Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Fun Things Would You Spend Grant Money On?
LittleScholars 06:37 AM 02-27-2019
If you had a $500 grant, how would you spend it? I think I know how I plan to use mine, but I'm looking for fun ideas. I like to use these grants to purchase something I may not otherwise.

I have to use it at Beckers and I think I will use it for nice reading corner seating and instruments (we LOVE our instruments). I've also considered a mud kitchen.

What would you purchase?

Thanks!
storybookending 08:14 AM 02-27-2019
I have a whole list of “someday” items. I’m currently focused on converting a closet to a book nook. I have it all painted and I have two of the 4 shelves hung that are going to house my curriculum specific books that are sorted by themes. These are out of reach shelving. I purchased two new bookshelves and sold the two that I was previously using because I wanted them to be the same color as my new shelves.. I’m looking at what type of seating to put in there or perhaps a nice fluffy rug and pillows to make it more cozy. Also bins for the shelves. I would also love to purchase one of the womb like chairs that hang from the ceiling but my ceiling in that closet is drop tiles and I’m not sure how that would work as I haven’t removed them tonsee what kind of studs are above that closet, it’s below the bathroom so I’m assuming it’s piping and stuff that I won’t be able to hang that from.
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
If you had a $500 grant, how would you spend it? I think I know how I plan to use mine, but I'm looking for fun ideas. I like to use these grants to purchase something I may not otherwise.

I have to use it at Beckers and I think I will use it for nice reading corner seating and instruments (we LOVE our instruments). I've also considered a mud kitchen.

What would you purchase?

Thanks!
I have grant money to spend too...

I am investing mine in some really nice wood things.

I bought a bunch of magnetic book sets that my kiddos just love! https://www.janod.com/en/toys/boys-c...s-magnetibook/

I ditched my plastic doll house last year and have bought a new one but have no furnishing so I am planning on all new wood furnishings for it.

I also ditched my plastic animal collection and have invested in an a huge collection of Anamalz so I will be adding to that.

The rest of my grant money is being used for new rest mats (I am trying something other than the 4 fold Kindergarten red/blue mats).
Cat Herder 08:59 AM 02-27-2019
I just got a grant, too.

I asked for a couple of treehouse hideaways because all of my group seem to want to clear out the toy shelves and lay in them, bunkbed style. https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pr...234da0505c441a

With the other half, I asked for a couple of new manipulative library sets. Mine are looking a bit worm from thousands of bleach soaks.
LittleExplorers 09:02 AM 02-27-2019
I am in the middle of spending my grant money. It's too bad you have to spend it at one store. I got stroller muffs, mud suits, wind/uv cover for my stroller, a sturdy step stool for hand washing, diaper storage and a hiking carrier for infant/toddlers. I plan to get some retractagates, Ikea storage and lillebaby drool pads. I am only in my second year and with MN winters, my focus is getting us all outside more.

Does Becker have outdoor mud kitchens or climbers? That's what I would lean toward if none of the above were an option.
LittleScholars 09:04 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have grant money to spend too...

I am investing mine in some really nice wood things.

I bought a bunch of magnetic book sets that my kiddos just love! https://www.janod.com/en/toys/boys-c...s-magnetibook/

I ditched my plastic doll house last year and have bought a new one but have no furnishing so I am planning on all new wood furnishings for it.

I also ditched my plastic animal collection and have invested in an a huge collection of Anamalz so I will be adding to that.

The rest of my grant money is being used for new rest mats (I am trying something other than the 4 fold Kindergarten red/blue mats).

These are amazing ideas!!! I'v never seen anamlz. They are adorable! My kiddos would LOVE those.

I ditched my 4 fold mats last year when they all suddenly tore at the seam. I'm super happy with my ECR4Kids mats (I think that is what they are called). I got the name from this site and they have been working just fine. I did think my old 4 folds were a little bit more comfortable, but no complaints from the kiddos.
LittleScholars 09:05 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I have a whole list of “someday” items. I’m currently focused on converting a closet to a book nook. I have it all painted and I have two of the 4 shelves hung that are going to house my curriculum specific books that are sorted by themes. These are out of reach shelving. I purchased two new bookshelves and sold the two that I was previously using because I wanted them to be the same color as my new shelves.. I’m looking at what type of seating to put in there or perhaps a nice fluffy rug and pillows to make it more cozy. Also bins for the shelves. I would also love to purchase one of the womb like chairs that hang from the ceiling but my ceiling in that closet is drop tiles and I’m not sure how that would work as I haven’t removed them tonsee what kind of studs are above that closet, it’s below the bathroom so I’m assuming it’s piping and stuff that I won’t be able to hang that from.
What a great idea!! Your kiddos are going to love it!
LittleScholars 09:06 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I just got a grant, too.

I asked for a couple of treehouse hideaways because all of my group seem to want to clear out the toy shelves and lay in them, bunkbed style. https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pr...234da0505c441a

With the other half, I asked for a couple of new manipulative library sets. Mine are looking a bit worm from thousands of bleach soaks.
Those hideaways are too cute! I'm adding that to my list for next time!
LittleScholars 09:09 AM 02-27-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I am in the middle of spending my grant money. It's too bad you have to spend it at one store. I got stroller muffs, mud suits, wind/uv cover for my stroller, a sturdy step stool for hand washing, diaper storage and a hiking carrier for infant/toddlers. I plan to get some retractagates, Ikea storage and lillebaby drool pads. I am only in my second year and with MN winters, my focus is getting us all outside more.

Does Becker have outdoor mud kitchens or climbers? That's what I would lean toward if none of the above were an option.
This time around I could have purchased things on my own and been reimbursed, but it is slightly more complicated and restrictive. We don't always have a reimbursement option, but we did this time. I always think I'm doing myself a favor by choosing one of the two vendors (Kaplan or Becker) because it forces me to buy a splurge item rather than our staples, but I often find the quality doesn't match the high price. This is my first time choosing Becker.

I hadn't thought about Ikea!
LK5kids 11:07 AM 02-27-2019
More duplo people

Wooden doll high chair

Wooden table and chairs for home 🏠 living center

More magnitiles.

Light blocking shades
Core12 03:43 AM 04-11-2020
Where do you find grants? Would you mind telling me what grant this is you are referring to?
Tags:grants - how to spend
Reply Up