Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2009, 04:06 PM
tinytotzdaycare's Avatar
tinytotzdaycare tinytotzdaycare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 97
Default Daycare Rules Listed in My Handbook

I noticed a posting on a parent taking away a bottle at dc but not a home.

Here are my rules...period. Everyone gets this in the handbook and I tell them in person during the tour....

at 1 year of age in my childcare program there are NO BINKIES AND NO BOTTLES.................period. (unless medically necessary of course)
This is a rule I have had for years and everyone follows it.

I have parents bring their child with a binkie but they know before they come into my home to put it thier pocket. Even the kiddos sometimes come in and hand them to me to give to mom...LOL! They know my rule and it makes mom and dads job easier when they (parents) get up the courage to do it as well...LOL!

We also start our kiddos at the table at 18 months with regular cups..no sippys. Yes we have a lot of spills the first week but after that its great!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
ConcernedMotherof2's Avatar
ConcernedMotherof2 ConcernedMotherof2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 88
Default

Having providers like you is how I got through those first few years of firsts as a first-time mom So, on behalf of all stressed out moms who need guidance on how to get through those important first transitions of early parenthood--THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
tinytotzdaycare's Avatar
tinytotzdaycare tinytotzdaycare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 97
Default rules

Your very welcome! I think sometimes its hard as a provider to stand your ground, but there are ways to do it tactfully and in all honesty I know that my parents THANK me for doing the things they have trouble doing sometimes..LOL! We are a team and we co-parent!! LOL!

I remember being a first time mom, my provider was a great help for all those NO NO's! LOL! Live, Learn, and work together for happy, healthy kids!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM
sarahtheresa02's Avatar
sarahtheresa02 sarahtheresa02 is offline
Sarah
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nampa, ID
Posts: 20
Default

I have two little girls. One is just barely 2 and the other is closer to 3. They both come with "binkies" attached to them. From day one I took them off of the girls in front of their parents. Both sets of parents looked at me as if I had stabbed their children.

Now... a week later the 3 year old walks in and immediately gives it to me and says "I'm a big girl". Her mom was shocked. But as soon as her mom picks her up she screams for her binkie and "bobble" (YES, SHE'S 3 AND HER MOM STILL GIVES HER A BOTTLE) and her mom sticks it in her mouth to shut her up. Once the 2 year old walks in the door her binkie, which is attached to her shirt, is removed. She no longer cares. But again is given it as soon as her parents arrive. It's funny how parents allow them to regress so quickly and undo all that you are working on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2009, 09:59 AM
tinytotzdaycare's Avatar
tinytotzdaycare tinytotzdaycare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 97
Talking not in my house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtheresa02 View Post
I have two little girls. One is just barely 2 and the other is closer to 3. They both come with "binkies" attached to them. From day one I took them off of the girls in front of their parents. Both sets of parents looked at me as if I had stabbed their children.

Now... a week later the 3 year old walks in and immediately gives it to me and says "I'm a big girl". Her mom was shocked. But as soon as her mom picks her up she screams for her binkie and "bobble" (YES, SHE'S 3 AND HER MOM STILL GIVES HER A BOTTLE) and her mom sticks it in her mouth to shut her up. Once the 2 year old walks in the door her binkie, which is attached to her shirt, is removed. She no longer cares. But again is given it as soon as her parents arrive. It's funny how parents allow them to regress so quickly and undo all that you are working on.


I would give them information on the dental/speech aspects of having a binkie and bottle at 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS LAZINESS!! The parents just dont want to listen to a bit of whining....and I commend you for standing up to them...WAY TO GO!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Chickenhauler's Avatar
Chickenhauler Chickenhauler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtheresa02 View Post
I have two little girls. One is just barely 2 and the other is closer to 3. They both come with "binkies" attached to them. From day one I took them off of the girls in front of their parents. Both sets of parents looked at me as if I had stabbed their children.

Now... a week later the 3 year old walks in and immediately gives it to me and says "I'm a big girl". Her mom was shocked. But as soon as her mom picks her up she screams for her binkie and "bobble" (YES, SHE'S 3 AND HER MOM STILL GIVES HER A BOTTLE) and her mom sticks it in her mouth to shut her up. Once the 2 year old walks in the door her binkie, which is attached to her shirt, is removed. She no longer cares. But again is given it as soon as her parents arrive. It's funny how parents allow them to regress so quickly and undo all that you are working on.
WOW, a bottle at 3?

Then again, not really all that surprising in this modern day of "TV Raising Kids".....whatever's easiest, and the hell with the long term outcome.
__________________
Spouse of a daycare provider....which I guess makes me one too!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
melissa ann's Avatar
melissa ann melissa ann is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 723
Default

I have an almost 4 yr old dcb who wears diapers at night. In the morning grandpa just puts underwear over the diaper w/otaking it off. Yes, it's very heavy. The boy knows no diapers. So as soon as he comes in, if he has a diaper on, he walks straight to the bathroom and takes it off. Grandpa recently got the message. So the boy has been coming in w/just his undies.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
tinytotzdaycare's Avatar
tinytotzdaycare tinytotzdaycare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa ann View Post
I have an almost 4 yr old dcb who wears diapers at night. In the morning grandpa just puts underwear over the diaper w/otaking it off. Yes, it's very heavy. The boy knows no diapers. So as soon as he comes in, if he has a diaper on, he walks straight to the bathroom and takes it off. Grandpa recently got the message. So the boy has been coming in w/just his undies.


FUNNY!!!!!!!! Kids always catch on BEFORE the parents!! HA HA!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa ann View Post
I have an almost 4 yr old dcb who wears diapers at night. In the morning grandpa just puts underwear over the diaper w/otaking it off. Yes, it's very heavy. The boy knows no diapers. So as soon as he comes in, if he has a diaper on, he walks straight to the bathroom and takes it off. Grandpa recently got the message. So the boy has been coming in w/just his undies.
That is just pure laziness if you ask me. When my Goddaughter was 5 (yes 5!) she too was also in diapers. She, like your dcb, had a grandfather who would just slap a diaper on her and wouldn't take her potty. Until I took control.

She started to come to my center. Thinking that maybe because she was at "school" her mother would put panties on her (her mother also worked with me.) Well no she didn't. She was there for 2 days and I noticed when we lined up she was walking very funny. Kinda like a John Wayne walk, if you know what I mean. In her family history there have been hip problems and I thought maybe something happened.

I immediately took Rita to her mother. Her mother bent down and we talked and it was because of the diaper. There were to small and she couldn't walk. I FIRMLY told Rita that if she wanted to come with me and be in my school she can NOT wear diapers. I basically told her that if she can't potty she can't be in my room (I was the preschool teacher as well at the time). I told her other things but what I said sunk in overnight because the next day, she was in panties and she was completely potty trained. I mean, she had the occasional accident, but in my eyes she was indeed potty trained.

Some parents nowadays IMO are lazy. Not all of course but some. When I started my daycare life back in 1991, a child in my center was potty trained by 2 -2 1/2 years old the latest. I have mixed feelings on this subject matter. However I also believe parents nowadays that are lazy just push the potty training to the caregiver, and never followup at home. Now you are lucky you get a child trained by 3 years old.

As I said I have mixed feelings on this subject, I can go on and on and on
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Chickenhauler's Avatar
Chickenhauler Chickenhauler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa ann View Post
I have an almost 4 yr old dcb who wears diapers at night. In the morning grandpa just puts underwear over the diaper w/otaking it off. Yes, it's very heavy. The boy knows no diapers. So as soon as he comes in, if he has a diaper on, he walks straight to the bathroom and takes it off. Grandpa recently got the message. So the boy has been coming in w/just his undies.
Does grandpa still ride the short bus?

Cuz maybe I'm mean, but he sounds a bit mentally incompetent.
__________________
Spouse of a daycare provider....which I guess makes me one too!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
melissa ann's Avatar
melissa ann melissa ann is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 723
Default

Quoted by fomer teacher
When I started my daycare life back in 1991, a child in my center was potty trained by 2 -2 1/2 years old the latest. I have mixed feelings on this subject matter. However I also believe parents nowadays that are lazy just push the potty training to the caregiver, and never followup at home. Now you are lucky you get a child trained by 3 years old.



My daughter was almost 3 when she was potty trained. She was 2 1/2 when I had a baby. She was going to the bathroom occasionally at 2 1/2 but once the baby came that went out the window. About 2 months before she turned 3 she was going to the bathroom. My son is 2 1/2 now, and he has no interest in the potty. When we are home, I have him w/out a diaper but he will hold it for several hours until I put a diaper back on. Ihave a little potty downstairs for him and we watch a learning to use the potty video.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old dcg who right after she turned 2 has been in underwear and always uses the bathroom. Even during nap time she stays dry.
Now, we know how her almost 4 yr old cousin is doing. Not good at all. People have told me that it's easier getting girls to use the potty then boys. I don't know. Any pointers for my son would be very welcomed. He's in size 6 diapers and they are a tad small for him. He's a big boy. Weighing in at 10 lbs 12 oz at birth and is over 30 lbs now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Chickenhauler's Avatar
Chickenhauler Chickenhauler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa ann View Post
Quoted by fomer teacher
When I started my daycare life back in 1991, a child in my center was potty trained by 2 -2 1/2 years old the latest. I have mixed feelings on this subject matter. However I also believe parents nowadays that are lazy just push the potty training to the caregiver, and never followup at home. Now you are lucky you get a child trained by 3 years old.



My daughter was almost 3 when she was potty trained. She was 2 1/2 when I had a baby. She was going to the bathroom occasionally at 2 1/2 but once the baby came that went out the window. About 2 months before she turned 3 she was going to the bathroom. My son is 2 1/2 now, and he has no interest in the potty. When we are home, I have him w/out a diaper but he will hold it for several hours until I put a diaper back on. Ihave a little potty downstairs for him and we watch a learning to use the potty video.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old dcg who right after she turned 2 has been in underwear and always uses the bathroom. Even during nap time she stays dry.
Now, we know how her almost 4 yr old cousin is doing. Not good at all. People have told me that it's easier getting girls to use the potty then boys. I don't know. Any pointers for my son would be very welcomed. He's in size 6 diapers and they are a tad small for him. He's a big boy. Weighing in at 10 lbs 12 oz at birth and is over 30 lbs now.
I'll give you a tip with boys-they like something to aim at.

Toss some Cheerios (or something similar that floats) into the toilet. Boys will be in there trying to "sink the ships" every 15 minutes.
__________________
Spouse of a daycare provider....which I guess makes me one too!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM
tymaboy's Avatar
tymaboy tymaboy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 449
Default

I think it is the parents & how much work they want to put into it. When my DS was young he was potty trained shortly after he turned 2. At the time I worked 2 jobs but I was still able to train him & it did not take very long. My SIL trained her little one (maybe 2 1/2) in 1 weeks time. She gave her DD an incentive that she could go see her Uncle & go swimming with him too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM
melissa ann's Avatar
melissa ann melissa ann is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 723
Default Interesting.

I've been told to potty train my son sitting down. The reason being, is that he might get confused when he has to pee or a bm. However, I'm willing to try anything.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Chickenhauler's Avatar
Chickenhauler Chickenhauler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa ann View Post
I've been told to potty train my son sitting down. The reason being, is that he might get confused when he has to pee or a bm. However, I'm willing to try anything.
We tried the sitting down method for a while, and had to constantly remind him to "guide" himself, or there would be more pee on the floor than in the bowl.
__________________
Spouse of a daycare provider....which I guess makes me one too!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bathroom, guide, handbook, pee, rules, toilet train

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare marylmr Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 56 07-30-2019 05:47 PM
4 Year Old Daycare Boy Cries at Dropoff My4SunshineGirlsNY Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 27 03-25-2015 12:23 PM
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 107 03-11-2015 02:09 PM
Daycare Rules stress Parents and Guardians Forum 1 07-11-2010 04:12 PM
CA Rules For Napping Infants In Home Large Daycare 4mvk Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-19-2010 01:40 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming