Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Breaks My Policies Even When Terming! Ugh!
Angelwings36 08:51 AM 10-05-2011
This ties in with my other post (FRUSTRATED WITH DCM)

My contract states this under the category termination:

A one-month advance written notice when terminating childcare services is required. Families are responsible for their regular payment during that time whether your child is in attendance or not. Families are responsible for their regular payment during that time even if the childcare provider was the one who chose to terminate services. Termination notice can only be given on the 1st of any month.

Last week I informed Dcm that her single mother rate of $400.00 would be expiring and she would have to pay what everyone else was paying in order to continue on with my services. Her rate increase went as follows:

October 1st - $450.00
November 1st - $500.00
December 1st - $550.00
January 1st - $600.00
February 1st - $650.00

She informed me last friday (September 30th) that she would be terminating her son's contract and looking for cheaper childcare or quitting her job to go on welfare. She failed to give me a written notice and honestly I don't know if I'm suppose to take what she said seriously or not without a written notice. For legal reasons I need the written notice just in case she comes back on me on November 1st and says, "Well I didn't give you written notice as per contract so therefore my space should still be opened for me."

The reason that I only accept notice on the 1st of the month is because I only accept payment on the 1st of the month prior to the child attending daycare and I only fill my spaces to begin on the 1st of any month. That way there I never have a lose of income in my business.

Dcm has not been here this week, I guess her son is sick (or so she says, maybe she already quit her job? Who knows.) So finally after waiting on her for part of the week I sent her out an email yesterday with a letter that I wrote up for her:

Dear *****,

As per contract it is required for either party to give a written notice upon terminating childcare services. As per contract notice can only be given on the 1st of any month. You informed me verbally on Friday September 30th that as of November 1st, 2011 ***** would no longer be attending daycare with me. Your reasoning for this was based on the rate increase that I proposed to you. I was not given a written notice and do need a written notice from you for legal purposes.

By signing this letter, this will serve as your written notice. Although you did not provide me with written notice by October 1st, we will date this document for the 1st of October provided it is signed and returned to me by no later than 5:15pm on Wednesday October 5th, 2011. If this document is not returned to me at such time childcare services will continue and notice will only be accepted for the next available time of November 1st, 2011. Please keep in mind if you do not give your notice, your rate will continue to rise as follows:

November 1st, 2011 - $500.00/month
December 1st, 2011 - $550.00/month
January 1st, 2011 - $600.00/month
February 1st, 2011 - $650.00/month

Thanks *****.

Anyways, today she texts me and asks if she can come late tonight to sign the paper. I said point blank, NO.

(No sorry I am done at 5 when ***** isn't here and we have to run out right after work so we can grab some stuff to finish the flooring. I'm sorry ***** but I should have gotten written notice last Friday already. I was trying to be nice by extending it to the 5th. If it would have been anyone else I just would not have accepted the notice after the first.)

She responds with: SO I TAKE THAT AS A NO?

Are you flipping kidding me? Um, ya the first thing I said to you was NO SORRY. OMG!

How would you react/feel in this situation?

Thanks.
Angelwings36 09:40 AM 10-05-2011
No responses? lol
wdmmom 09:42 AM 10-05-2011
Tell her she can print off the email, sign it and put it in your door or mailbox but it better be there before you return from the store or it will not be accepted.

Or, better yet, tell her she can respond to the email saying she acknowledges this to be notice and this can be considered her electronic signature.

Either way, you will have what you need.

Bet you can't wait until November!
sharlan 09:44 AM 10-05-2011
I would just assume that she is terminating as of 11/01 and start advertising.
tbutler 09:47 AM 10-05-2011
I say respond exactly as Wdmmom said. Just make sure the date and time is set correctly on your email (my hotmail account time and date are always incorrect) so that once she responds electronically you'll have it stamped with time and date. I wish parents will understand that just because we work from home doesn't mean we don't close.
Angelwings36 09:53 AM 10-05-2011
Dcm just came over signed the paper and slammed the door in my face!
wdmmom 09:57 AM 10-05-2011
Wow...a door to the face?!

Maybe she needs one of those when she drops her kid off tomorrow morning!
sharlan 09:57 AM 10-05-2011
Change your policies to a 2 week notice, forget the 1 month. You now have a whole month to deal with a hostile situation.
daycare 09:58 AM 10-05-2011
I like to make things easy and drama free. I would have just allowed for her to come tonight or even tomorrow morning. The first was on a saturday. When did she get the letter? I would have given her 5 business days to follow up.

When a family terms, I kill them with kindness. It's akward enough just having to deal with the whole situation, why not try to make the best of it.

Also, When you term do you send out a term clause? Meaning do you have something in there that states that they are still required to follow all policies and rules stated in the contract and PHB. If they fail to follow the rules, they will be termed on the spot without refund or notice.
Angelwings36 10:00 AM 10-05-2011
I am considering terming on the spot for the disrespectful act! Am I being too extreme, I have just had enough!!!!
daycare 10:06 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
I am considering terming on the spot for the disrespectful act! Am I being too extreme, I have just had enough!!!!
nope I think that you are being reasonable. If she is going to act this way on day one, imgaine how she might act the remaining time that she is there. She could make a huge scene in front of other daycare parents.

I would talk to her at pick up and tell her hey look, I have to run my business in order for me to provide for my family. I feel bad that i can no longer help you out, trust me i wish that I could. I really want to be as helpful as I can, do you think we can work together until you can find other daycare for ________. I will help you in any way that I can to help find another provider as well. Please don't take this personal, it's strictly business. Just do what you have to, to help get her out the door!

I would be pissed that she slammed the door after all that you have done for her, but don't feed into that. Just drop it move on and remain professional
Ariana 10:09 AM 10-05-2011
Nope not too extreme at all. No one deserves to be treated like this. She needs to be put in her place IMO. Ridiculous!!
laundrymom 10:11 AM 10-05-2011
Id tell her THANK YOU!!!

Hey sue, thanks for making sure you got the door shut this morning, usually I have to resecure it when you leave,.. Have a great evening with Jonathon, He is in the best mood today!!!

then walk away from her and do SOMETHING,..lol anything,.. as long as your attention is not on her. lol
SilverSabre25 10:13 AM 10-05-2011
...well, look at it this way: at least she signed!
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Id tell her THANK YOU!!!

Hey sue, thanks for making sure you got the door shut this morning, usually I have to resecure it when you leave,.. Have a great evening with Jonathon, He is in the best mood today!!!
then walk away from her and do SOMETHING,..lol anything,.. as long as your attention is not on her. lol

SilverSabre25 10:14 AM 10-05-2011
Id tell her THANK YOU!!!

this! hee hee...after you have given her Mountain Dew, Doritos, and mmarshmallows all day!!

heh heh heh I'm joking.

(well.....mostly)
wdmmom 10:17 AM 10-05-2011
Since it's signed and payment is due regardless of who terminates, I would tell her that because of her disrespect towards you and your property, services cease today.

Good riddance!

You don't need that and like a pp mentioned, I could just see it turning real ugly in front of other clients.
laundrymom 10:28 AM 10-05-2011
Im NOT!!! Isnt it someones celebration day??? I think its national taco day,... that child needs ice cream,... coffee flavored ice cream!! with a mtn dew chaser,.. oh oh wait,.. a mountain dew and vanilla ice cream float!!! =-)

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
this! hee hee...after you have given her Mountain Dew, Doritos, and mmarshmallows all day!!

heh heh heh I'm joking.

(well.....mostly)
Id tell her THANK YOU!!!

Angelwings36 10:31 AM 10-05-2011
Or maybe her discount expires as of today, as per contract, I do not have to give a certain amount of notice when rates increase. lol What ya all think?
cheerfuldom 10:35 AM 10-05-2011
how awful for you. this is why i don't do discounts. As soon as you can't do it anymore, the majority of parents instantly forget all that you have done and get nasty about any changes.
nannyde 10:55 AM 10-05-2011
Dcm just came over signed the paper and slammed the door in my face!
It's so risky to give THAT kind of a discount because at some point it has to right itself. Once you raised rates and her special special ended she HAS to balance this out for herself.

Her balancing is her quitting before the increase becomes not special, the slamming door, and defiance.
bgmeyers 10:58 AM 10-05-2011
I would terminate her at the next possible moment. When she picks up tonight, just hand her an immediate temination notice and be done with it. It's not going to get better as the month goes on. You really don't need to write down why you are terminating. She knows anyway.

Then be ready from a visit from licensing. People like this can't let things go and she will most likely call in a complaint.
momma2girls 12:42 PM 10-05-2011
Let us know what all happens!!! We are all dying to know!!
Angelwings36 12:53 PM 10-05-2011
I sent dcm this email. I know she is going to be livid, but I don't care anymore I am tired of dealing with her breaking my policies all the time and even more so at a discounted price. Tell me what you think.

After a week of thought and careful consideration I have come to a decision. Based on today’s actions and all past problems I have tolerated from you, your “discounted price” is being expired. On Friday September 30th you made a payment towards your monthly daycare cost for October for the sum of $225.00. Based on my regular full time rate your balance owing is $425.00. As per contract fees are to be paid prior to your child attending daycare. The $225.00 payment covers you until Tuesday October 11th. A payment of $90.00 will be needed on Wednesday October 12th, prior to your child attending that day, in order to cover the last three days of care before your mid monthly payment. The remaining balance of $335.00 is due on Friday October 14th in order to avoid a late fee of $10.00/day. Please make sure that these final two payments are paid in full on time.

Over the past two years you have broken the following policies:

1. Dropping ***** off before my opening time of 7:30am every single day until the month of April 2011 when I finally started locking my door until 7:30am. In one month you made me work over an additional 7 hours just from dropping off 20 plus minutes early. After I started locking my door you still approached my door before 7:30am and allowed ***** to bang on it for sometime upwards of 15 plus minutes. This was extremely disrespectful to the very little time I have with my family in the morning. On top of that there was a number of times that I was unaware that my door was unlocked and you proceeded to let yourself in before 7:30am. When I made the remark that it was not 7:30am yet and I didn’t realize my door wasn’t locked you laughed and responded with, “Yeah, but its 7:25am so close enough.” Believe it or not those extra 5 minutes do mean something to me in the mornings. As per contract: The provider will never accept an earlier than 7:30am drop off and the daycare doors will remain locked until 7:30am on the bell.

2. Sending ***** to daycare with toys. As per contract I do not allow outside toys in the daycare. There was actually a few times that you made me spend 15 plus minutes at the end of my day to search for a toy item that ***** had brought in. I am not responsible for any outside items that get lost in my home and this is exactly why I don’t allow outside items in, in the first place. As per contract: Please do not bring outside toys and/or activities for your child as conflicts between your child and other children in the daycare are prone to take place. Also I will not be responsible for any outside toys that get misplaced in the daycare.

3. You insisted 4 months ago that I cut out *****’s nap because he was not sleeping well at night. As per contract: All children in childcare must have a rest period.

4. In March of this year I changed my hours on Friday so I could close at 4:30pm. At that time I was not aware that you could have used your EDO time to pick ***** up earlier on Fridays. For this reason I stretched my closing time on Fridays for you. In one month I worked an extra 3 hours just for you. It was rude of you to not mention the fact that using your EDO time for Fridays was a possibility. Had I realized this I would have made it mandatory that ***** be picked up no later than 4:30pm on Fridays to begin with. As per contract: I will charge a $15.00 late fee for every 15 minutes (or part of 15 minutes) that you are later than 5:15pm to pick up your child on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday or later than 4:30pm to pick up your child on Friday. As per contract you should have been charged an additional $45.00 for picking up at 5:15pm on Fridays. I think you took for granted that I didn’t enforce this policy.

5. On two separate occasions you told me that you wanted to pick ***** up during the daycare naptime. As per contract I do not allow any drop offs or pick-ups during naptime as it disturbs the children in my care. The last time I told you no you got upset with me and stormed out of the house. Later that week you brought it up again and slammed your van door. As per contract: Pick up and drop offs during naptime will not be allowed as it disturbs the children.

6. During the winter of 2010 you did not bring ***** dressed properly for the winter weather, not even once. I even went to the extreme of providing you with a pair of winter boots so that he came in proper footwear, you did not use them once. As per contract: Please bring appropriate out door clothing. Please be sure that your child has appropriate food wear each day they attend daycare.

7. You failed to give me a written notice upon termination. I think you are taking for granted that I was nice enough to type you out a termination letter and print it off for you to sign 5 days after I would have allowed anyone else to do so. As per contract: A one-month advance written notice when terminating childcare services is required. Families are responsible for their regular payment during that time whether your child is in attendance or not. Families are responsible for their regular payment during that time even if the childcare provider was the one who chose to terminate services. Termination notice can only be given on the 1st of any month

In the long run ***** your “discounted price” was offered to you out of the courtesy of my heart. It is a privilege and I hold the right to take that privilege away at any given time. As per contract I do not have to give any set amount of notice when I raise rates. Over the past two years I could have termed your contract over any of the above 7 policies that you broke. I also did not have to accept your late written notice. Truly speaking I could have told you due to the fact that I was not given written notice of termination on October 1st you would be required to pay for the month of November as well. That would have left you owing me $725.00, rather than the $425.00 you owe me now. I’m sorry but I am not working the rest of the month at $21.00/day and dealing with all the stress and tension you are causing me on top of it.

I am really sorry that our relationship is ending like this, but unfortunately you have made it clear to me that our friendship was only in place as long as your discount was in place.

Signed, ******.
Angelwings36 01:07 PM 10-05-2011
I don't take someone slamming the door on my face lightly. I am trying to be as professional as I can be in this situation. Terming her at this point would leave me out money for the rest of the month and that is not something I want right now. However, I do have this statement in my contract:

If the childcare provider is treated inappropriately, disrespected or harassed by the parents childcare services can be immediately terminated by the childcare provider. In this case any fees paid prior will be non-refundable.

So if I get any more 'attitude' from this mom I will be terming on the spot.
sharlan 01:08 PM 10-05-2011
I would have written that email and destroyed it before sending it. I think you would have been better off just terming her and letting it go. IMHO, and take it for what it's worth, you are causing yourself more drama with this parent than necessary.
daycare 01:17 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I would have written that email and destroyed it before sending it. I think you would have been better off just terming her and letting it go. IMHO, and take it for what it's worth, you are causing yourself more drama with this parent than necessary.
sorry I have to agree with sharlan.....
Less drama is the only way.

Next time email it to yourself, or print it out sign it and then tear it up. You gave this mom a ton of ammo to come back at you with.

Be ready for her to put on a show later today at pick up.
Angelwings36 01:21 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
sorry I have to agree with sharlan.....
Less drama is the only way.

Next time email it to yourself, or print it out sign it and then tear it up. You gave this mom a ton of ammo to come back at you with.

Be ready for her to put on a show later today at pick up.
Ya I know. The great thing is she is my VERY last pick up. The other great thing is if she puts on a show I will term her on the spot. She doesn't have other childcare lined up at this point so can't really afford to be out of a daycare either. I wanted to term on the spot for her slamming the door in my face and I agree I probably should have ripped the letter up and termed instead but I hate EVEN MORE termination on the spot. lol
Kaddidle Care 01:23 PM 10-05-2011
One of my Co-workers has a theory about acting when angry. She says to always wait 24 hours. I have used her method and it works well. I remind my husband to do it as well especially when it comes to work matters. We call it the "24 hour rule".

Next time, if there is one, give it a day before responding.

That said... I don't blame you. She could have hurt you or one of the children by acting so childishly and slamming the door. She could have even hurt her own child.

Good riddance to her. Go wash that babe out of your hair!
kendallina 02:06 PM 10-05-2011
I sent dcm this email. I know she is going to be livid, but I don't care anymore I am tired of dealing with her breaking my policies all the time and even more so at a discounted price. Tell me what you think.

After a week of thought and careful consideration I have come to a decision. Based on today’s actions and all past problems I have tolerated from you, your “discounted price” is being expired. On Friday September 30th you made a payment towards your monthly daycare cost for October for the sum of $225.00. Based on my regular full time rate your balance owing is $425.00. As per contract fees are to be paid prior to your child attending daycare. The $225.00 payment covers you until Tuesday October 11th. A payment of $90.00 will be needed on Wednesday October 12th, prior to your child attending that day, in order to cover the last three days of care before your mid monthly payment. The remaining balance of $335.00 is due on Friday October 14th in order to avoid a late fee of $10.00/day. Please make sure that these final two payments are paid in full on time.

Over the past two years you have broken the following policies:

1. Dropping ***** off before my opening time of 7:30am every single day until the month of April 2011 when I finally started locking my door until 7:30am. In one month you made me work over an additional 7 hours just from dropping off 20 plus minutes early. After I started locking my door you still approached my door before 7:30am and allowed ***** to bang on it for sometime upwards of 15 plus minutes. This was extremely disrespectful to the very little time I have with my family in the morning. On top of that there was a number of times that I was unaware that my door was unlocked and you proceeded to let yourself in before 7:30am. When I made the remark that it was not 7:30am yet and I didn’t realize my door wasn’t locked you laughed and responded with, “Yeah, but its 7:25am so close enough.” Believe it or not those extra 5 minutes do mean something to me in the mornings. As per contract: The provider will never accept an earlier than 7:30am drop off and the daycare doors will remain locked until 7:30am on the bell.

2. Sending ***** to daycare with toys. As per contract I do not allow outside toys in the daycare. There was actually a few times that you made me spend 15 plus minutes at the end of my day to search for a toy item that ***** had brought in. I am not responsible for any outside items that get lost in my home and this is exactly why I don’t allow outside items in, in the first place. As per contract: Please do not bring outside toys and/or activities for your child as conflicts between your child and other children in the daycare are prone to take place. Also I will not be responsible for any outside toys that get misplaced in the daycare.

3. You insisted 4 months ago that I cut out *****’s nap because he was not sleeping well at night. As per contract: All children in childcare must have a rest period.

4. In March of this year I changed my hours on Friday so I could close at 4:30pm. At that time I was not aware that you could have used your EDO time to pick ***** up earlier on Fridays. For this reason I stretched my closing time on Fridays for you. In one month I worked an extra 3 hours just for you. It was rude of you to not mention the fact that using your EDO time for Fridays was a possibility. Had I realized this I would have made it mandatory that ***** be picked up no later than 4:30pm on Fridays to begin with. As per contract: I will charge a $15.00 late fee for every 15 minutes (or part of 15 minutes) that you are later than 5:15pm to pick up your child on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday or later than 4:30pm to pick up your child on Friday. As per contract you should have been charged an additional $45.00 for picking up at 5:15pm on Fridays. I think you took for granted that I didn’t enforce this policy.

5. On two separate occasions you told me that you wanted to pick ***** up during the daycare naptime. As per contract I do not allow any drop offs or pick-ups during naptime as it disturbs the children in my care. The last time I told you no you got upset with me and stormed out of the house. Later that week you brought it up again and slammed your van door. As per contract: Pick up and drop offs during naptime will not be allowed as it disturbs the children.

6. During the winter of 2010 you did not bring ***** dressed properly for the winter weather, not even once. I even went to the extreme of providing you with a pair of winter boots so that he came in proper footwear, you did not use them once. As per contract: Please bring appropriate out door clothing. Please be sure that your child has appropriate food wear each day they attend daycare.

7. You failed to give me a written notice upon termination. I think you are taking for granted that I was nice enough to type you out a termination letter and print it off for you to sign 5 days after I would have allowed anyone else to do so. As per contract: A one-month advance written notice when terminating childcare services is required. Families are responsible for their regular payment during that time whether your child is in attendance or not. Families are responsible for their regular payment during that time even if the childcare provider was the one who chose to terminate services. Termination notice can only be given on the 1st of any month

In the long run ***** your “discounted price” was offered to you out of the courtesy of my heart. It is a privilege and I hold the right to take that privilege away at any given time. As per contract I do not have to give any set amount of notice when I raise rates. Over the past two years I could have termed your contract over any of the above 7 policies that you broke. I also did not have to accept your late written notice. Truly speaking I could have told you due to the fact that I was not given written notice of termination on October 1st you would be required to pay for the month of November as well. That would have left you owing me $725.00, rather than the $425.00 you owe me now. I’m sorry but I am not working the rest of the month at $21.00/day and dealing with all the stress and tension you are causing me on top of it.

I am really sorry that our relationship is ending like this, but unfortunately you have made it clear to me that our friendship was only in place as long as your discount was in place.

Signed, ******.
So you basically just raised her October rate by $225 with no notice??? Just because it's not written in your contract that you don't need to give notice to raise the rate doesn't mean that you shouldn't give notice...

I understand that this parent has bent the rules and that's made you upset, but this will only cause more problems. Sending this email with every gripe you have about her will not help at all. Each of these issues should have been dealt with immediately and appropriate action taken at that time.
Angelwings36 02:07 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
So you basically just raised her October rate by $225 with no notice??? Just because it's not written in your contract that you don't need to give notice to raise the rate doesn't mean that you shouldn't give notice...

I understand that this parent has bent the rules and that's made you upset, but this will only cause more problems.
It was either that or immediate termination. I chose one of two evils.
daycare 02:22 PM 10-05-2011
well I guess you can look at it like this. You cant change what you have already done, meaning you already sent the letter.

Honestly, you kind of acted just like the mom did when she slammed the door in your face by reacting when angry and you should NEVER stoop to a clients level when they behave this way.

You are just going to have to deal with what comes your way now because of this letter.

If I were you, I would call LIC and give them a heads up about what is going on. Expect a report to LIC from this mom and a visit.

I know its hard to deal with parents like this, but you must always take the higher road. It can take only one unhappy parent to ruin your childcare business.

Hugs to you and i really hope that nothing comes of this...
nannyde 02:24 PM 10-05-2011

I understand that this parent has bent the rules and that's made you upset, but this will only cause more problems. Sending this email with every gripe you have about her will not help at all. Each of these issues should have been dealt with immediately and appropriate action taken at that time.
I think she did it over months with a fifty dollar a month increase until the client was at normal rate.

The client termed before it got past fifty dollars increase.
kendallina 03:02 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I think she did it over months with a fifty dollar a month increase until the client was at normal rate.

The client termed before it got past fifty dollars increase.
Yeh, but in the email she just sent she changed the Oct charge from 450 to 650, even though she originally said she would just do a $50/month increase. Don't get me wrong, I think OP should be getting paid a full amount from each family, but she originally told this mom she'd just raise it by $50 and now she's going back on that and charging the full amount this month.
Meyou 05:41 AM 10-06-2011
Yeh, but in the email she just sent she changed the Oct charge from 450 to 650, even though she originally said she would just do a $50/month increase. Don't get me wrong, I think OP should be getting paid a full amount from each family, but she originally told this mom she'd just raise it by $50 and now she's going back on that and charging the full amount this month.
So she should just take a slammed door in the face and a rude termination for asking her client to pay the regular price OVER 6 MONTHS??

Wow. I don't agree with sending a heated email to a client but I also DO NOT AGREE with provider abuse in any form.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 10-06-2011
Personally, I would just terminate, effective immediately, for the rude/disrespectful behavior (door slamming).

I would not have sent that e-mail because in all honesty, you are complaining to her about things that YOU allowed to happen. You cannot come back now and tell her that it wasn't ok. If you told her that it wasn't ok at the time of incidence, and she still kept doing it then again, you kept allowing it......kwim? You should have termed the first time she didn't follow policies after being warned.

However, what is done is done. I would term now and not fight over discounted rates and disrespectful behaviors. Sounds like this relationship is beyond repair and it is best to end it now before it gets any worse.
MarinaVanessa 09:26 AM 10-06-2011
I curious to see if there are any updates? Any news yet?
Zoe 09:41 AM 10-06-2011
I'm curious too.
kendallina 09:48 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
So she should just take a slammed door in the face and a rude termination for asking her client to pay the regular price OVER 6 MONTHS??

Wow. I don't agree with sending a heated email to a client but I also DO NOT AGREE with provider abuse in any form.
Uhhh...that's NOT what I said at all!

A client slamming a door and being rude that like would get immediate termination, not a rate increase.
kendallina 09:48 AM 10-06-2011
Would like an update...hope things are better today...

Unregistered 10:53 AM 10-06-2011
If she is your last client of the day, you should have verbally told her she was done and not sent an email. Face to face is the best way.

I agree, you like way too much drama........your feeding the fires.

I hope everything works out for you. I do feel your pain, but somewhere along the way you got sucked in, and let your emotions run this relationship, which should have been a business relationship. UGH!
nannyde 11:36 AM 10-06-2011
Oh I see what you are saying.

Yeah... it's words.

The mom isn't going to pay it no matter how the math is done and put into words.

Saying she now owes the whole 650 is the same thing as saying you are done now.

If I'm understanding the math the provider received 225 for basically three days of work (the third, fourth, and fifth). She's at a point in the pay cycle where she is ahead so if the Mom doesn't back down she gets to at least get seven days of pay without having the kid.

Usually when something like this happens and the client has already paid the money they will apologize and promise good behavior. They will also promise to go along with the rate increases... WHATEVER it takes to get the provider to give them the service up to the point where they have paid.

Once they have gotten the service they have paid for the balance of power shifts back to the parent. Then they can leave without notice and still have at least what they have paid for and the coveted last word.

I've seen this played out many times. When a provider knows a parent is leaving and they have upfront money... they fell way more comfortable to put the hammer down and often do so in a way that makes the client leave right away. That gives the provider SOME sense of winning and some money ahead.

A wise parent will say or do whatever it takes (short of giving more money) to get the provider to allow attendance until the next pay day... next power shift. It will entail a lot of crying and telling the provider how awesome she is and how she took such great care of the kid. If the provider DOES allow the kid to keep coming it's best to get IN WRITING from the parent all the great things she said to get the provider to finish out what is paid for. It's a good time to get that reference and a nice thing to show the DHS when they come out on the complaint you are sure to get.

Angels situation from what I can see is classic: A HUGE discount (93 bucks a week for a 151 buck a week slot) for something that really shouldn't be discounted (single parent), a ton of tolerating poor parental behavior, and time/money issues where the provider expected SOMETHING special or some consideration because of the all the special she's done.....

Then when the special discount is over the parent turns ugly, the provider has ONE moment to strike (when they have money upfront) so they take that time to even the score. Behavior that was tolerated many times in the past now becomes intollerable and termable.

Ugly situation
Angelwings36 01:29 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Oh I see what you are saying.

Yeah... it's words.

The mom isn't going to pay it no matter how the math is done and put into words.

Saying she now owes the whole 650 is the same thing as saying you are done now.

If I'm understanding the math the provider received 225 for basically three days of work (the third, fourth, and fifth). She's at a point in the pay cycle where she is ahead so if the Mom doesn't back down she gets to at least get seven days of pay without having the kid.

Usually when something like this happens and the client has already paid the money they will apologize and promise good behavior. They will also promise to go along with the rate increases... WHATEVER it takes to get the provider to give them the service up to the point where they have paid.

Once they have gotten the service they have paid for the balance of power shifts back to the parent. Then they can leave without notice and still have at least what they have paid for and the coveted last word.

I've seen this played out many times. When a provider knows a parent is leaving and they have upfront money... they fell way more comfortable to put the hammer down and often do so in a way that makes the client leave right away. That gives the provider SOME sense of winning and some money ahead.

A wise parent will say or do whatever it takes (short of giving more money) to get the provider to allow attendance until the next pay day... next power shift. It will entail a lot of crying and telling the provider how awesome she is and how she took such great care of the kid. If the provider DOES allow the kid to keep coming it's best to get IN WRITING from the parent all the great things she said to get the provider to finish out what is paid for. It's a good time to get that reference and a nice thing to show the DHS when they come out on the complaint you are sure to get.

Angels situation from what I can see is classic: A HUGE discount (93 bucks a week for a 151 buck a week slot) for something that really shouldn't be discounted (single parent), a ton of tolerating poor parental behavior, and time/money issues where the provider expected SOMETHING special or some consideration because of the all the special she's done.....

Then when the special discount is over the parent turns ugly, the provider has ONE moment to strike (when they have money upfront) so they take that time to even the score. Behavior that was tolerated many times in the past now becomes intollerable and termable.

Ugly situation
Nan you got that correct and that is how I felt.
nannyde 01:42 PM 10-06-2011
Am I good or what?
MarinaVanessa 02:02 PM 10-06-2011
So any updates yet? Has she shown up yet or contacted you?
Live and Learn 04:03 PM 10-06-2011
Never Ever send long-winded angry emails to dc parents. Totally unprofessional and stooping to their level.

You should have just termed her.
Tags:breaking the rules, letter samples, policies, rules, samples, single mom excuse, termination, termination notice
Reply Up