shoes and can't manage his time, so I resent laces for their part in making me run late for everything. I bought him monk strap shoes for Christmas and I think we're going to gradually replace his work shoes with that style.
happymom 10:50 AM 11-02-2017
My kids don't grow fast enough to buy things that are too big, with growing room. My 31lb almost 6 year old has been in size 8 shoes for over a year. I took him shopping for school shoes and tried on a 9 and they were still WAY TOO BIG.

Clothing and shoes can be very inconsistent. We all do our best. To my things harder, my little guy wears school uniforms, and being school aged but the size of a 3 year old is TOUGH!

My 2 year old won't let shoes near is feet that aren't chuck taylors. Honestly, they are by far not the easiest shoes to take on and off even though they fit him well. I don't know what his deal is or if he's just protesting his independence (likely) - but to me it's not worth the fight. Daycare doesn't remove shoes as part of the everyday, so if they have to put them back on him it is a rare occasion.
Tags:shoes, shoes that don't fit
Reply Up