Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Default Questions To Ask Parents

I have been searching for questions to ask parents during an interview all day and have not been successful. I was wondering what sorts of things do you ask them when they come to see your home. Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I ask them what kinds of foods are their childs favorites, How they handle discipline and give a specific example which usually involves pushing/hitting/biting. I also ask what they liked or didn't like about their previous caregiver (if they had one) and what their expectations of me/daycare are.

ETA: I usually let the parents talk a LOT and I listen a LOT. They will reveal quite a bit if you just let them talk
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Hours of care they need?
Days Needed?
Parenting Style?
Describe a typical day...
Tell me about your child...
Anything in particular you would like me to work with?
Any food/diet allergies or restrictions?
Nap schedule?
Why are you seeking care currently?
Why are you switching daycares?
What was your previous care situation?
What are your expectations?
Do you have any questions for me?

Get them talking about their child. A lot. Then listen for red flags. Toddlers seeking immediate care could have been previously "termed." Attachment parents of childern under 12 months could mean you will have a screamer. No nap schedules are a red flag. Children only previously with mom or dad, or grandma and grandpa could be trouble.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM

good thread about questions and ideas in this thread http://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43801
Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

More threads on interview questions: http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?ta...ew+-+questions
Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM

The biggest issues that I have had at daycare involve non-napping kids and criers so I always ask questions about the kids routines and behavior so I can feel out if these will be an issue with new kids.

I also look for red flags with how the parents receive my overview of the contract. Questions are okay but negotiations and rude remarks about my policies are not okay. If they have a problem paying in advance or will not agree to a specific schedules, they arent coming here.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

i would ask about eating habits.... I find that young children have a lot of eating issues. Or at least the kids that I have had in my care

I would ask the parents what kind of foods their child eats at home.
do they sit for the meals as a family
how do they eat if not? LIke in front of a TV???
I would ask if the child could feed themselves
Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Licensed Daycare Provider

Cheerfuldom, Daycare and SunshineMama said it best!!

They all hit on daily issues we see on the board!!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM

oh one last thing I would ask is how often the child gets sick and when they do what is their plan of action. LIke who will stay home with them? Also who will provide care for them in the event you need to close for a vacation or family emergency??
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 PM

i make it as simple as i can, any allergies? Behavior with other children? Nap times? Pretty much that
Acts 13:22
Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Unregistered

Thanks a lot! You all have been very helpful!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

I have discovered that questions need to be worded carefully or parents can get the wrong impression.

For example...I do want to know if the child was in day care previously and why they left. But I don't ask what they liked or disliked about the previous provider because that can give the impression to the parent that I may be willing to "customize" their child's care depending on those likes and dislikes..

I use words and phrases like "our policy is" and "regulations state" to make it clear to parents that things are not open to debate when it comes to payment, sick policy etc.

And everything is said with a smile
Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
I have discovered that questions need to be worded carefully or parents can get the wrong impression.

For example...I do want to know if the child was in day care previously and why they left. But I don't ask what they liked or disliked about the previous provider because that can give the impression to the parent that I may be willing to "customize" their child's care depending on those likes and dislikes..

I use words and phrases like "our policy is" and "regulations state" to make it clear to parents that things are not open to debate when it comes to payment, sick policy etc.

And everything is said with a smile
this is great point meek... Be sure to not over promise and under deliver. Like you said, you need to be careful how you word things, as not to sound as though you will give them the world or special....

another word of advice, if you won't do it for all families DONT do it for one family. NO SPECIAL..
No special hours
rates
food, that is unless there are necessary reasons for it..
and etc...
Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Unregistered

Smile Questions to ask parents

In case of an emergency, can you write down the name and number of their doctor and where I can reach you?

DO THE KIDS NEED TO TAKE ANY MEDICATION? If so How often, how is it administered?

Are there any activity or food restrictions?

DO THE CHILDREN HAVE ANY ALLERGIES?

Do the children have any medical conditions I should be aware of (asthma, epilepsy, hemophilia, etc)?

WHAT TYPES OF GAMES DO THE KIDS LIKE TO PLAY?

What is your child’s favorite activity?

WHAT IS YOUR BEDTIME ROUTINE LIKE

Does your child have any special needs based on religious or health issues?

9. Can your children participate in occasional babysitting activities and special events?

When I take the kids To do kids activities is it ok if I took some pictures of your children to share with you ?

What rules do you have that I should know about?

May I have the names of references? (If possible, name of a former caregiver. Be sure all contract obligations (final payments) were met.)

What is the normal bedtime routine?

Where will you be?
Old 09-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Daycare.com Member

Lots of open ended questions.

I like to ask what they are looking for in a provider and what questions they have for me which generally leads into policies etc. If I know what they are looking for and it doesn't fit my style, there is no point to continue nor they try to tell me what they think I want to hear.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:27 PM
New Daycare.com Member

We never ask parents questions when they enroll, we just give them the paperwork and tell them what their rate is and how to get a card if they are a CMA client

Tags
2012, enrollment forms, interview - questions, parent questionnaire