Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Math help...UGH
daycare 10:51 PM 01-26-2015
Ok, I am sure that I am over thinking all of this, but I am sooooo confused right not and could use some help.

My payments are two options weekly or monthly. both are paid in advance.

if you pay weekly it's every friday for the following week.
if you pay monthly it's last friday of every month for the next month.

I have a family that started with me back in DEC. they paid up until the 19th of the month. Holidays rolled around and they missed the next payment on dec 26. I notified them they missed a payment.
So the child only attended 3 weeks and 3 days in the month of dec. started on the 8th of dec. i never get the payment for dec 26.

on Jan 2, they gave me a check for the month of Jan for the whole month. There are 5 pay periods in Jan, so I told them you still owe for the last week of DEC...they said NO.

the next payment is due for feb and I sent the invoice for the missed payment in dec and for 4 weeks in Feb.

the parent is trying to tell me NO. They only want to pay for the actual number of weeks in each month. So they are saying that the payment made in jan for 5 pay periods covered the last week of dec and the full month of jan.

so if they pay by the week, but pay monthly then some months will be higher than others, I explained this. some months have 5 pay Fridays and some do not. if we used $100.00 a week paying weekly some months it will be $500.00 and some months it will be $400....

SAMPLE OFFER
I offered them to do weekly payment $100 x 52 weeks $5200/12 =$433.33 a month... They don't want to do that. They want to only pay for each actual week. I am soooooo lost. I know some of this is my horrible math skills and a little bit of language barrier. I have never had a parent do this before.

UGH HELP..........
Second Home 10:44 AM 01-27-2015
I am not good at math so I do thing in a way that are easier for ME.

One flat rate paid either weekly or bi weekly .

In your case I would get out a calendar and mark down the weeks she paid you , leaving any unpaid week blank . And then show her what she has missed .
butterfly 10:52 AM 01-27-2015
My weekly pay day is on friday, so if a family chooses to pay monthly. I have them count the number of fridays in that month and multiply it by my weekly rate. That seems to be the easiest way for me and the family to know if they are current on their bill or not.
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Ok, I am sure that I am over thinking all of this, but I am sooooo confused right not and could use some help.

My payments are two options weekly or monthly. both are paid in advance.

if you pay weekly it's every friday for the following week.
if you pay monthly it's last friday of every month for the next month.

I have a family that started with me back in DEC. they paid up until the 19th of the month. When you say they paid until the 19th does that mean for ALL day counting the 19th?

Holidays rolled around and they missed the next payment on dec 26. I notified them they missed a payment.

So the child only attended 3 weeks and 3 days in the month of dec. started on the 8th of dec. i never get the payment for dec 26.

If they only paid THROUGH the 19th, they should not have been allowed to attend beyond the 19th and if that is the case, how do you get 3 week and 3 days? The 3 weeks would be:
Week one - December 8-12
Week two - December 15-19
Week three December 22-26

Leaving December 29, 30, 31. Three weeks and 3 days.

on Jan 2, they gave me a check for the month of Jan for the whole month. There are 5 pay periods in Jan, so I told them you still owe for the last week of DEC...they said NO.

I can see where they are thinking the week of Dec 29-Jan 2 is the first of 5 pay dates (Friday payday) included in the 5 week payment for January.

the next payment is due for feb and I sent the invoice for the missed payment in dec and for 4 weeks in Feb.

the parent is trying to tell me NO. They only want to pay for the actual number of weeks in each month. So they are saying that the payment made in jan for 5 pay periods covered the last week of dec and the full month of jan.

so if they pay by the week, but pay monthly then some months will be higher than others, I explained this. some months have 5 pay Fridays and some do not. if we used $100.00 a week paying weekly some months it will be $500.00 and some months it will be $400....

SAMPLE OFFER
I offered them to do weekly payment $100 x 52 weeks $5200/12 =$433.33 a month... They don't want to do that. They want to only pay for each actual week. I am soooooo lost. I know some of this is my horrible math skills and a little bit of language barrier. I have never had a parent do this before.

UGH HELP..........
I replied in bold above but from what I am reading they were allowed to attend AFTER they missed a payment? and that might be what is causing the confusion.

The best way to figure this out is to write it out week by week showing each date and a break down of what weeks the payment covers.

Use a calendar to visually show them if necessary....

Otherwise, in my honest opinion based on your previous posts about monthly payment issues, I would stop allowing families to pay you that way and insist that they do a break down of the 52 weeks a year instead of monthly.

Monthly seems to always do someone in or at the very least confuse them.
MyAngels 10:57 AM 01-27-2015
You didn't say how much they paid you in December, but based on your $100 per week analogy, they should have paid you $300 in December (for the Fridays of the 12th, 19th and 26th since they didn't start until the 8th), $500 in January (the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th) and $400 for February (the 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th).

At least that's how I'm understanding your pay structure. I agree with PP, you may have to put it down on paper for them if they're not understanding it.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 01-27-2015
So they went from monthly payments to weekly, then back to monthly? No. Pick one, roll with it. I would break their payments down, starting in Nov, what was paid, when, and what it covered. I would print a calendar, and HIGHLIGHT the payments, and then in the same color, highlight what it covered.

Then hand them a contract for weekly payments only. No other options.
AuntTami 03:33 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
So they went from monthly payments to weekly, then back to monthly? No. Pick one, roll with it. I would break their payments down, starting in Nov, what was paid, when, and what it covered. I would print a calendar, and HIGHLIGHT the payments, and then in the same color, highlight what it covered.

Then hand them a contract for weekly payments only. No other options.

If they want to "only pay for actual weeks attended" then they need to be on a weekly pay schedule. Which will actually benefit YOU in the end because instead of paying $400 for the month every month, some months you'll get $500 because of the Fridays. If they're not catching that, thats on them, and you're coming out ahead!

I wouldn't allow them to pay monthly anymore. I can see what they're thinking, and why they're thinking that, but I also see your side of it, and in order to fix this problem in the future, I would just go to weekly payments. Otherwise when May comes around and theres 5 Friday's again, you're going to be in the same spot.
daycare 03:45 PM 01-27-2015
thanks ladies, I was actually able to figure it out over night. the parent is looking at 4 weeks per month, not the fact that there are 4.33 weeks each month.

After I discussed the missed payment originally the parent agreed to pay it with feb payment, but then I invoiced for FEb and now they are going back to no I don't owe.

I figured it out and did as you all suggested by putting it down on the paper and showing them on a calendar. I also showed them all of the deposits to show the missing payment.
Tags:math
Reply Up